Thule Insta-Gater Bike Rack

Best Price At
Available At

TheThule 501 Insta-GaterTruck bed bike carrier allows youTo easily mount your bike in yourTruck bed without removing anyTires. Fits 20" - 29"Tires upTo 3" wide Note: Should not be used with bikesThat have a headTube angle lessThen 68°

[Nov 22, 2018]
MultiRider

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely easily use — takes a minute to install and less than a minute to remove Securely holds the bike in the truck The only part of the pike touching the truck are the tires They only part of the bike being touched by the rack is the front tire Very secure and stable

I have had no difficulties getting it secure and tight, but have heard other people may be having that trouble. I wrapped mine with an innertube between the rack and the tailgate. That little bit of compression ensures a great fit.

Purchased:
New
[Mar 09, 2010]
nomad57

OVERALL
Strength:

simple, easy to mount and dismount....easy bike mounting

the mechanism that cinches down the rack to the tailgate is weak

I bought my first rack two years ago and it has worked great..installation is easy as well as mounting the the bike. It has worked perfectly. Heard bad things about the optional lock so I didn't bother to order one.
Problem is when I got my second one. After only a couple months the rivit that holds the adjuster to the rack pulled out. Repeated calles and emails to Thule got me nowhere. I have a pop rivit gun so I fixed it myself. Sloppy quality control I guess.
Overall it works good for what it was designed for and it's the only way I'll transport my bikes in my truck. Definetly beats laying it down or using tie downs.
Would give full chilis but very disappointed in Thules customer service

[Nov 24, 2009]
monstertiki

OVERALL
Strength:

Very durable, fast and easy setup.

Should come with the lock.

This rack is very simple to install/uninstall. Also it feels very durable and seems like it will end up lasting several years. I installed this rack in less than a minute. I also had my bike loaded in under 2 minutes, that includes setup time. My only gripe with this rack is that it should come with the lock. If you don't have a locking tailgate than the lock wouldn't be very useful btw. Otherwise I find this rack to be perfect for me because it is simple to use and seems very durable. I'm gonna buy another one soon so I can carry 2 bikes this way.

Hung bike over tailgate on a blanket.

[Sep 28, 2009]
tony_tiger_35

OVERALL
Strength:

Fits 26 and 29er tires, FAST to get bike in and out, sturdy once cinched tight

Must cinch past first click to hold correctly

This is a great product for the money. You need to cinch it down at least two clicks for 29" tires to make it hold, but once it is held nothing is going to make it come off :)

[May 09, 2009]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

Very easy to install, works well with road and mtn bikes

If no locking tailgate, bike can be stolen easily

A great cheap bike rack, especially useful for the truck owner. No need to remove the tire, and with a locking tailgate, the bike rack can be locked. Well built, and secure.

[Mar 21, 2009]
chuckc381

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to install, adjustable. Don't have to take the front wheel off to use. Made in USA

None yet

I got rid of my car and bought a full sized pick, and was tired of laying my bikes in the bed. I wanted something that was easy to use and not have to take my wheel off to use it. This was the only rack I found that met those expectations.

Was a little skeptical about trying it for my 29" after reading the reviews. Sport Chalet had it on closeout, plus another ten percent off, and they said I could retirn it if it didn't work.

Installed in about 2 minutes and held my mountain bike and road bike fine. No complaint, seems very stable.

Yakima Viper

[Jun 02, 2007]
Mark

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast and easy to set up. Holds bikes pretty stable.

Expensive! Your bike is betting its life on a lot of rubber and plastic. But the rack does seem strong.

Worked great for my wife's 26er. Sets up fast and stable. Loading and unloading is quick and easy. No front tire removal! It held her bike pretty stable during an easy ride, but not quite as stable as I expected based upon the reviews here and other places.

However, it would not fit the big wheel on my 29er (stock Gary Fisher Paragon), even though it is advertised to fit 29" tires. The locking arm was long enough, but the "locking ratchets" would not engage to lock the bike down. The tire was simply too big.

None.

[Apr 06, 2007]
Russell

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast in and out. It solves the problem of mounting 20mm axle bikes in your pickup.

The bike is supported by the front wheel only and will pitch violently if you hit any bumps diagonally with your truck, i.e. driveways, speed bumps, ruts etc must all be approached straight on.

Not really a great product, but for bikes where removing the front wheel is difficult (4 bolt 20mm axle) it seems to be one of the few options out there. Only but it if you absolutely need to carry your big bike upright. On the plus side, it really is fast and easy to use. Forget the lock; it's totally useless.

Yakima roof mounts, fork clamp style brackets

[Sep 28, 2006]
YetiMan

OVERALL
Strength:

Portability, Stability and Simplicity. This rack is great for pick up truck's bed. Just place the racheting strap tabs of the bike rack in between the bed and the tailgate, voila instant bike rack. The racheting swing arm of the rack then grabs your front tire of the bike, up against the rack and the tailgate for a solid stable mount. When you get to the trail just dismount your bike, open the tailgate remove the rack and place it inside the cab so it doesn't walk away from the truck bed while your out riding.

The lock on the arm is kind of useless, you will need a cable lock to keep the bike rack and the bike. Thieves can just open the tailgate and off they go with the goods.

If you want a rack for the pick up truck bed, and still have full use of the bed after the bike ride this is for you. Very portable nothing stays in the bed permanently, it takes 2 minutes to mount and dismount the rack.

[Mar 28, 2008]
Justin

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to mount/use/store

Perfect for the back of a truck. MUCH better than having to remove the front tire...sure it doesn't fit a road bike front tire, but it fits on the rear so who cares. Buy it!

Bed of truck

• Available At
$142.95

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.