Yakima Loco Joe Bike Rack

The only insane thing about this user-friendly, three-bike trunk mount is the value!. Easy to install with Quick Trigger Hub System. Safely holds bikes with bike locators and specially designed straps. Six strap system provides a solid, secure fit to your car. Fits broad range of vehicles: sedans, minivans and hatchbacks (see Yakima's Fit List for details).

[Jun 05, 2013]
Darrell

OVERALL
Strength:

very secure

I just read a number of negative reviews & am very surprised, as I never had any prob at all with my LocoJoe

[Jun 26, 2003]
Taro

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap

Rack will stay on car but bike won't stay on rack (read the other reviews... they are not kidding).

Well, I bought this rack after having read other reviews indicating that the rubber straps holding the bikes down were useless. They are right. The reason I bought it anyway is because I also bought Velcro tape at the same time. I wrap the velcro around the rubber straps so that there is no way the rubber straps are going to work loose. I also Velcro the bike down to the rack itself so that it does not sway. I have had no problems. BUT, having once driven at high speeds without the Velcro on, I am pretty sure that the bike would have flown off had I driven too much longer or any faster. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO REINFORCE THE STRAPS LIKE I DID. IN STOCK FORM, THIS RACK IS PURE JUNK.

trunk

[Jun 16, 2003]
Stephen Kidd

Strength:

Rubber straps which are 'supposed' to hold bike in place

DO NOT BUY THIS PRIDUCT. Used thins product once on a friends car... I went over the installation procedure with a magnifying glass as we were putting 2 expensive bikes on it. It was installed properly and the straps were tight. The wind and bouncing for normal freeway driving is enough to disldge the straps... my bike would have flown off, had it not been attached with EXTRA ties to stop it from swingin and hitting the other bike. I nearly lost my most prized possesion, do not let this happen to you.

[May 28, 2003]
Linda

OVERALL

Strenght of rubber strap, cannot withstand highway speed. Worriesome wobbles.

On an interstate Highway at night my bike flew off my car.
Unfortunately my bike hit the car behind traveling at a speed of 70 mph. The only thing I can think of was that the straps are not strong enough to hold a bike. All instructions were read and assembly was correct. The rack stayed on the car, but my bike did not! The danger to car(s) behind you is not worth the risk of using this faulty and flawed product.
The idea that Yakima will not gurantee your bikes (when properly installed) is just plain wrong. When I called Yakima to complain, I was informed that I had to pay shipping to send the loco joe to California. At Yakima a committee would then decide- so what side do you think they are paid to take. To REI credit they refunded the Loco Joe. My bike was less than 6 months old and the trauma of seeing my bike fly from my car and smash into the cars behind me and financial loss is reason for you not to experience this. Please reconsider if you are planning on buying or using this product.

[Mar 31, 2004]
H

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive, secures to vehicle well.

Rubber straps come unhooked.

As previous reviewer noted, you MUST reinforce the rubber straps with a secondary fastener. One of the straps came undone the second time I used the rack. Fortunately the bike stayed put as I had used the ample extra webbing as secondary fasteners. Velcro straps sound ideal.

[Sep 16, 2006]
Marc

OVERALL
Strength:

doesn't scratch the bike

everything else

I've just completed installing a roof carrier on my car after a couple of years using Loco Joe. I'm a bike commuter (oddly, not an option to choose on this website), so I use the bike to get around the city, and not very frequently for excursions. I'm so glad to have finally replaced it!

Fortunately, I have no horror stories to convey but I think it was just a matter of time. It's taken maybe a dozen 3-10 hour drives, and my bike has come home each time. However, each of those rides had my driving like an old lady, because I never felt good about the security of the rack. All those straps holding it to my car, and still it always wobbly. I attribute this to the close position of the pads where the rack contacts the car (especially the lower contact point). Don't know if other trunk racks are designed this way, but it just seems like bad engineering to me. So, the bike wobbles side to side on every ride, no matter how tighly I pull the straps. Makes my nervous as all get out. And, as another reviewer mentioned, the bike waves in the wind, like a cape, unless you fasten it down with your extra strapes, rope or bungee.

The rubber arms that hold the bike never gave me a problem like to many other reviewers, though their design also made me nervous. Also, my car, freshly painted from the dealer is very scratched up as a result of using this product. I hope the roof rack feels better. I haven't even tried it yet. I'm tired of driving like grandma and pissing off other drivers.

With several adjustments and safety precautions not included with the package, someone might be able to make it more sturdy and trustworthy. Maybe.

