Thule T2 Bike Rack

Available At
Best Price At

The Thule T2 2-Bike Platform Hitch Rack is a premier platform hitch rack that offers maximized features, performance and convenience fit for both serious and casual riders. The rack utilizes a combination of a reinforced tray providing maximum strength an

[Aug 28, 2016]
Tom O.

OVERALL
Strength:

- Easy to use

- Bike attachment feels secure

- Built like a brick house

- As heavy as a brick house

- Need an adapter for fat tires

Platform-style, hitch-mounted racks are far better than any other rack option. That is, unless you like tearing your rotator cuff trying to put your bike in a roof rack, scratching up your trunk with a trunk-mount rack, and/or scratching up your bike on a non-platform rack.

The review by WA-CO pretty much captures my exact feelings. I probably will never need another rack. Still, I haven't tried any other hitch mount racks, but my guess is that a lot of them work about as well as this one.

[Aug 08, 2016]
Margie Lynch

OVERALL
Strength:

Ease of use for standard bikes
Price

Does not really accommodate fat bikes
Fastener at hitch regularly comes loose

When I decided I wanted this general type of rack, it appeared that none of the great racks on the market easily accommodated fat bikes. And some were super pricey. I thought I had found the right balance with the Thule T2, advertising 5" trays at a reasonable price. When REI had its 20% off sale, I jumped. My bad for not bringing my fat bike with me to try out before buying.

For my regular 27.5 inch mountain bike, this rack is fantastic. Same for my road bike. Super easy on and off, I love it. My fat bike, with 4.7" wide tires, does sit nicely in the Thule plastic tray. But I couldn't pull the ratcheting arm with hook up past the Bluto shock on the front! I fiddled and torked and worried about scratching the heck out of my bike. I did finally get it on, by depressing my tire really hard and deciding heck with the scratches. The ratchet clicked once--the arm/hook was pretty much at its full extent. Plus, the straps for the rear wheel are barely long enough for my 2.3" tires on my 27.5" bike. They are nowhere near long enough for the fat bike tires. VERY disappointing.

Another thing I've noticed is that my rack starts bouncing because the split washer fastener for the pin attaching the rack to the hitch receiver doesn't stay tight. I now carry the right socket and ratchet with me at all times.

[Oct 14, 2015]
WA-CO

OVERALL
Strength:

It works really really well. Bikes are secure
It's heavy and pretty strong.
Replacement parts are available.
Compared to what it hauls, it's relatively inexpensive (how much is your bike worth?)
It's moderately easy to migrate from vehicle to vehicle.

It's kinda bulky and difficult to store.
It's bricksh*thouse heavy, so scarf your Popeye spinach.
Some parts are plastic, but I've never had that be a problem.

There are nicer racks out there. The 1Up is a super nice set up. The Kuat is pretty nice too. Got nothing against Yakima racks either, but here is the deal. These things are super popular for a reason. This Thule rack has been in existence forever. It keeps getting better and better. Ask people who have them.

I snagged one of these off CL for 300 bucks. It had been riding around on a car who's user never really used it. Since then it's been on the back of no fewer than 5 of our cars. Worked perfectly each and every time. Never a problem.

Additionally, you can replace nearly every single part on this rack. How many racks can you say that about? The ratchet mechanisms work well, their Core Lock system works nice. I think its a great rack.

Set it up right, take good care of it, and you'll never need to worry about your bike again.

Thule Truck Rack
Thule Roof Rack
Yakima Roof Rack

[Aug 12, 2015]
Mike Sears

OVERALL
Strength:

Price is alright

I had a $5K bike fall off the rack when some bolts came loose on the tray. There is a hole at the end of the main rail where you can put a bolt and nut to keep that from happening. When I contacted Thule about it. They became defensive and nasty that number 1 they would not repair my bike (which I didn't expect them to) nor would they replace the part when the tray came off the rail. Which would have been nice but I really just wanted to suggest a fix for the rack which might cost them $1.00. I will never buy a Thule product as their attitude with me was just atrocious. I typically buy a rack every couple of years and will go with Yakima or Saris in the future.

