Rec-Rac Bike Rack Bike Rack

The Rec-Rac consists of two, non marring aluminum clamps that you can position at any point along a pickup truck's bed rail to transport any style or size of bike; mountain, road or recumbent. Once the clamps are set, secure the bike via two soft rubber yokes and two support straps. Wheel removal is not necessary and there are no holes to drill.

NOTICE FROM THE MANUFACTURER:
"ALL STRAPS ARE FIRST QUALITY FROM THE MANUFACTURER AND HAVE BEEN UPGRADED WITH BETTER MATERIALS. ANY OLD, DEFECTIVE STRAPS WILL BE REPLACED AT NO CHARGE TO ORIGINAL PURCHASER"

[Mar 16, 2014]
Kris Olasin
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

works as advertised; very secure; this is an "in the bed" rack so bike is not as vulnerable as with a trailer hitch mounted rack

uses o-ring as a rod stop which can be easily cut or lost. Replaced with a .375" "C" clip which is a much better stop and is very secure so it won't be inadvertently lost

Have been using my folding Rec-Rac for almost a year now and couldn't be happier at how they perform. Installation in my 2004 Silverado couldn't have been easier - just locate where they need to go on the bed rail and use the screw clamp to lock in place for a very secure fit. I leave mine mounted in the fold down position on the truck bed 24/7 so they're always ready when I am. To prevent theft, I ran a length of 1/2" ss tubing thru the screw clamp eye bolts. I put a 90 degree bend on one end and drilled hole for a lock on the other. A cable lock could also be run thru the eye bolts and secured for theft prevention. Now for the best part. When I'm ready to go riding, I simply fold up the Rec-Rac in to the horizontal position, pop the bike in the bed and lock it down with the tie down straps. This can be don in less than one minute. For added security, I installed a set of ss U-bolts to the inside of the front bed wall. The u-bolts are spaced slightly less than the width of my front tire. Additionally I added a tie down strap for my rear wheel. This set up is super secure. Your bike will remain in the position it was set on even the roughest roads you can find. This set up uses very little space in the truck bed so there is still lots of room for all your gear. With another set of Rec-Racs carry two bikes in the bed is a breeze. I highly recommend this product.

hitch mounted bike rack

[Dec 14, 2013]
Donald

OVERALL
Strength:

My boss has the Rec Rac on his truck, the older model that does not fold down. He loves it and I have used it. The straps seem to hold it OK, but it FEELS a bit flimsy, although it work OK.

The older model does not fold, sticks out and gets hit when loading materials into truck.

I have ordered the new model from Rec Rac this morning. It has many design upgrades including folding down when not in use. Appears to have beefed straps too. I post my review on it in a few weeks.

[May 24, 2012]
mjh365

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to use. Keeps bike secure.

Rec-Rac has made transporting my Trek SuperFly a breeze. Just attach to Bed Rail, then the bike to the Rack. It's as simple as that. And the service was excellent. I ordered on Monday, and it was at my home on Wednesday. Great Product. Great service.

[Aug 06, 2011]
Dirks

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks cool. Good Idea but needs more designing.

I bought it to take it on a trip but it started leaning right away. they do not hold the bikes up. then in about a week of use the straps are nearly broke.

needs more engineering

homemade

[Apr 27, 2011]
mfoudy

OVERALL
Strength:

Very well designed and made, sturdy, and incredibly easy to use.

Works perfectly with Tacoma short bed tie down tracks. Takes a few seconds to load or unload bike. Don't have to remove the front wheel and the units have eye-hook bolts that are used for a cable lock.

I think these are terrific pieces of engineering and production.

various purchased and home build bike racks for my Tacoma short bed.

[Apr 21, 2011]
Dale Van Doren

OVERALL
Strength:

Rec-Rac bike clamps work in my pickup box and have proven to be unusaully durable, and versatile regardless whether I am using my mountain or road bike. Secondly, the well constructed clamps offer a measure of security by providing a locking means to secure the bike to the clamp. Excellent valve and recommend it to bike enthusiasts who don't want to disassemble their bikes every time transporting becomes a issue.

Highly recommend this product.

Bike racks that required bike disassembly.

[Aug 14, 2009]
railking

OVERALL
Strength:

easy installation, strong, removable, lockable, portable. Ingenious design. The clamps are small, so there is less shipping charges and storage needed if removed.

The rubber straps take a little getting used to. But not a big issue.

This is the best truck rack system I have seen. The clamps fit great on my Ranger. Easy on, and easy off the bed rails. The bike doesn't move at all. I didn't get the add-a-bike extenders, so can't comment. I am considering the extenders, or a second rack for the other side of the bed.

[Apr 15, 2009]
rghbsn

OVERALL
Strength:

small, lockable, strong, easy to adjust and set up. Don't need to remove wheels, saves 90% of your truck bed for gear, cost effective, great design.

I have not found any weaknesses yet...

I wish I would have come up with this idea! These racks are exactly was I was looking for, and many, many dollars less than any of the other contenders. Not only did I get quick shipping, but I got email directly from the creator to make sure that they would fit my truck. When I called them, I spoke to him as he was finishing up a ride of his own. I brag about this system every chance I get, because I would love to see them in every LBS and magazine around...it's that good of a design.
If you have a pickup, and you want to use your truck and carry bikes at the same time, this is for you!
I get no bounce, no wobble, no lean from any of my/my wife's bikes...on road, on trail, on highways. My road bike has carbon fiber, bladed front forks... it still secures perfectly with no wobble or shaking at highway speeds. No scratches or frame issues, either. The neoprene straps complained about in the older reviews are no longer used, and the rubber straps are perfect!

None like this... regular racks, roof racks, hitch racks

[May 20, 2008]
muzza mon

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy install if you read the instructions. Bike loads in 8 seconds. Bike unloads in 6 seconds. Just unstrap, lift and ride away. Your bike stays in one piece, no wheel take off. Elegant solution.
Low visual impact on my Silverado. Holds my prize Superlight secure, no drill holes or any other damage to the truck after 2 years in place.

Used the basic unit for 2+ years and it's good as new. The bike extenders , white plastic tubes/straps to attach a second bike, take more time to properly install, but I don't use them much. Guest bikes are usually forced into the prone position, which is only possible because my bike standing straight up on Rec-Rac allows lots of extra storage room on the truck bed.

Wifey wants me to buy another Rec Rac so her park bike can stand up straight & proud on the opposite rail of the truck bed.

If you load & unload your bikes several times a week and want storage room left over in the truck bed, this is your very best option.

This product is smart & so convenient you forget the impact it has. Transporting bikes with a Rec-Rac is like indoor plumbing...it becomes part of your life & you forget how convenient it is.

One of my best drunken sailor purchases.

Wangly jangly bumper-mounted crap on the wife's mini-van. I can also pile lots of bikes in a full sized pickup truck bed, and get lots of frame scratches & spoke damage. Whats that old expression? Harshes the buzz, 'cause you have to decide who gets to be on top, as it were.

[May 17, 2008]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Works Great! Very fast to get the bike in & out. You do not remove wheel from bike.

Great product... I just bought a second set for my wifes bike.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.