Rhode Gear Super Shuttle Bike Rack

Super Shuttle

[Jun 28, 2003]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

Very adaptable -- I've used it on five or six different vehicles with minimal hassle.

Reasonably secure -- Holds the bikes well (but see weaknesses).

Watch those straps! They loosen. Getting the rack mounted is a cinch, but once it's loaded, you have to perform a bit of a dance, tightening straps, driving a bit, tightening straps a bit more, etc. Be sure to hitch up the extra slack, too. A couple of half-hitches help keep the strap from loosening.

Since I drive a little 4x4 now, I prefer to just leave the rack mounted to the spare tire, now that it's all tightened. But I do inspect the straps on a daily basis.

Easy to use; reasonably secure; good value for the price (8 years ago, anyway); adjustment of the loaded rack is essential; inspect all parts regularly (every time you use the rack; daily if you use the rack daily).

None.

[Jul 14, 2007]
Bridget

OVERALL
Strength:

Easily fits on muliple vehicles, does not scratch paint (my husband's main concern!). Great value for the money!!!

I wish there were some way to lock it to the car- I like the lady's suggestion about the cable running from the tow hooks underneath- I'm going to try that.

I happened to run across this CHEAP! at sierratradingpost.com as a closeout- $90 retail, got it for $25 with a free shipping promotion! The arms are a little wobbly, but my bikes are always secure. Mine has the velcro straps that securely tighten bikes up to the arms, but it was suggested in the instructions to use additional tie-downs so I use bungees to secure tires and such to rack- with that the handlebars don't move and the pedals don't spin and hit the car. I have taken this rack on trips as long as 4 hours to the mountains with two mountain bikes and never had a problem. You can get this rack as tight as you want pretty easily- like one guy said, pull the rack toward the side you want to tighten then pull the straps tight and put a little half-hitch past the buckle. Do that on both sides and that thing isn't budging. Also, I went from a trunk mount to a hatchback mount (on a Mazdaspeed3) which has a back wiper and a wide roof spoiler and had no trouble getting it to fit and not scratch the paint (my husband is very paranoid about that). I love how quickly I can take the rack on and off my car, and that I can still use my trunk/hatchback with it attached. Lastly, I don't have to take off my front wheel to transport my bike. Personally, I think anyone who wants an easy-to-install and use bike rack should buy this. Someone who invests in very expensive bikes might want to invest in a more expensive roof rack just for the simple facts that it would make it harder to steal if the rack were not so easy to get off the vehicle.

none- took off wheel and put in the back of my Jeep- worked great until I got a car

[Oct 22, 2002]
Greg

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap.

Scary. Dangerous.

Beware this rack, it cost me my Cannondale hardtail. The rubber straps on the bike cradle broke without warning and dumped my bike on the interstate at 65 mph. I didn't notice until a couple of miles down the road and, needless to say, never found the bike. I had used the rack (skeptically) for a couple of years without any problems, always with the idea of eventually getting a quality roof rack. Take my advice friends, and don't wait. Spend the extra $ for the peace of mind and for the sake of your bike. If you must use this rack, inspect the straps for wear regularly and replace annually.

Yakima Terra Firma hitch rack. Yakima roof rack

[Feb 23, 2001]
Danny Wright

OVERALL
Strength:

uhhh can't think of any

Hooks bent my Van top. Straps don't stay tight. Generally a POS.

Don't buy this rack, I am getting a Draw tite hitch rack instead, this rack costed me a door on my van because it bent the top of my rear door.

none first bike rack

[Mar 27, 2003]
Tim Hilton

OVERALL
Strength:

Adjustable to anything with wheels

STRAPS!!! and retaining rubber

The rubber straps broke with no wear or warning at 70 MPH. I have tried to contact the company but have gotten nothing but a form letter. I did recover the bike but it was totaled. At least it gave me the chance to upgrade to a Cannondale Jeckyl. DO NOT TRUST THIS RACK!.

I use the inside of the car now thank you.

[Jul 25, 2000]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

Quick setup; stores easily

Plastic eyelets; doesn't seem too stable at highway speeds; trunk rack - won't do most FS bikes, trouble w/small frames

After one year of use, one of the plastic eyelets, holding two of the straps to my trunk broke. Fortunately, the bike wasn't damaged - but could have been. Their Customer Service dept. was excellent. They determined exactly what I needed, and sent me a replacement part immediately at no charge. Regardless, a cheap plastic piece of the rack did break, and I will forevermore be wary of using this rack as a result.

