Yakima Getaway Ball Hitch Bike Rack

[Apr 06, 1999]
Rick
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Very Strong And Durable, Easy Access to the back of my explorer. Unlike some racks this one locks. I took the locks of my Yakima Ski racks and used them for my bike rack.

The bikes sway to much. When you have two or more bikes the clang together causing scratches. I remedied the problem by going to the hardware store for some pipe insulation and cut it to fit the back triangle and the forks. No more scratches. They should make an attachment to keep them from moving.

It is a fantastic rack and much cheaper than the draftmaster. Yakima just needs to make an attachment for the down tubes to keep the bikes from swaying. But for now I will use the pipe insulation.

[Apr 21, 1999]
Eric
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

This review is for the Ultimate Getaway. Very easy to use with SUV and 2 hitch. Product swings out of the way, keeping the bikes level to access your liftgate. Bikes are held very steadily via the toptube.

My initial impression was of durability. However, after a year and a half of use, this rack is falling apart. The crank pin that secures the hitch has corroded and broken off so, I have to use a srewdriver to remove the rack from the hitch. The tubes that hold the bikes are now rusted with huge chunks of metal coming off and stress cracks around where it is clamped. The locks froze up and broke the key off in them so, I had to hacksaw the lock apart. I ride year round and leave the rack on my vehicle cause it gets used so much. This product cannot handle serious use and has been turned into junk by Michigan weather.

Initially I was very happy with my purchase. However, this product can't handle exposure to the weather and is now a rusted piece of junk after 1 and 1/2 years.

Thule

[Mar 22, 1999]
Moab

OVERALL
Strength:

This rack rules!!! The bikes dont move period.No sway,no bounce..just rock solid.

The price is 179$ plus $20 for 2 lock cores but this rack will last you forever!! Never need to worry about your bikes on your rack again.

This rack rules if your willing to shell out the bucks.

Rhode Gear 2 inch hitch mount was a piece of crap...took a drill and sledge hammer to get the damn thing out of the hitch.

[Jul 11, 2006]
Eric P.

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability, Ease of Use

Corrosion, Heavy

This review is for the Ultimate Get-a-way rack. I have something like 8-9 years of use on this rack and I just now had to buy some replacement parts for pieces that had rusted/worn out. The finish on the rack will not hold up to road salt, it's not the weather that causes this rack to rust, it's the salt. My biggest problem right now is that the crank lever rusted and broke off. A $5 part on e-bay solved that. Now I also need a new locking arm because I bent the bolt - I don't expect that to be expensive either. I just wish I could still purchase the 'plus two' extension for this rack! This rack rocks! I have not had any problems with bikes swaying when the clamshell is properly tightened. So many years, so little problems! High value and overall ratings!

Yak roof rack

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.