Saris B.A.T. 999 Series Bike Rack

• Carries bikes, skis and snowboards.
  • Compact wing and reversible arm allows you to hang bikes with the ability to carry small frames, women's frames, and unique frames.
  • Rack doesn't touch your vehicle -- just your hitch.
  • Tilts out so you can get to the rear of the vehicle.
  • Rack and bikes are lockable.

• USER REVIEWS

[Apr 20, 2011]
    woodgrain

OVERALL
    Strength:

It's versitility when bringing other people's bikes other than your own. It's easy to use and I like it's tilt down feature so I can lower my tailgate on the truck.

Like all things made these days, it has plastic involved. It hasn't failed me yet after years of use, but it will like anything made of plastic. Luckily they have parts available that may fail.

All in all it's a good product that has served me well with road bikes as well as my mountain bikes. I use a frame adaptor on my Klien Mantra to make it fit better on the rack, but that bike is unusual. Some girls frames might need a frame adaptor as well for an easier mount.

Tule products

[Oct 22, 2008]
    k-j-e

OVERALL
    Strength:

Saris's customer service is top-notch. The bike rack itself does not have any strengths.

The plastic piece that holds the bike will most likely fail at some point. It may drop your bike on the highway, like it did to us.

If you have this rack, find someone that will take it as scrap metal and get a different Saris rack. If you are considering buying one of these used - DON'T.
    We had this rack for years, and we knew how to secure our bikes. But one day as my wife was driving, she looked in the rear view mirror and her bike was gone! We searched the side of the highway, but we never found the bike. Saris's customer service was very helpful - after a thorough review of the situation, they sent us a different rack and a check to partially cover the cost of a new bike.
    IMO, Saris must know these racks have a poor design, which is why they discontinued the line and compensate people when they fail.

Rocky Mounts roof rack

[Sep 25, 2008]
    Anonymous

OVERALL

Just a followup to my previous posting. I contacted Saris about the rack and the events of that fateful day. They were actually quite nice to deal with. Although, no admission of poor/faulty design was conceeded, they did offer up 1/2 of the replacement value of the bike and will be sending along a replacement rack. In this day and age where nobody takes Customer Service seriously, I think the folks at Saris held true to their word and stepped up to the plate make things right (at least partially). Thanks Saris!

[Sep 03, 2008]
    Anonymous

OVERALL
    Strength:

simplicity in attaching to vehicle

little sloppy in the hitch which causes sway in the rack even if you tighten the threaded hitch pin. This past weekend while traveling to a road race, I had a carbon fiber bike slide off the rack - BAT wing and all. Thank God nobody was hurt. Poor design with the rubber straps to hold the bikes in place, the dials can be tightened the entire way and the BAT wings still slide. For these reasons, it is no wonder that they have abandoned the BAT wing in favor of a newer design.

I would recommend that you purchase another design (yes I realize that Saris no longer makes this one), but for those of you looking to buy a used rack of this model - DON'T. I am sure that the newer designs from Saris are far better. I have little confidence in this rack after having had this experience. I may take the lead from the previous posting and see if Saris will take this one back and send me a newer model.

[May 23, 2008]
    Peter H

OVERALL
    Strength:

Simple and flexible

Bat wings are brittle

Unless design has changed: I have owned Saris Batwing carrier for about 10 years. I have found none of the issues mentioned by other reviewers. I have driven thousands of miles over interstates with variety of bikes on this rack (I am not a slow driver). The rubber straps are very secure. My only mishaps have been at too high of a speed on a dirt road with huge dips or holes. My Ford Expedition almost went air borne and one of two batwings broke (but bikes stayed strapped to the broken wing). Another was in my Jeep on sand road in Jersey Pine Barrens. Dip was too deep and the bike tires bottomed out and jammed back up through rack. Once again one of two bat wings broke, but the bikes stayed strapped into broken bat wings. Neither time did the bat wing break completely nor did the bikes fall at all ("just slumped on partly broken wing).