The rack barely fits a 16" hardtail - and is fine for anything larger. Anything under 16, and chances are you're SOL. Ditto for most FS bikes. Mine so happens to fit - but I got lucky - nothing against this specific rack here, this is just the nature of trunk racks.

I'm not very confident in the stability of the rack at highway speeds - but have never had a problem there either. The straps do loosen over a short period of time.

Probably among the better trunk racks out there - but be aware of this category's inherent flaws. Mine was free - so 5 flamers on the Value front. Minus 2 on the overall for the broken rack, plus one for excellent customer service.

Various roof racks

[Jul 22, 2000]
Kate Adams

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy on/easy off
Holds a family full of bikes

Built-in security is lacking (see below)

I'm going to buy the new super shuttle. I just read the reviews and it sounds good. I've owned the original model for almost a decade and it's shot after sever dozen thousand miles, usually loaded with bikes and lawn chairs and anything else we could get on it. We also need more space.

SECURITY KLUDGE for those who are interested. It is possible to lock your bike to your car and the rack to the car. Get some kryptocables or similar bike security cable. Loop them through the rear towing eyes on your car and secure them to the bikes and rack with the lock (cable or ulock)you normal use to secure it to a bike rack or street sign. Someone can still cut your straps, but they ain't gonna get yer bikes free of the towing eyes without a fight.

Towing eyes are loops of steel which are welded to the frame of your car and generally happen on each side just under the rear bumper.

Still own smooth-armed predicessor shuttle purchased in '91

[Jul 21, 2000]
Eric Myers
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

inexpensive, can fit on almost any vehicle, solid looking construction, simple design, Rhode Gear reputation/customer service

it's a trunk mount, no bike anti-sway devices

Initial quality seems very high. I was hesitant to trust my $2000 bike with a $70 rack, but Rhode Gear's reputation for quality was re-assuring. I'll repost after i put mucho miles on it. Check out Sears, they have it for $70. four chilis because i'm not sure how it will end up after several thousand miles.

many hitch/trunk styles

[Apr 11, 2000]
Mike C.

OVERALL
Strength:

Has many adjustments. I also like the cam lobe shaped "control blocks". I see the newer models have a new design. I think the old one is better.

My car ('95 Mitsibishi Eclipse) isn't on their list of cars to fit it on to. No real security from a thief.

It carries either bike securely. I like the cam lobe shaped control blocks because it keeps the bike from swaying back and forth. Although it's not meant for my car I found a way to secure it. The lower foam cushion that normally rests on the rear bumper is placed against my center reflector assembly which is a little concave. However it would surely break it's mounting to the car's body. I made a spacer that fits between the reflector and polyurethane bumber to support the reflector. I attached it to the rack with a lanyard cable. It works fine for me now and can safely carry two bikes. There is no problem with the wobbly support tubes for the bikes. They're captive by a the long bolt that runs through the cam lock and nut plate.

[Jun 11, 1998]
Doug
weekend warrior

OVERALL

I had originally wanted to purchase the Euro Shuttle (also by RG) which allows your bike to be mounted parallel to your car vs. perpendicular as this rack is. Apparently, though, the rack has been discontinued. So I settled for this rack vs. a roof rack system.
It is fairly easy to install, though it takes maybe an hour on the initial installation to get all the straps right and figure out the right settings, especially if your vehicle is not in their fit guide. Control blocks on arms keep bikes from swinging around.Things I like about it:
The rubber cams that your bike fits into. These keep the bike from being scratched and hold the bike pretty solidly.
Customer service was AWESOME! I sent an email to them and they actually CALLED me back the next day with answers.
Rack can fit on any car.
Only needed to buy 1 thing, vs. having to buy multiple items for a roof rack.
Cost of this rack ($100) vs. a roof rack ($250 - $400)Things I dislike about it:
Due to nature of trunk racks, it will block brake lights when bike is mounted. (reason I wanted the other rack).
Rack rests on paint. Over time this will wear into it and leave marks.
Arms that hold bike wobble and cannot be tightened. I don't think there is any danger of them falling off and losing my bike, but I don't like the slop.
Cannot lock rack to car, thus cannot lock bike. (all you need is a knife to cut straps to swipe bike and rack.Overall I like the rack.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.