Kuat NV Bike Rack

With a front and rear ratchet system, hitch lock, integrated cable lock, and a built-in repair stand for pre-ride prep or post-ride cleanup, it is a fully loaded stunner. And you’ll look smooth loading and unloading with its easy-to-use hand-tight cam system. Storage is simple with the lever action pivot for rapid folding, tilting, and hiding.

• 2 Bike Capacity
  • USER REVIEWS

[Jun 02, 2017]
    Cayenne_Pepa

OVERALL
    Strength:

~ Piece of cake, building it (45min)
    ~ Roller cam ball eliminates any hitch receiver play whatsoever
    ~ Looks expensive AF
    ~ Nifty bike repair stand is over-the-top cool
    ~ Anti-theft locking hitch pin
    ~ Solid construction and finish
    ~ Wheel trays can accommodate Fat Bikes
    ~ Angled tilt, so hatch can open up

~ Locking cables, are way too short
    ~ Rear tire inner ratchet strap needs a felt liner

Arguably one of the very best hitch-mounted racks, money can buy. Thanks to the release of Kuat NV 2.0 - prices for this stellar piece of kit has dropped to attainable levels now. I like the fact this unit mounts far enough away not to trip the park sensors. Since my Turbo SUV has height-adjustable air suspension - I can safely clear sections of dirt trail without any signs of instability or sway... it's just THAT SOLID, even with two bikes onboard. It weighs heavy, which only means the duty lifecycle of this unit is extremely robust.

Hollywood
    One-Up
    Thule

[Dec 04, 2016]
    scottusmc5

OVERALL
    Strength:

* Not a roof rack
    *Solid Construction does not feel cheap like others
    * Built in Locks X2
    * Fits Tires up to fat bike
    *Bike stand......Awesome and easy

Kuat.... yea Solid buddy. I have used all other brands and the NV takes the cake. Easy to use, Compared to Y***** and T**** Never felt cheap and just Solid... Spend the Extra cash $$$ Worth it. Built in locks... Easy to use... F a roof rack and whatever else at this point. I would rather take the front wheel off and stuff bike in the back of my car without this NV. Bike Stand is great for airing up tires and cleaning/lubing chain pre-ride. If you do not drive a Subaru and work at a $10/hr job I would totally recommend this . BOOM!

Thule

[Apr 11, 2016]
    Mauwzola

OVERALL
    Strength:

- loads VERY fast
    - solid construction
    - no bike contact
    - works for fat bikes (with strap extender)
    - tilts down for hatch access
    - WARRANTY!!!!

- lock cable is too short

I bought this rack a year ago and immediately fell in love with it. Having had roof mount racks to that point, I was so impressed at how easy life was with a rear mount rack. And my biggest concern -- getting into the back of my Outback with a bike on back -- was alleviated by the fact the rack tilts down for precisely that purpose.

More recently, what has really impressed me about the rack is the warranty and, more precisely, the customer service. After driving with the rack on all winter, I discovered that one of the arms was corroded from the road salt and no longer extended. Never imagined this would be covered by warranty but I wrote to the company looking for guidance on how to fix the problem if nothing else. Within minutes, someone got back to me and was ready to send me replacement parts. Not just the arm, but all the chrome pieces on the rack just in case those were corroded as well. And all of this with no questions asked other than a request for pictures to make sure they knew which rack I had.

Awesome rack. Awesome company. Highly recommend both!

[Mar 31, 2016]
    crfnick56

OVERALL
    Strength:

Built solid
    Easy to load bikes and no frame contact
    Built in cable lock
    Little to no wobble when fully loaded
    Tilts down to access truck/hatch

Heavy but that's also a good thing in some ways
    Cable locks could be a bit longer
    Plastic adjuster knob in hitch seems vulnerable

I got this rack when it was on sale so the price is not relevant to this review but it is a pricey rack for sure, but in my eyes its worth it. I got this to replace my Thule Doubletrack since that started leaving marks on the frame where it secured the bikes, and the Thule had no real way to lock the bikes in the rack without a secondary cable ran to the hitch or something. This rack is definitely heavy but not terrible. The adjustment knob on the hitch part is a nice touch to eliminate any sway in the rack, however the plastic knob seems vulnerable to getting broken if you hit a parking lot entrance and have a lower car and it scrapes. On my car (Subaru Forester) this is a non issue because it sits high enough but I could see it being an issue to others with lower cars. Overall I am very pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a rack that has no frame contact.

Thule Doubletrack

[Jun 15, 2015]
    fmwylie

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great looks
    Easy load/unload
    Work stand
    Built in lock
    Anti wobble

Price
    Weight
    Oddball keys
    Poor quality welds
    Work stand doesn't lock in position
    Some parts are poor quality and rust

I have intentionally waited to review this product. I have given a fair shake and a lot of thought at this point. It certainly looks nice. Like the other racks within its peer group it's pricey. It is heavy even though the grey color model looks like light weight aluminum it's not. It is rather stout so that's the trade off. One of the big disappointments to me is the poor welding work. Looks like Chinese trade school. When paying this much for a rack to place an expensive bike on I expect more. We are all spoiled to all the high quality welds on nice bikes. Not here, sub par. Many parts appear to be poor Harbor Freight quality. I experienced rust on a number of components early. I wish I could show pictures to bolster my case. The locking cable is too short but it's innovative and I make it work. I would actually give it 3 1/2 chilis if it was an option. Overall I like the functionality but rust, crappy welds for the price hurts the value

[Nov 02, 2014]
    M-dub

OVERALL
    Strength:

Weight, quality,

Low point is the adjusting knob, clamps wear fast. Not real solid at the hitch. Cant match keys.

