Yakima Frontloader Bike Rack

Available At
Best Price At

The Front-Loader does not grab paintedsurfaces and can handle disc brakes,Thru axles and funky suspensions. Fits factory, round and square bars with no adapters LockableTo crossbar and bikeTo rack (lock cores sold separately) AdjustsTo fit 20" bikes upTo 29ers

[Mar 03, 2016]
Matt N

OVERALL
Strength:

Versatility, Ease of installation, Ease of loading, Yakima Onekey System

Wind noise, front clamp leaves "love bites" on crossbar, range of adjustment on front knob needs to be wider

Room for improvement remains, but this is most versatile & convenient roof mount I've used in 35 years of cycling.

Pros:
Versatility: holds all our bikes *securely*, from daughter's 20" hardtail, to road bikes, to MTBs w/ 2.4" downhill tires.
Ease of installation: this is *big* deal in my book, since I swap bike racks for roof box on a regular basis. All hardware stays attached to mount, making swaps *much* easier than units w/ Yakima's bolt/clip/wingnut attachment, as well as Thule units w/ two bolts & wingnuts per crossbar.
Ease of loading: far quicker & cleaner than my fork-mount racks, especially w/ a dirty MTB: there are times you simply don't want to put mud-caked wheels *in* your vehicle.

Cons:
Yakima could refine this model by making detents for different front-wheel sizes on the front arm, and broadening the range of adjustment on front knob. My 27.5 bikes w/ 2.3" tires require the lock knob to be tightened *all the way* down for proper hold on wheel. People running smaller tires may need to adjust holder on front arm down to 26" position to get proper fit.
(I strongly suspect that the reviewer claiming that a bike "fell off" this rack failed to use common sense in selecting the best front-arm position to get adequate clamping force on the front wheel)
Further areas for improvement: Wind noise - no way around it, this rack has large frontal area. Rack system w/ one or two Frontloaders is much louder driving around unloaded than comparable setup w/ fork-mounts like Yakima's Forklift.
Front crossbar-clamp could use the same protective silicon rubber insert material used on the rear clamp. When torqued down enough to prevent sliding on bar, the front clamp leaves "love bite" indentations in plastic coating of crossbar.

[Jan 21, 2013]
Bridger
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to install
Don't have to take of front tire
Holds bike securely
Fits many tire sizes

Have to buy SKS lock keys separably
Can be hard to mount bike if you're short or have a tall vehicle

Great bike rack, it holds bike securely without needing to take off the front tire. You also have access to your trunk.

[Sep 13, 2012]
Kris
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Quick and easy to install on my factory crossbars, looks like it has plenty of adjustment to fit almost any crossbar out there. Strong, easy and convenient to put the bike up (don't have to remove the front wheel). adjusts to most front wheel sizes. Locks the bike to the rack and the rack to the car.

It would be nice if they didn't rock so much when taking corners but it seems to be a manageable amount and i'm not sure how they could do much better and still leave the front wheel on... Wish the bike lock was a little beefier and was locked to something metal, instead it's about 1/4 thick and loops through some hardened plastic. it's enough to stop the casual passerby from walking off with it but not secure enough that I feel comfortable leaving my bike up there overnight. I've seen some of the mounts that require you to remove your front wheel and they look much more secure. also this mount requires two SKS cores (one to lock the bike to the mount and one to lock the mount to the car rack) whereas the others only require one.

I have owned mine about two months (two of them) and use them 2-3x per week. Bikes are usually on my car for 30-60 minutes to and from my favorite single tracks. having a tall suv (explorer) tends to induce quite a bit of rock and roll to the bikes on top but they have held strong. I took a trip (2 hour highway , 1 hour mountain road each way) up to the mountains two weeks ago to do some biking and took several trips down unmaintained dirt roads where I thought for sure something was going to snap because the car was bouncing and rocking so much. They took the trip like a champ and I'm super happy with them. pretty sure they can stand up to most anything I'll throw at them at this point. Lifetime warranty gives me a feeling of comfort too if they do wear out and something goes.

