Yakima Bike Bike Rack

[Oct 05, 2010]
Rappy

Everything

My friend bought this rack and it was really hard to put on compared to the Saris, The rubber latches are super hard to latch. I hated this rack even before my friends bike hit the freeway, because one of the latches failed. Please go with any brand other then this, but I do love the Saris Bones.

Saris Bones

[Jun 22, 2010]
HS

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to load bike onto roof rack

Difficult to tighten cam grip on cross bar

The rack has always been a problem from the very first day. Had to constantly check to make sure the cam grip was tight to make sure the rack was secure. As some one has mentioned with vibration they loosen up. Finally a disaster happened. Just returning from a trip in the mountains with two bikes on the rack. Checked the rack before leaving and everything was secure. After driving on a slightly bumpy highway for about 150 miles, I stopped and did a recheck of all supports. About 100 miles later in gusty winds the bike rack lifted off the car and landed in the middle of the highway. Problem, the cam grips worked themselves loose in the gusty wind. How lucky no one was immediately behind me, it would have caused a major disaster. One lucky thing was the rack landed on the highway with the bikes upright and the bikes only took some road rash but no major damage. The rack was completely destroyed. Do not buy this rack.

[Nov 29, 2009]
darkman

OVERALL

I had the exact same experience as your user chrisharjes. Than you chrisharjes for extensive review. I wish I saw it before I bought this product. It was the same problem with the Q towers. I was driving on the highway going surfing when I lost the front bar of the rack together with my surfboard. You can imagine the horror of me running on the highway to pick up the peaces so other motorist do not get injured. I sent the rack back to Yakima. I waited for like 12 weeks with no response. After 12 weeks I contacted them twice before they responded. Again, they said it was my fault because the racks were adjusted 1/2" too wide! If I have adjusted them that wide they would have fallen like months ago. Anyway, they offered me some money back and refused to repair my vehicle. I suggest if you decide to buy this product better make sure you get the exact measurements from Yakima for your vehicle.

[Nov 09, 2008]
chrisharjes

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks cool, lots of neat little accessories

Falls off cars on the interstate

I've used Yakima products to haul bikes, kayaks and couches for years and years. They've established a reputation for dependability, but have lately allowed their quality to slip substantially. I bought a full Q-tower setup for my 2008 Honda Civic early ths summer, meticulously installed it per factory directions, and used it for only six weeks before the entire system flew off my car at 70 MPH with no warning whatsoever, destroying my wife's and my surfboard. I borrowed her car the next day, also with Q-towers, and noticed the rack slipping off as I tied my new(ish) mountain bike on for a ride.
I asked around, and was amazed to hear that several friends in the southeast (eleven so far) have had the exact same thing happen with Yakima Q-towers on Hondas and other sleek, low-profile vehicles. The clips they use attempt to fit multiple car models, and do so poorly. The Q-tower locking mechanism has an inherent flaw that allows road vibration to gradually loosen its grip, resulting in catastrophic failure.
When I contacted Yakima, they lied. "Q-towers work excellently, even on Hondas- We have had very few reports of failure." They weren't happy that other folks were telling me about these common failures, and continued to deny them despite more incoming reports. Yakima asked me to send the rack in for analysis, at my expense, then refused to offer restitution for my surfboards or vehicle damage. They have even failed to refund my money for the defective product. If you choose to buy a Yakima rack, be ready to get the cold shoulder when your bikes get rag-dolled across the interstate!

Thule

[Sep 22, 2008]
slow learner

OVERALL
Strength:

Versitile! Fits both my vehicles. Carries bikes in the summer and skis in the winter.

expensive!!

Solid rack. Several parts (e.g. hinges on ski rack) corroded and I had to replace with stainless components. In fairness, my rack is 10 years old.

I have had two (I guess I'm a slow learner) encounters with my garage. The Q-Clips bent slightly some of the plastic covers broke. Additionally, the Raptor clamp broke. However, damage to my car was far more costly. The rain gutters sustained some damage, the rack feet dented my roof in 3 places, and bolts from the Yakima caused a 3 inch gouge in the paint and a 1/2 inch deep dent in my roof. I can't really fault the Yakima for my stupidity but it sure would have been nice if the rack would have seperated cleanly from my car.

[Mar 17, 2002]
Andrew Marcucci

OVERALL
Strength:

(With Fairing)-->Looks, Low wind Noise, Ease of assemble. Your Bike is very secure and that's what you want with $1840 Dollars on the roof!

Buy It, it's worth it!

[Feb 21, 2006]
Kyle

OVERALL
Strength:

Stong, secure, and most importantly, looks good!

Price.

This review is for the Q-Towers with the stretch kit.

This rack is easy to install and very strong, if you follow the instructions carefully.

When I tried putting the rear cam covers that came with the stretch kit, they wouldn't fit so I called Yakima. They said that some of their dealers were selling an older model stretch kit and that the only difference were the covers. They sent me the new cam covers for free.

The only downside I've found so far is the price. But when you think about how many roofs Yakima had to destroy to get a rack like this to fit right, it justifies the cost.

Putting bike in the backseat of a 2 door Ford Focus.

[Feb 21, 2006]
Kyle

OVERALL
Strength:

Stong, secure, and most importantly, looks good!

Price.

This review is for the Q-Towers with the stretch kit.

Putting bike in the backseat of a 2 door Ford Focus.

[Jan 04, 2007]
Larry

OVERALL
Strength:

Rack performs well. Good instructions, easy to install. I have used YAKIMA bike carriers as wekk, but THULE will work. Decent locking system. I am sure you could probably punch one with a screwdriver and make it work, but hey you could do the same with your car.

Cannot get Q clips for newer vehicles.

I travel quite often with my job. I get a new company vehicle every 12 - 18 months. I try to always take my bike because you never know when you will get a chance to ride. I chose a roof rack because you can move from vehicle to vehicle by changing the Q clips. Much cheaper than installing a hitch on every new car. At any rate, I have a 2007 Impala. Had this vehicle for four months. I have contacted YAKIMA 5 times over the four month period, and they still have no clips identified for the 2007 Impala. I have been told by Chevrolet that there are basically no changes from the 2006 model, and asked YAKIMA to check the fit......still nothing.

To make a LONGGGGGGG story short, I have been without a way to take my bikes with me for four months now. Bottom line...if you pan on keeping your vehicle for 4-5 years and can find a fit, buy it. If you plan to change vehicles every year or two and need to get new clips...BUY A THULE.

If I could get parts to move this rack between vehicles I would give a much higher rating. Because I have a rack I cannot use with one of the best selling vehicles in the US (a car that has been out for 6 months)...it sux.

[Jan 24, 2002]
hanoverfist

OVERALL
Strength:

Ohmigosh! After using this rack for 2 years it finally happened... I drove my bikes, rack and all, into the top of my garage! This rack is balls on strong. The Qtowers are designed to break away and did just that. This spared my bikes and my roof. The entire setup peeled off the top of the car and hit the floor. With the exception of a very small scratch in the paint, I was spared damage to my beloved ride.

None. Easy setup, excellent engineering.

Get it. Get it now. I was able to purchase a new set of clips and reinstall the rack on my car as if nothing had happened. The modular design is perfect for MTB riders who are hard on their gear.

Thule

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.