Crap

[Sep 24, 2014]
Jim Hike

OVERALL
Strength:

Well, it works. I can't really say if it is better or worse than some other racks that have a similar style. It's really easy to raise, lower, add bikes, remove bikes, and install or remove rack. Holds one or two bikes securely...I believe there is also a four-bike option but I haven't tried that one. Hitch can be 2" or 1 1/4" (I think)....I use the 2"...not sure how strong the smaller one would be.

Minor, but the straps are not part of the rack...so you could lose them...but this is NOT a problem! You might want to fold the rack up if you are in a crowded area or in a tight parking lot. It takes a little extra time but it's worth it. I had my Thule T2 hit in a parking lot when it was down (probably hard for cars to see when it's folded down...it's pretty low to the ground)...I was just getting something in the bike shop for a minute! Even a small "collision" will mess up your rack pretty bad and keep it from folding up or down easily.

Great product. See if you can find it on sale from Rack Attack or other big dealer. I"m guess there are other similarly designed racks that work just as well.

[Feb 16, 2014]
PeteV

OVERALL
Strength:

Very easy to operate

The latches and wheel straps

I've had two thule T2s in the past 6 months go bad on me. The first one, the arm that goes over the tire had the latch go out and almost dump my carbon trance off the back. Not cool... the second rack had the wheel strap break within two weeks of use. I finally traded the second T2 in for a similar Yakima rack and am much more impressed. Assembly on the Yakima is much faster and seems quite a bit more sturdy. Don't waste your time or money on the Thule.

[Feb 04, 2013]
Morals

OVERALL
Strength:

Robust Construction, Folds up tight to vehicle, When extended can access rear window, expandable

Nothing yet.

Got the rack for $350 I think...maybe $300....I don't remember, but it's a great rack. Solid as heck, easy to use. No frills, just solid construction and dependable thus far.

I liked the cores that were included. I think all too often a company these days would just leave out the cores. Sure, the price might be a bit lower in that case, but then you have to go through the hassle of ordering some. That's just my take on it. I never leave my bikes in a place they might be stolen for any amount of time at all. Perhaps here and there, and I run the cable. If someone wants your bike badly enough....they'll take it.

[Oct 11, 2012]
TheBlueMajestic

OVERALL
Strength:

• 20% discount + no tax + free shipping are easy to find online. Do the math, you can easily find this for a great price.
• Compare Thule's 4-bar pivoting system to their competitors. It's much more solidly built with absolutely no wobble.
• Being provided with a locking hitch bolt + security cables + 3 core locks makes the 916XTR T2 a great value.
• The trays are mounted to the main assembly via a clamp design. For me, this is a good thing as it allowed me to adjust the spacing between bikes because my girlfriend's handlebars were on top of my saddle. Other designs are fixed and non-adjustable.
• The space between the 1st bike (closest to the vehicle) and the rear bumper is huge! I can easily access my cargo area without having to "shimmy" through a tight fit. I thought I would need a swing-away rack like the 9031 Vertex Swing but that's not the case.

• The rack itself is heavy which leads to a "durable feel" but when loaded with 2 full-suspension bikes it takes some strength to raise and lower the entire assembly.
• It's made out of steel so over time I know it’s good looks will be marred by rust. I may spend some $ to have the rust removed and the rack re-finished.

Something to consider when griping about only receiving 3 locks cores even though there are 5 places for them. The SecureHook doesn't need a lock core. A thief just needs to deflate the front tire and remove the front wheel. It's better to reserve the 3 included lock cores for the hitch pin and 2 security cables. This way you can secure your bike at a post-ride coffee shop or while picking up some bananas at a grocery store. For extra security, buy a U-bar style lock and cable. Run the cable through the front tire and a secure to the U-bar. Run the U-bar through the seat tube and rear tire. When locked, this will secure both tires and the frame.