The only way for bike to fall off with the wing attached driving on interstate is if the wing was not tightened or the end of the frame are stopping pin was not installed. Either problem would be the person putting the bikes in the rack, not the rack manufacturer. Any rack improperly used can cause damage to a bike.

I've always have concern of wheels not being supported by other than quick release hub. At times I have duct taped them to the frames, but I've never had them slip or fall, only worried about it.

I have had duct tape mar my bikes' finishes, but not the rubber rack straps.

[Jun 23, 2003]
    Nunya

OVERALL
    Strength:

Solid post. Allows trunk to open.

Wing design and strength. I have the b.a.t 999Q Rack. The adjustable arm on one wing sheared completely off due to wind force while I was on the highway with my bike mounted. The system for attaching the bike is insufficient. I've found that the rubber straps and shallow grooves on the bat wing do not hold the bike in place. At highway speeds the bike will blow off the pegs. Thus I have to add additional straps to hold the bike. Also the system that tightens the wing onto the post is insufficient. After tightening the wing as much as possible the whole assembly will still move along the post.

Not recommended

Cheap trunk mounts.

[Jun 01, 2003]
    Keith

OVERALL
    Strength:

Could be a great rack for someone looking for a rack with a 3-bike capacity.

I bought the 999D, which is advertised as a 5-bike compatible with the optional B.A.T. wing (model 999A). I wouldn't want to put 4 of my bikes on this rack, much less five. The rack is much too short. To advertise this rack as 5-bike compatible is rediculous. The 999D ("Deluxe" model) includes a rear tail light that is a piece of junk. Great idea that was poorly executed. My kid's have toy flashlights that are better quality then this.

I'm looking for nothing less than a full refund.

[Oct 04, 2003]
    Denny Oberg

OVERALL
    Strength:

Ease of setup...very durable...fits most if not all bikes...keeps the bikes stable while driving.

None, so far.

I did a lot of researching before I made the final purchase of my Saris B.A.T. Rack and I believe I got the best rack for the money. I agree 100% with the other positive reviewers when they say that those who gave a negative review must be doing something radically wrong in the setup. If you set it up right, you won't experience any problems (unless bike straps start breaking with wear). We just drove today over some bumpy roads at 40 mph and with highway speeds of up to 75 mph and though there was some bouncing at times, the bikes never hit each other and the straps stayed in place. I have an SUV with a tailgate that opens; I just rigged the rack so it tilts back about 4 inches and it opens up fine. I couldn't be more pleased with this rack. If you are really serious about getting a good rack, listen to the positive reviewers and buy the Saris with confidence. Then read the simple directions that come with the rack and experience the ease described by us, along with the durability and stability one would expect from a company that has been making racks longer than most other companies out there.

None.

[Jan 02, 2002]
    Jeff

OVERALL
    Strength:

Looks slick. The support tube and hitch adapters are sturdy.

Saris maintains that the BAT wings can adapt to any frame. This is not true. The rubber straps cannot hold most bikes in the cradles at highway speed or over rough roads.

I wouldn't recommend this rack as it currently sells. Saris needs to rethink the BAT wing engineering. If you have this rack and are stuck using it, I would suggest picking up some standard back pack tie downs with a cinch. If you loop them over the wing arms and double tie the bike with them you will not lose your bike on the highway. I know this defeats the supposed ease of loading your bike, but, it is better than loseing your bike.

Thule

[Sep 13, 2001]
    chris

OVERALL
    Strength:

can rotate bottom wing for different frames

overall design. Straps will not hold bike on rack when moving no matter how tight you set them up. I have the 1 1/4" hitch model on a sedan and the bike blows off the rack.
    Its also difficult to put the bike on the rack with the BAT design. I would have bought the yakima, but they dont make the anti sway design for the 1 1/4" models.

If you have a SUV it will probably work OK. I gave it one chili overall because my bike starts to come off the rack everytime when I go 55mph.

yakima

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.