Graber T-Rax Bike Rack Bike Rack

• 2, 4 and 5 bike capacity
  • Carries hard-to-fit bikes including women's, juvenile and non-traditional frames
  • Rugged 2 1/2" steel tube provides strength, stability and security
  • Ergonomically designed cam lever allows arms to fold down and out of the way when not in use

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 19, 2013]
    leslie decker

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light weight, easy to put into and take out of hitch. The support bars swing down when not in use, very little sway when on highway. Sturdy and well built.

The straps and cradles are awful! The first bike on has to pass over each strap "buckle" bending it on the way on and off, with it finally breaking becoming useless. Both are made of hard plastic, the strap removes itself from the cradle resulting in the bike sliding out of cradle. The strap is extremely difficult to secure into the "buckle", never confident that the strap would stay secure, however it did prior to snapping off. Hatch clearance is not great, I can slide a beach chair in and out, that is all I have had to retrieve since using the rack.

My husband purchased the rack with the intent of me mounting, and dismounting the rack, loading and unloading the bikes which I can do with ease. The price was excellent, on sale at a large sporting goods store for less then $70. I needed to replace the cradles and straps with non-graber rubber replacement parts, which I found on the internet. The replacement strap and cradle system slid on with a little soapy water and muscle fitting nicely and securing with ease. I would recommend buying replacement cradle and straps not using the ones that come with the rack. I made sure I purchased the correct diameter so they would fit on the support bars. 4 cradles and 4 straps were $30, so all in all $100 for a system that I can use with confidence. I would have rated the value a 5 if I didn't have to make additional purchases to make the rack functional.

[Dec 22, 2012]
    Frank

OVERALL
    Strength:

Looks solid, but...

Absolutely the worst installation instructions I've ever seen. The pieces included had almost no relation to the assembly instructions. (And I have two graduare degrees AND I used to be a mechanical contractor!)

This product is an embarrassment to the "Made In America" sticker and to the company who has foisted it on a trusting public.

[Oct 01, 2012]
    Bruce Knox

OVERALL
    Strength:

With rubber tie-downs, it can virtually hold any size bike. I've had my rack for over 10 yrs. and it's been on numerous road trips.

It's hard to access items in the rear if the rack is full.

I did have a rack prior to this one that attached to the trunk and over time it left tiny dents in the trunk, I much prefer this hitch style.

[Sep 23, 2010]
    LoriL

OVERALL

My husband and friends used this rack to travel to the Zoo-de-Mack bike ride with friends. On the way back the rack literally snapped and our bikes went flying onto I69 freeway. Thank God no one was hurt. Our bikes however are toast. Graber will only give us a small protion of the cost to fix what used to be our beautiful and very expensive bikes. I cannot even get one bike fixed on what they are offering. Oh, and they will give us a new rack. I don't want to use a rack from a company that will not stand by their product. And I we now have no bikes to ride. If anyone has a suggestion as to what I can do to get at least what it cost to make the bikes usable again from Saris Cycling Group I would really appreciate it. Although I am still disappointed that my beautiful bike will have all of the scratches and huge gouges in it, at least I would have a bike to ride again.

I will never use a rack from this company again.

[Jul 20, 2007]
    Mike Snyder

OVERALL
    Strength:

Arms fold down easily; folds out of the way of tailgate easily; holds four-five bikes well.

Could use a quick-release system to fold arms up and down. The cinching system to hold the adapter to a 2" hitch should be less complicated. Whenever I take the rack off my car it takes a while to remember how it goes back on to cinch properly.

Yes, it wobbles at speed -- but that's easily eliminated by tightening the bolt that goes through the 2" adapter. A once-a-month tightening is all it needs to keep it snug and firm, regardless of how many bikes I'm carrying. The fold-down arms even have enough back room (the side opposite the mount where the bikes fit on the arms) to add another carrier for a fifth bike. I've used this rack with my and my kids bikes camping, to the beach, whatever and haven't had any problems.

Hollywood hitch mount

[Apr 22, 2000]
    Stu Miller

OVERALL

By the way, I left out a key word in my earlier review, the rack does NOT scratch the car. Duh!

The rack is still working great. The movement has not changed and is not a problem. My riding partner has one now on his Toyota Solaris. Still recommend it as a great alternative to a trunk or roof mount rack.

[Oct 25, 1999]
    Sam Bass

OVERALL
    Strength:

Well Made, Sturdy, folds down

Have to undo allen screw to fold arms down, a pain

Very well made rack, needs different system to collapse arms

[Apr 02, 1999]
    Stu Miller
    Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

available for 1.25 or 2 receiver hitches
    carries 2 to 4 bikes depending on model
    access to trunk with swing down feature
    cam controlled arms swing down for storage
    hold downs & straps rotate on arms to accept different bike frames

rack swings back & forth due to slop in hitch mount connection

This rack is high quality and does what I need, transports up to 4 bikes with scratching the car's finish. I've used roof mounted and trunk mounted racks in the past and all of them scratch the car's finish sooner or later. I bought the 1.25 hitch model in the 4 bike configuration (model 1078Q4). Rack could carry more weith than my Class 1 hitch could handle (200 lbs. tongue weight). Used 1 time so far with 3 bikes averaging 25 lbs. each. The rack stores in my trunk when I'm on the trail thanks to the cam controlled folding arms. Some play from side to side due to receiver hitch and receiver tube movement. So far the movement is acceptable. I will follow up with a review later in the season. I will give this a rating of 4 for now due to the movement in the hitch.

Hollywood Trunk Racks

[Nov 04, 2002]
    Brian

OVERALL
    Strength:

sturdy, easy to get on and off, reliable

Yo moron if you have a Y frame you are going to have to use a different type of rack. Duh ?? I have a full suspension bike and I have no problems with this rack. I have the 1 1/4" 2 bike version and it is outstanding, especially for the price. I strongly reccommend this rack. It is very easy to get on and off. I have an Altima sedan which exposes the bike/rack to a lot of wind at 80 mph. So far, I have had absolutely no problems. The sway is mininmal. You are always going to get some sway with a sedan like the Altima. You can also open the trunk on the Altima and not do anything to the rack. This rack is perfect for sedans.

[Mar 19, 2002]
    Murray

OVERALL
    Strength:

heavy duty; well made; looks good (if you like black); arms fold down; holds all sorts of frames

rack sways from side to side a bit; section that goes into your receiver hitch can be a bit longer (I have to remove a pedal to clear the back of my Plymouth Voyager van); plastic "cam levers" for folding down arms can be chipped if you're not careful

I have the 5 bike model. So far it hasn't given me any problems -- Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, camping trips, around town. I've taken it on extended rough roads and watched the bikes sway from side to side. This is the only weakness and can be attributed to the fact that there is only one bolt that holds the upright section to the hitch mount section. I am thinking about adding another bolt to the hitch section (there are holes to do so) to prevent the sway. I haven't had any problems with the fold down arms other than a quarter-sized section of the plastic cam lever breaking off when I was putting it away (metal meets plastic, plastic breaks). The $180 I spent on the rack plus the $140 I spent for the hitch is less than what I would have spent on a roof system. I recommend this rack if you have a hitch and lots of bikes to carry (as I have a roof top box for stuff).

cheap trunk mounted carriers

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.