Yakima Bighorn Bike Rack

Bighorn rear-hitch carrier accommodates up to 4 adult or children's bicycles and fits any 2" receiver hitch. Swiftly swings down to allow easy rear-of-vehicle access. Soft, sturdy, stable cradles work in unison with World Straps to hold bikes firmly to the frame while preventing sway. Large hitch bolt and insert nut securely fasten mount to the hitch, preventing both rattle and sway. Heavy-duty steel mast and welded arm are built to provide maximum strength; durable, powder-coated finish keeps the rack looking fresh. Lock loop allows for the use of a security cable (sold separately).

[Nov 29, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

sturdy

does not have a chance of holding 4 bikes. every bike I have put on the thing has been damaged by the rack in one way or another, whether it be the screws that hold the end pieces on, the bike retainers sliding around causing the bikes to slam together or the rubber straps rubbing stickers off. I even had to cut pvc dividers to hold the retainers in place.
Mean while my buddy has an el cheapo hollwood rack that while it does not hold the 3 bikes it is supposed to it has not damaged anything we have put on it.

find something else to use, dragging your bikes by a chain behind your car may be a better option.

first bike rack

[Jul 07, 2008]
ryan4isu

OVERALL
Strength:

relatively easy to load bikes

rubber straps are poorly designed and may slip off at highway speeds...if you own this rack or buy it make sure to fortify the existing straps with bungie cords or straps. Two rubber straps that may not necessarily be engineered to the size of your bike are not to be trusted when going at highway speeds.

While driving back from riding the Katy trail last weekend we lost my Giant Yukon off the back of this rack. We think it happened somewhere West of Columbia but didn't realize it was gone until someone drove up beside us to alert us to the bad news.

Basically the rubber straps can not be trusted to secure your bike. If you are looking for a bike rack get one with straps that have clip adjustments similar to how a zip tie works. Those will be much more secure and allow you to drive worry free.

[May 08, 2008]
Dr. PK

OVERALL
Strength:

After reading the reviews here, I decided to go for the Yakima bighorn/ Buckhorn-4 instead of the trunk mounted. I tried the truck mounted as it was cheaper and easier to handle, but wasnt stable at all on my Honda Accord Sedan. This one is very stable and strong. I completely trust it to take my bikes. Also it is easy to remove when done and fits into my trunk. Easy to assemble too. Worth the price and efforts.

My wife and I have 2 bikes. I think it is great for 3 bikes and not four, unless they are kid-bikes.

Thanks a lot for your reviews!

-- I had to fit a hitch on my car for this, costing $200.
-- The bikerack's bolt hole would not align with the hitch, so I had to get a part of it sawed off-- no cost but extra hassle.
-- On freeway, at 70 miles/hr, I usually get 35-40 miles/gal. With the bike rack and bikes I see about 20-25 miles/gal. However, if I reduce my speed to about 60-65 mph, I see an improvement to about 25-30 miles/gal.
-- The drag is noticeable, and I can see that a smaller car may have problems, especially in windy conditions.
-- My bikerack model (1 1/4 inch receiver) drops down and does not slide sideways, making it not-so-easy to open my trunk. But not a biggie.

Surely go for it as long as you are not driving too far with it-- I am afraid it will eat up too much gas.

Trunk mounted 2-bike carrier-- Saris, I believe.

[Jan 25, 2007]
Charles Wiley

OVERALL
Strength:

Well-built, strong, very stable bike attachments, can load 4 bikes, swing-down for hatch access.

The arms don't fold-down when bikes are not loaded.

We have this mounted on our Toyota Sienna. Mounting 4 bikes is no picnic, but in the right order, with the cranks in the right position, we've loaded 4 bikes on it several times. The attachments are very secure--when a bike is strapped in it's not going anywhere.

I'd love the convenience of fold-down arms or the swing-away, but I didn't want to pay for them--so this is what I've got and I really like it.

I wouldn't put this 4-bike rack on a smaller car or with a wimpy hitch. But for our situation, it's perfect.

Trunk mount racks

[Oct 06, 2006]
RON LEVITZ
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

VERY SOLID, GREAT DESIGN, BIKES DO NOT SWAY AND FIT PERFECTLY ON TO THE MOUNTINGS. STRAPS ARE STRONG AND KEEP BIKES FROM MOVING. THE BIG HORN 4 IS QUALITY BUILT.

