Thule Tamden Bike Rack

Thule 558P Carrier forTandems and Recumbents, pivoting fork mount enables easy one-personTandem loading, rear ofTray can be removed for hatch clearance and when carrying conventional bikes locks not included Item Specifications MaximumTire Width 2.3 ins

[Mar 09, 2015]
P-Dub

OVERALL
Strength:

First off I purchased this tandem carrier used for a great price, so my value rating would be based on buying new. The carrier was pretty straight forward to install on Thule Crossroads 450 square bars. In the instructions it mentions mounting them directly over the rail mounts but in my case the mounts would not fit as they were too wide (think Thule has made an updated fix - extra wide metal plates) to handle the extra width. The instructions go on to say never mount the carrier outboard of the rail mounts, so that left me mounting them just to the inside. With the carrier being just inside when I went to load the tandem on myself using the swivel for mount the crank would be too close to my vehicle, even with the window down (and my vehicle - 2012 Jetta Sportwagen is quite low to the ground). So, I have resorted to loading the tandem onto the carrier with my girlfriend and the swivel head staying affixed. I have also noticed quite a bit of flex/swaying when driving with the tandem on the roof. Seems all the pressure is on the fork mount and can be a bit unnerving when driving on the freeway for an extended period of time. I wish there was a support arm either towards the center or the rear of the carrier to offer additional support when transporting a 40# tandem on long drives.

The swivel fork arm needs to be like Yakima's tandem carrier that is off center and offers more swing-out for easier loading. More support for a tandem bike towards the rear to help stabilize any movement of the bike.

See strengths...

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.