[May 13, 2003]
Dave

OVERALL

I'm writing this out of a sense of responsibility to my fellow readers, after a disastrous experience with this rack. Imagine my surprise finding BOTH of the previous reviews discussing the same issue. One hasn't had bad luck yet, and questions the skills of the other, who had exactly my experience.

I attached a $3400 mountain bike to this rack VERY carefully on a friend's car (mine has a roof rack, much safer), and lost the bike at speed on Rt 680 near Concord, CA. Amazingly, the GT i-Drive frame and the Marzocchi QR-20 shocks survived intact, though the bike needs some work. More amazingly, the bike didn't cause a fatal accident. Sooner or later, an incident like this will kill someone, and a smart lawyer will subpoena both of us to demonstrate that we correctly used this rack before similar incidents. The damages judgement will put Yakima under, too bad because their high-end stuff is excellent. Oh yeah, and someone would be dead.

If you're so impoverished that you must use this product, or need to use it on a car you can't mod with a better rack, then anchor climbing webbing to the inside of the trunk like you were going to rappel off it down a cliff, feed it through the forward trunk opening, and positively attach it at multiple points to your bike(s) AND the rack itself. (I've hung off 6 pitch cliffs with nary a scratch, Mr. "Operator Error" is just surmising because he hasn't experienced this failure mode.) Yakima should take this product off the market, to protect the company.

[Jun 09, 2005]
amy buck

Strength:

BIKE FLEW OFF THE BACK OF MY CAR!

Yesterday my bike had 39 miles on it...today it may be put into the bicycle graveyard. I strappped my brand new carbon "baby" down with three straps on the rack. On the highway, at 70mph, I noticed my bike started bouncing around in back. It immediately flew up in the air and I watched it do cartwheels down the interstate behind me and came to rest in the passing lane. What a nightmare!!! I thought I was going to die running down the highway to drag it out of the road and get it back to my car. I can't believe other people have similar stories. I thought I was the only person in the world who had a bike fly off the back of their car into the road. This thing needs to be taken off the market. This is totallly insane that they still sell this thing. If there was someone directly behind me, they could of crashed & died. If I were to come upon another car with a rack on the back such as this one, I would get the heck out of their lane!

[Jun 14, 2005]
Jonathan Gilliam

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, Easy to install, after the first time you figure out how to get the thing on.

Anti-Sway straps slide around and sometimes unhook

So far, I haven't had a problem yet with the rubber hooks coming loose. Just make sure you pull rubber hook as tight as possible before you attach it and you should have no problems. Also as mentioned by others, there is ample webbing left over from the trunk straps, so use that to tie your bike down as well. Bottom Line: The rack isn't ideal but its good value for the price you pay and it works well if you use the straps correctly.

Car's stock roof rack

[Jan 30, 2005]
Brice

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap

Everything about it. Adjustment locks don't always work or "click" into place. Hard to mount to vehicle. Is not secure even when the straps were so tight they were bowing the trunk!

On the fith of June 2000 and 4 a day that will live in the minds of all that were pressent forever.
That morning my self, my brother, and on of my friends set out for Columbia and Jefferson City Mo to by our new bikes and get a rack for my brothers car. He purchased the rack and had a person from the bike shop mount it to the car properly. When then went to the bike shop were I was to purchase my bike, a Kona Dawg racked that on and headed for Jefferson City. As soon as we got on the highway we had to pull over and stap the bottom part of my frame to the rack because it was flying behind the car like a cape behind a superhero, luckely I had four starps on the frame. We got it tightened down and then went to the place were my friend was buying his bike a Specialized stumpjumper that was spotless. We put it on the rack and split the rubber staps up 3 on his and 3 on mine. We were coming down a hill on HWY 54, north of Jefferson City when the unthinkable happened, out of the corner of my eye I saw his bike move, I told him and as he turned around to look the rear end of his bike flew back of the rack hit the road pulling the font end off and then went tumbled down the HWY at 70 mph with peices of the seat thrown throught the air. He ran back and got it out of the median in which it had landed, and carried it back to the car both wheels severely bent and his seat and grips distroyed. Fork and frame were unharmed. His father and him worked on his wheels for several hours getting them as true as possible, and we went riding the next day. BOTTOM LINE don't trust this product if you have a bike that you mildly appreciate. It's JUNK. Use a truck bed or van that way nothing will get hurt!

Truck bed and van, Both provided a less nerve racking drive to our riding areas. A hitch mounted rack on a jeep worked fine for on ride.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.