Yakima King Pin Bike Rack

• Switchblade anti-sway cradles

[Aug 23, 2007]
Sarah B

OVERALL
Strength:

Little sway in the bikes at highway speeds. Easy to put on and take off hitch. Can be locked to hitch with optional $30 hitch pin lock.

I was so excited when I got this- so little sway in my bikes compared to my old Yakima ROC 2.
But then I noticed that the swing pin (which allows it to swing down so I can access the hatch of my car) has bent, making it almost impossible to use. Bent after 1 week of (light!) use? Come on!
I have the 1 1/4" hitch adapter- might not be a problem with the 2" hitch.
Also, there's not a way to lock your bike to the rack using a horseshoe lock- they tried to sell me the (optional, $30) internal cable lock, but one of those got cut off my other rack in about 35 minutes with a box cutter.

NO GOOD with the 1 1/4" hitch adapter. DO NOT buy this if you have a 1 1/4" hitch.

No help from Yakima- I described the problem and they told me to take it back and get another one. I told them it's a design problem, the SECOND poor design I've gotten from them in 2 bike racks (see my review for the ROC 2) and they said, "OK. Bye."

It's going back to REI (thank God I bought it there- full refund) and I'm not buying another Yakima bike rack. Ever.

Yakima ROC 2

[Nov 05, 2006]
alan lesesky

OVERALL
Strength:

Rock Solid Design

This bike rack rides like a charm on my Chevy SUV.

Thule

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.