SO FAR SO GOOD, HAVE NO COMPLAINTS.

I REALLY RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT. I DID SO MUCH RESEARCH FOR THE RIGHT BIKE RACK. IT PAYED OFF. THE YAKIMA BIGHORN 4 IS A GREAT PRODUCT. SOLID, STEARDY AND A GREAT RACK FOR THE MONEY.

BELL BIKE RACK, VERY THIN METAL AND BIKE SWAYS, NOT RECOMMENDED. 50 DOLLARS CHEAPER, BUT YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET!! THE BIGHORN IS FAR SUPERIOR.

[Aug 03, 2002]
Tim

OVERALL
Strength:

You can almost put any type of bike on this rack.

It is almost impossible to put four bikes on the rack. It is somewhat difficult installing bikes on the rack and you can easily scratch paint and decals. Original bolt and nut stripped and had to be replaced.

I had the rack for a year and when the bolt got cross threaded becasue the nut moves in the hitch, I took it to Rack and Roll for repair. Those guys did a great job in fixing it but I decided to upgrade to a Sportsworks rack that I love!!! Bighorn is a good low end rack if you only want to haul 3 bikes.

Sportsworks

[Mar 23, 2005]
Mark

OVERALL
Strength:

Holds the bikes well with minimal sway and rubbing.

Feels like a parachute on the back of the car because it creates so much drag. Would be tough to get 4 bikes on it.

First of all, I bought a hitch mount system because I thought it would have less drag than a roof system. I was dead-wrong on this assumption.

This is a decent rack for the money, but I would not recommend it for people who have smaller cars. The rack is fine, but there are two problems when you have a small car:

1. The weight of the rack and bikes relative to the car is quite a lot, so the bikes, rack, and rear end will sway in the wind or with bumps.

2. It creates a tremendous amount of drag off the back (I think more drag than a roof system). My gas mileage dropped from ~24mpg to ~14mpg with this thing on the back driving from Idaho to Utah. Smaller cars with smaller engines will be more greatly impacted by the additional drag, so the engines will have to work a lot harder to overcome it.

As to the previous post about the civic, I don't think 4-bike hitch mounts are a good idea with a class 1 receiver. You should have at least a class 2 and probably higher to handle the weight. I also think the 1 1/4" version (which I have) is probably less stable than the 2" version.

Bottom line is that I will probably return this to REI and trade it in for a roof rack. Wish I would have spent what I paid to install the receiver on a roof system to begin with. I don't think there is a better way to carry your bike than with a fork-mounted roof or truck-bed rack.

Yakima and Thule roof racks

[May 27, 2004]
Dr. Radical

OVERALL
Strength:

Relatively cheap with hitch when compared to full roof system to carry just two bikes. Strong. Can fit most bikes easily.

As mentioned by others it does take some work to get four bikes on it, but you can and it holds up fine. Just remember the order of bikes that works best if you haul the same ones. This will definitely save time.

Good product for the money. The swing down feature helps to access the back, but still hinders somewhat. If you want more access to the back get one that fully swings out. Although this will cost quite a bit more. Will be taking it to Idaho soon from AZ and will update afterwards.

[Aug 31, 2004]
Dr. Radical

OVERALL
Strength:

Stable, relatively cheap

Arms stick out and do not fold down when not in use.

This is a follow up. I was asked by Carol about it bouncing. On my long road trips I had four bikes on the thing and it did bounce some, but other than that it worked great. I am not sure how much bounce is supposed to be there, but it did not seem too bad to me and everything is in tact after many uses. I would just keep an eye on it to make sure your hitch itself is tightened down, bolts on rack are tight etc. Otherwise it should be fine. Maybe you should also check the tongue weight of the hitch you are using. If you are exceeding it that could be the problem.

[Jun 12, 2002]
Steve Mizak

OVERALL
Strength:

Sturdy construction, good mounts for bikes, great rack for the price!

Tough to get four bikes on this baby. Three fit real well though.

If you are looking for a well built rack that won't beat up your bikes or your wallet this is the one. The mounts hold the bikes very securely with no movement. Just don't expect to easily fit four bikes onto this rack. It can be done, it just takes a little effort.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.