Bought this rack for one main reason, its weight. I wanted a 4 bike rack for our Suby that didn't weight a ton. It is almost 40lbs lighter than is any other 4 bike full wheel tray.

Assembly was not bad at all and fit and finish was top notch. We put miles on our racks and our first outing to Sea Otter I noticed a lot of wear on the wheel clamp. I hope this part is a replaceable item.

The next issue I noticed is its lowest point of the rack is a knob that takes the rattle of the rack. Its now chunked to heck and Im a very carful dude but some gas stations are just deep. That and it still wiggles. That whole design is much better on the T2. Just a simple bolt that is rock solid. I think Kuat got a little too fancy. Remember the saying "KISS" keep it simple s......

Then there is the funny little adapter to run a 20-24" wheel. Its not like the T2 that you can just put any tire in. But they also only give you an adapter for one bike. It seems like a ton of money for a rack that needs options to run a bmx bike on?

With about 1500 miles on it and the whole thing was loose. A bunch of the bolts had settled in I guess. If you do a lot of excursions you may want to look too the T2 or Yak for the steel construction. If it cracks or breaks almost anyone can weld it. and they just seams a bit more solidly built. I have run off road for a ton of miles with my T2 and it was solid. This one I don't think I would trust on my Jeep in the back country or fire roads.

There is no adjustment of spacing between the rails so I have to drop seats for fit where the T2 you can adjust the in and out of the rails. Oh ya and you cant re-key the locks? So if you get the add-on be prepared to have two keys. All in all Im happy with the rack but it does have its flaws. Unfortunately the flaws are kinda big and so is the price.

It is by far the best looking rack out there. But looking past that......its not perfect.

T2, Yakama

[Oct 28, 2014]
    trickten

OVERALL
    Strength:

• Looks sooo sweet (Love the black and Chrome)
    • Comes with a work stand
    • Integrated Cable lock
    • Hand crank hitch mount tightens hitch to vehicle for virtually no movement
    • The bikes load so easily
    • Tilt down feature allows me to access the rear cargo area with bikes still on the rack.

• Initial cost
    • Weight
    • Cable locks a tad short
    • No way to lock work stand

I love this rack. I’ve mounted both my road and mountain bike with no issues or worries. Really solidly built. Could not be happier with my purchase!

[May 30, 2014]
    Derek Vanderhorst

OVERALL
    Strength:

Looks good

Falls apart

Took my car thru the car wash today an the rack broke I to prices and got caught in the brushes and scratched my car all up. I called and spoke with jay at kuat and he told me it's not a warranty issue and I need to order replacement

Thule Yakima

[Jun 21, 2013]
    willtsmith_nwi

OVERALL
    Strength:

*Secures bikes in seconds safely and soundly.
    * Relatively easy mechanism for folding up, flat or downward for liftgate access.
    * Comes with a workstand!!!!!!
    * Bikes load in seconds!
    * Integrated lock allows you to secure bikes in seconds
    * My understanding is the newest version of these racks have the same key for the included locking pin as well as the integrated cable locks.
    * Beautiful product!!!!!
    * Integrated hitch mounting wedge allows you to quickly take all the slop out of the interface.

These are nitpicks rather than full fledged weaknesses
    * The locking cable is not long enough to thread through the frames of both bikes. If you're leaving your bikes outside a hotel at night on this rack, you'll probably want to use an additional cable.
    * There is no locking "loop" on the Traildock stand. That's a $90 piece of hardware and deserves some protection from casual pilfering. Perhaps a locking skewer would do the job.

My only previous experience with racks was cheapo trunk racks. In most cases they rendered my trunk useless as most of them relied on sitting on the rear bumper. They were also a pain to mount securely. On top of it ... mounting more than one bike to these things required bungies, foam blocks and towels just to keep the bike from rubbing each other's paint off. I'd had it.

I looked around and Yakima/Thule tray racks were famous for being expensive, heavy and of generally poor qualify. I stumbled upon Kuat and discovered what I needed.

The product does not disappoint. I do wish I could add an additional single rack to this for 3rd bike for my 1.25" rack. However, Kuat only offers a bike add on to their 2" version. If I had it to do over, I would seriously consider One-Up. But the Kuat is on it's 2nd car and I'm still very pleased with this rack. I guess I'll just have to get one of Kuat's roof racks to carry a 3rd bike. Who has room for 4 people's gear in their car anyway?

Trunk Racks

[Jun 08, 2012]
    Throttlemire

OVERALL
    Strength:

Ease of use. Design. Lightweight. Integrated locks and repair stand.

Rack has developed a lot of "play" after six months - moves in the transport and storage positions. Also a bit of play in the receiver hitch. High price.

I had a Thule T2 and it did not play nice with my Niner Rip9. It also took a lot of adjusting to get bikes to fit properly without rubbing on each other. Also, my wife could work the Thule and it was heavy and ugly. Two owners of the Enve recommended the rack. At first, I was extremely happy. I get a lot of compliments. I even bought the add on. The problem is that it is now very loose after six months. The bikes are bouncing all over the place. The problem is the metal they use is too soft and it has rounded off, so the rack has a lot of sloppiness the vertical (storage) or horizontal (transport) positions. It also shakes like a jonesing crack addict when I move it from one position to the other - pretty embarrasing and does not instill confidence. I've contacted Kuat and waiting for an answer. For this price, I shouldn't have these problems.

Thule T2