SeaSucker Mini Bomber Bike Rack

The Mini Bomber is our newest and probably our most versatile model. Two-bike fork-mount rack designed to attach to your car’s roof or trunk, or your SUV’s back glass. Can be configured to hold one bike and a front wheel, or three bikes – ask us how! Plastic body flexes to conform to your car’s curves. FOUR 6” SeaSucker vacuum mounts give this rack plenty of muscle. Includes two 6” Rear Wheel Straps. ¾” black HDPE body for strength and durability. 23”x9” footprint.OPTIONS: For $30, you can upgrade to the Delta Bike Hitch Pro fork mounts. The standard fork mounts are, well, pretty standard. The Delta upgrades, though, are lockable and are a little more heavy-duty. The real reason to get the upgrade, though, is that the Delta fork mounts open much wider when you release the lever. This means that once you have it set for your bikes' forks, you don't have to tighten or loosen the acorn nuts on the opposite side every time you put your bikes in or take your bikes out of the mounts as you do with the standard fork mounts.

[Dec 01, 2018]
owtdorz

OVERALL
Strength:

I recently purchased the Sea Sucker Minibomber for our vehicle. This is my take on it. The thing is incredibly easy to install which makes you think you may not have done it right. It is not suction cups they are vacuum cups. That being said they hold vacuum very well. After mounting it to the car I grabbed it and shook the whole car. The one thing you have to consider is making sure the surface of the car and the cup are faily clean. I usually always have a soft rag in the car so that's not a problem. I was also worried that it would leave marks on the car. It does leave a mark but not a permanent mark it seems as if it's residue from the cups. I heard not to use it after a fresh wax coat. It will lift the wax and leave a ring. When storing the rack make sure to put the protective covers on the cups. They help keep them clean and free from any damage. The wind noise is there too depending on how it's mounted as well as the type of vehicle. (That's what the volume knob on the radio is for) As far as holding up to speed? I had to pass vehicles and I hit 90+ and not a problem. I also drove on some less than ideal roads and never had a problem. The company says you should always check the vacuum cups from time to time. That's not a problem for me, I always check the bikes at rest stops and gas stations. I have Thru Axles on the bikes and did not purchase the wheel holder instead I put them in the back seat or trunk. If anyone is on the fence about making the purchase I suggest to buy it. They are not cheap but neither are my bikes or cars.

not sure of any

Purchased:
New
[Sep 20, 2012]
Everette Winslow

OVERALL
Strength:

Once you get it set, it is fast, easy, strong, and does not mar the finish on my convertible.
It is easy to store.
The parts are easily replaced (not that I have had to do so yet).

It is a bit pricey.
You have to take it off when you get where you are going so it doesn't get stolen.

I have researched SeaSucker for a while. I started with a Saris Bones RS. However, my convertible's trunk is hinged at the front and the rear so as to allow for hard top stowage. Because of the trunk mechanism, the frontmost edge of the trunk was lifting at speed, on account of the wind resistance. Given that I did not want to purchase a new trunk mechanism, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a Sea Sucker Mini Bomber. I read a bunch of reviews and opinions written by folks who do not own the system or do not trust it, but none of the naysayers made any logical sense. There is a ton of redundancy built into the unit, and the only weakness I saw was the single-cup rear wheel holder, but that doesn't really do much if quick release is good and tight. Besides, I also purchased a Flight Deck add-on, which allowed me to carry two bikes without having to put a wheel in the trunk. As a result, I have both single and dual suction cup rear wheel mounts. I have used both, and haven't had any problems with either.

Not wanting to trust the hype, I decided I would put the rack to the test before I trusted my bikes to it. First, I mounted it on the wide hardwoods that comprise the floor of my office and invited people to pull it up. Nobody was successful. Later, I put the rack on my car and drove around like a mosquito on dope. Nothing. Then I left it on overnight. No loss of suction. Afterwards, I mounted a few crappy steel-framed kids bikes on it (without remounting or pumping) and went down the highway at 90 mph for about 20 minutes. No problems. I went to an empty parking lot turned corners like a madman. Nothing. Concerned for my paint, I checked everything when I removed the rack, and everything was fine. Finally, I mounted my FS mountain bike and my road bike on the car and drove for about 45 minutes at about 70 mph and everything was just peachy.

I can't say enough wonderful things about this rack. It has handled everything I have thrown at it, including an unpaved alley, without budging. Maybe my tests were a bit extreme, but I wanted to be sure I could trust my rather hefty investment in aluminum and carbon fiber a bunch of suction cups. I was so happy with it that I ordered a Talon.

Yeah, it's pricey. Yeah, it's novel. Yeah, it is the only thing short of a trailer hitch that would work on my car. Yeah, it was worth every nickel.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.