Kuat NV 2 Bike Rack

Best Price At
Available At

Kuat NV 2 Bike Hitch Carrier. The NV comes fully equipped with front and rear tire ratchet system, hitch lock and integrated bike cable lock. "Holy smokes, a built in repair stand for pre-ride prep, post-ride, clean up, or looking smart." Decked out with

[Nov 12, 2018]
deadarray

OVERALL
Strength:

This rack (NV 2.0 in 2" hitch) tightens up with a hand knob into your trailer hitch to remove all rattles and shakes. It holds all the bike types (even little kid bikes with a spacer accessory) for your holidays, very solidly. The wheel straps can go right over mountain wheels and deep dish roadie wheels (Hi there dirty birds). Bikes go on and off very quickly. The rack itself goes on and off the vehicle fairly quickly, also. It comes with a locking hitch pin and keyed-alike locking cables for each bike tray. You don't have to buy anything else to hook it to your car and go to a ride spot. The lever for raising, lowering, and tilting the rack is easy to use with both a foot and a hand. That makes it much better getting into your back hatch than the previous version. The kuat racks raise the trays up enough to avoid scraping on reasonable inclines. My hitch sits fairly low, below the rear fairing, and the rack platforms still sit about level with the top of the bumper. That's perfect. The built-in workstand is super handy for the inevitable vehicle-side adjustments or tire fiddling before or after a ride. It looks great in the gray and orange colorway, but Kuat also offers it in black for the ninjas. I'm really done with roof racks now that these things exist. This thing covers all of my bike rack needs and wants. I really really like it.

This thing is heavy. I think weighs at least 50 pounds, and you will need a really strong pair of hooks on your garage wall to hang it. It doesn't fold up as tightly as a Thule or a Saris, so you also need some considerable real estate on your garage wall to store it. Looking for the fourth locking nut you need to assemble it? That one is separate, not on the bolt, and was inside a tiny bag with the unrelated lever bolt. That drove me crazy for a few minutes when I was assembling mine. Need a swing-away hinge with it? That'll be $300 MORE dollars. Ouch! Crazy! Need the two-bike expansion? That'll be $390 MORE dollars. These things cost the moon. For what they cost, they sure weigh a lot. None of these hitch racks have any way to close up some of the space between the rack and the vehicle or between the trays for when you want to just drive and shorten your vehicle. You will have to allow for your vehicle to be an entire trunk longer when you back up, so give yourself room in a parking lot. In my vehicle's rear camera, the loaded rack consumes ALL of the yellow box length in the rear view camera. So long as you have room to back up and room to not be backed-into by others, you'll like a hitch rack. The rack is very conspicuous on the back of a vehicle, and hitch-rack theft is now a real worry. I also don't trust any of the locks on it to hold my bikes if my vehicle isn't parked in a secure area.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Sep 12, 2018]
BassistBiker

OVERALL
Strength:

This is the best rack I've owned, hands down.

-Fat bike capable
-E bike capable
-Tilting access to hatch/trunk
-Zero frame contact
-Built in repair stand (didn't think I use this..but I do!)
-Integrated security (for both the bike & rack).
-Rugged build quality
-Stunning good looks (even the NV 2.0 Base is beautiful)

I was "on the fence" about this rack, it looked sweet, but the price was a big pill to swallow...I'm glad I took the plunge, this rack looks & functions better than any rack I've owned, and looked at.

Carbon MTB? Check!
Full Suspension MTB? Check!
E-bike? Check!
Fat Bike? Check!
Road bike? Check!
Kids bike? Check! (If you buy the $10 adapter).

Weaknesses?

Not many....nitpicking here

-Price of $649 maybe too much for many (They can be found on sale around holidays, that's how/why I bought mine)

-USA Company...but...the rack isn't made here, to some that may not be a big deal, but to others it could be.

-Only includes 1 fat tire kit, when you can obviously carry 2 fat bikes, KUAT has fixed this though...if you register your product online, they give you $20 credit toward accessories/swag, the fat bike kit is $10 (get 2, so you have a spare if/when you need it), they also give you free shipping on that order...my total cost for 2 kits shipped? $0 :-)

Price Paid:
2018
[Jul 11, 2012]
bikenboard69

OVERALL
Strength:

Rack is very well engineered and holds the bikes securely.
Comes with integrated locks to both lock the rack to the vehicle and the bikes to the rack.
Customer service is second to none. Had an issue with my rack and they went above and beyond my expectations to make sure the issue was rectified and I was happy.
Rack is easily dropped down to open hatch when bikes are on and folds easily up when not in use.
Lots of ground clearance.
loading bikes is a breeze.
No interference issues with other bikes on rack.
Handy repair stand on rack for doing those last minute tuneups prior to a race or hitting the trail.

Wish dust caps for locks were secured to the lock. I'm sure to lose them one day.
Wish there was a protective piece at end of rack for 4 bike rack so when it is dropped down to open hatch it wouldn't be damaged from resting on ground.

This bike rack in my opinion is the cadillac of racks and when it comes to transporting my expensive bikes I am happy they are riding safe and secure on one of these.

Saris, Thule

[Dec 09, 2011]
Jon Wallace

OVERALL
Strength:

This is a superbly engineered can constructed hitch rack. Took me 20 minutes to unpack and have bikes on the rack. The rack is super solid. Comes with hitch lock and security cables that lock together. The repair stand is great for quick trail head work.

The only thing I would change is to find a substitute for the rubber caps the cover the hitch and security locks.

This rack is worth every penny I paid for it!

Yakima and Thule racks.