[Jun 13, 2012]
Beanz

OVERALL
Strength:

Mounting bikes is quick and easy; does a good job holding the bikes so far; accommodates 29" wheels; easy to fold up/down

Rust easy. Clamps don't hold the trays secure enough. Didn't come with enough lock cores. Ratcheting system that goes over front wheel came with loose, stripped screws and has a lot of play in it, looks very cheap and flimsy. All of the locks look very cheap and are poorly made.

The trays do shift around, I don't care how tight you get them. That's why I did what others have said and got everything where I wanted it and drilled holes and taped it (threaded). It is a lot more secure now. My biggest peeve about this rack is the ratcheting system that comes down over the front wheel. The plastic housing looks like it wasn't made to fit the metal bar that runs though it. It is very loose and looks as if I were to hit a bump hard enough it would disengage the ratcheting mechanism and then I would be picking my bike off the road, not to mention maybe injure the people in the car behind me. Yakima's HoldUp Rack looks to have a nicer ratcheting system, and it's made in the good ol' USA. I should have never bought a Thule, very disappointed. I should have spent the little bit of extra cash and bought the Kaut NV 2. Kaut makes some very solid looking bike racks.
Had to spend an extra $70 to get more lock cores because I wanted one key to match all locks. I paid $360 at Agee's bicycle shop in Richmond, VA. Definitely not worth the grand total of $430. This rack might be worth about $199.

[Mar 08, 2012]
SVF

OVERALL
Strength:

Mounting bikes is quick and easy; does a good job holding the bikes; accommodates 29" wheels; easy to fold up/down

The rack doesn't come with enough lock cores to outfit the entire thing. So you have to buy more and considering the quality of the lock cores they are ludicrously expensive. I spent another $80 just on lock cores. Could have bought just enough to outfit the rest but I wanted 1 key for every lock on the rack.

The rack sticks out a good bit and scrapes on the ground when going up any moderately steep hill. This of course depends on your vehicle and as I drive a Ford Taurus it's a somewhat unusual configuration. It should be fine on a truck for instance. No significant damage yet that would affect the structural integrity, just scrapes.

Finally...the front wheel arms. At first they worked great although I was surprised at the amount of play in them. However, the locks in them are very poorly designed. As in, the locks that require you to insert a lock core and turn a key to ostensibly lock the lever so that they can't be removed. They don't work. If you cinch the bar down on a wheel and lock it, it is indeed hard to push the levers down - referring to the lever you press down to unlock the bar and free the front wheel. However, all you have to do is apply moderately firm pressure and wiggle the arm and it pops right up. Extremely disappointing, but even though I wasted money on that lock core I overlooked it because otherwise it worked fine.

Next problem...after a few months over the winter (not a cold winter mind you, this is Atlanta, maybe 20-30 F at the absolute coldest), the arms because much less dependable. Rather often they just don't lock on their own. There are no clicks when you try to cinch the arm down and when you release it it will just pop back up. The solution is to hold the arm down on the front wheel, and while doing so pry the lever up with your fingers so that it will engage the teeth and stay put thanks to the tension from the tire. So far this has worked fine, but I just don't feel like I can trust the rack anymore. For the price ($400 but I got a 20% off coupon from REI) this is unacceptable.

I'm about to drop a few grand on a new bike and I think with it a new rack as well. Just not worth dropping a bike and potentially causing an accident...nevermind the cost of the bike!I bought this one over the similar Yakima because it had an attachment that would allow you to carry four bikes. However the new Kuat rack will have a similar option and I may go that route. It is pricey but not unreasonably so over the T2, and the build quality is stellar.

It's possible that I received a bad rack and I may end up replacing it with the same one thanks to REI's stellar return policy. If I do I will report back about the new rack to see if the same problems surface.

I really wanted to like this rack and did a lot of research, even trying a trunk mounted rack before deciding that it wasn't for me. I can overlook a LOT of issues with a product but the one with the arms not locking is just too much to live with. That's most of the function of the whole rack! It is probably a simple fix and I may pull it apart but again, I shouldn't have to at this price point.

Having said all that I would recommend it to a friend assuming they bought it from a store with a good return policy (REI for instance), they needed to possibly carry more than 2 bikes someday, and the Kuat was too pricey.

Trunk mounted rack...never again!

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.