[Feb 17, 2012]
Pastor Paully

OVERALL
Strength:

The rack is easy to load and unload. It fits on the factory cross bars just dandy. I take the rack off when I am not using it. I can have rack on the car and bike in the rack in under a 1/2 hour. I really like it.

I have two of these racks and one broke. I was turning and hit a bump while turning into a parking lot. I then heard a dreaded pop sound. The bike seemed fine in the rack, but after my ride I noticed that some of the thread came off the bolt for the wheel clamp and I could not tighten the wheel in the front loader. I brought the back to REI and got a new rack. I did replace it with the same one, and so that should tell you something about how much I like this one.

I trust the rack, and have only had one incident with it. I use it at least 3 times a week. I would not leave my bike in the thing overnight as the lock is a bit of a joke, but overall it has proved very reliable in hauling my bike from trail to trail.

Forklift

[Jan 16, 2012]
Puzman

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to install

WEAK materials... RACK BROKE ON FIRST USE, almost lost my brand new bike!

Do NOT buy this rack! I purchased this to carry my new Cannondale Flash, which requires an upright rack due to the Lefty. I securely attached the bike, and began the drive home. While on the interstate, I looked up through the sunroof of my car and noticed the bike leaning over at an odd angle. I immediately pulled over and found that the main pivot on the rack (ie the pivot on which the front wheel holder is attached to the tray) had cracked! This pivot is made of plastic, and I would not expect it to last long (mine lasted less than 30 minutes!). Purchase at your own risk!

Thule Velovise

[Feb 27, 2011]
T-Boomer

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to attach to OEM rails.

I am very pleased with this roof rack. It fits my Cannondale and my wife's Townie perfectly and allows easy loading and unloading. Has a built in lock and holds our bikes at highway speeds. Very convenient to keep the front tire on. The front tire is held securely and I cannot lift the bikes out of the rack when secured properly. The only downside is that the bikes and rack have a larger footprint with the front tire on causing more wind resistance, but the convenience for me far outweighs the extra drag. I recommend this rack to all those folks who want to load, unload and ride. No extra time wasted removing and re-attaching front wheels.

Yakima, Thule

[Feb 08, 2011]
jamfan

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to install, Fits factory rack perfectly

Hidden cost of having to purchase SKS locks separately.

This is my first roof rack product. I wanted a roof rack where I could leave the front wheel on. I was leaning towards the Thule Sidearm, when I learned Yakima release this factory rack friendly solution. It was very easy to install and the rack fits perfectly on my Honda Element's factory roof rack. The SKS locks were easy to install as well.

[Jan 05, 2011]
madriaanse

OVERALL
Strength:

Works really well - easy to use and clamps directly to my Subaru Outback's roof rack without further adapters. It holds the bikes securely and I've never had any issues

rear strap barely fits large tires

It's great and I would recommend this product. Looks good on my car.

[Nov 07, 2010]
dpawelczyk

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks, Ease of installation to factory bars

Does not hold bike on car

Rack was installed on Audi A4 Sedan to factory crossbars. Carrier stayed on, new mounting system seems to work great and easy to install and take off. However the rails that the bike sits on, unlike the older high roller model, in combination with the front piece which holds the front wheel to the carrier, allows the bike to move its way off the rack. In my case, my Trek Fuel, while traveling 6o mph on the freeway, flew off the car onto the freeway. I will be contacting Yakima during business hours tomorrow and will write a follow up review of their response. Please do your research or go see this rack in person. If Yakima wants to prevent this rack from being recalled, I'm no scientist, but they should include a strap which wraps the front wheel, applying some direct downward pressure to the front of the bike. Unfortunately, I did not listen to my inner-skeptic, and the front of my bike lifted upward, out of the front of the "frontloader" and onto the freeway.

Thule Big Mouth

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.