Rocky Mounts Pitchfork Bike Rack

This easy-to-use quick release system makes loading your bike a snap.

[Mar 07, 2013]
Janico (NorCal)
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

This rack works great, is straightforward to use, and looks great. I own two, and would purchase them again in a heartbeat.

I actually had the block assembly fail due to a bad cast, and contacted Rocky Mounts regarding the issue the customer service was outstanding, and they really took care of me.

I would only consider Rocky Mounts if purchasing another set of roof racks because of their outstanding customer service, and because they really do stand behind their products.

[Mar 28, 2012]
Stephen Brault

OVERALL
Strength:

Clean look

Doesn't fit Mini Coopers, the hatch will hit it when you open it

Do not purchase this product if you own a Mini Cooper Please read my e-mail to rocky Mounts and there response, they know it doesn't fit.

I recently purchased a Euro Pitch fork through Amazon as I had a few Amazon gift cards. This is my 3rd gift Rocky Mount bike rack I have purchased over the last 15 years. There seems to be a few design flaws because if I mounted the rack as instructed, I cannot open my 2007 Mini Cooper hatch without hitting the rack, with or without the end cap. I mounted it using the rear holes in the nose section and if the rack isn’t all the way over to the outside of my factory rack, the hatch still hits the rack. It does not fit a Mini Cooper and you should not advertise it as so. My previous pitchfork I had to purchase the mountain bike attachment and I had to cut the end of the rack several inches so it would not hit the hatch when opened. There is a pattern here, your design team is not doing their homework. That being said, I will not purchase nor recommend your products to any of my teammates. I belong to a bike racing team (60 + members) and the largest tri team in the New England region ( 300+ members).
I’ll get off my soap box now.
Regards,
Steve

Stephen,

Thanks for the email. Sorry you do not like the product. Our Euros are actually our fastest growing product with positive feedback all over the country.

I do want to clear up a couple points though. Design Flaw? While the Mini does seem to be a car with a growing popularity it pales in comparison to other care sales. The reason we designed our racks with added length is to appeal to cyclists. 29ers and thru axels are becoming much more mainstream in the cycling community and the old 43" trays were not long enough to accommodate the wheelbase of these changes. It would seem strange to make a rack that can not accommodate a large market share of bikes and instead appeal to a small market share of cars... right?

While we realize it hits the hatch on some years of the Mini (depending on the spoiler size and crossbar position), we also give you the option of mounting the rack on backwards. This would be the easy solution and solve your issue immediately. With that being said we also understand you might not like the "look". In which case you can cut off a small section of the tray (which you discovered). While inconvenient, it works and will allow you to have the best looking, best priced and most practical fork mount on the market on your Mini. We don't put that in the instructions because we don't want people cutting their trays without some idea of what they are doing.

Lastly we would ask that before bad mouthing our products and small company to look at the rack and remember you are driving a Mini. It is named the Mini because it is a small car. With small cars come unique situations. Throwing out the statement that "we are not doing are homework" is a broad statement for this situation. While we would like every customer we have to love our product we realize that we are going to have some outliers. As a small company trying to compete with the big boys we have to make decisions that appeal to the largest market share so we can keep the lights on.
You can now have your soap box back. Thanks for letting me use it.

Noah

[Jul 12, 2010]
VicnPA

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks, easy to use, Rock Solid

The Rocky mounts lock cores SUCK. Very hard to lock and unlock, key has to be held just right, can take some fiddleing to get it to unlock

Best Rack tray on the market for the monsy, looks great and has lots of stainless parts.

Yakima

[May 31, 2010]
baymoe

OVERALL
Strength:

Fantastic selection of colours available that no other manufacturer offers. Great quick release and terrific construction. I have the Euro Pitchfork which attaches via a plate that slides inside the Thule Aero bars (so no outer straps!).

Due to the way it attaches to the Thule aero bars, heavier DH bikes may pose a problem as not the entire aero crossbars are used, only the slot on the top side.

Clean looks, inexpensive, and a solid. Definitely recommended!

[May 12, 2009]
reggie44

OVERALL
Strength:

Picked up a couple of these and they are awesome. my old thule trays were all hacked up from trying to get my disc brakes to fit, so i threw down for some new ones. the bike is rock solid and the QR is the easiest i have ever used. the tray is really stiff, and i was surprised at how good they are being less expensive than the thule ones.

all the bolts included were stainless steel, except the back one. not a big deal, and a big improvement over the regular steel bolts on my thule racks which rusted pretty quick.

would get them again in a heartbeat.

thule velo vise

[Apr 27, 2009]
givemecinco

OVERALL
Strength:

ease of use and the quickness bike is mounted and unmounted. great for track bikes and fixies and even my old Schwinn tiger cruiser...

not offered in camo color, not enough free stickers in the package.

great value on a good rack.

yakima lockjaw, rockymounts noose.

[Apr 27, 2009]
Dave H

OVERALL
Strength:

fantastic bike tray. MUCH less wind noise that previous trays (had yakima and older Rocky Mounts versions). quick release is awesome, disc caliper relief built right in. love the quick pull strap on the back wheel.

none. only wish they still had the dark green color...

buy this bike tray. WAY better than any other i've owned.

older RockyMounts trays, yakima

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.