DraftMaster Hitch rack Bike Rack

DraftMaster Hitch rack

[Jul 12, 2014]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely well made.
Assembly and mounting to vehicle are easy and pretty much intuitive.
Mounting bikes is simple and fast.
Relatively little sway.

Expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for. (I bought mine used.)
Pretty bulky and takes up some storage space.

I bought this rack (with an extended specialty rail) so that I could transport mountain bikes at the same time as my long wheelbase recumbent. I've taken it on trips of 600 miles without incident (knock on wood). Mounting the bikes is easy, since the rack drops down for loading and then is raised into position for transport. The front fork mounts, which use skewers, look as though they might be a little insecure since the bikes are basically just hanging from them (with the real wheel held by a strap); you do want to make sure that you clamp them nice and tight. My system has anti-sway straps and is bolted tightly to the hitch receiver using bolts and lock washers. There is much less sway and bounce than with the Thule rack it replaced. My vehicle has a spare tire on the back, and I initially thought that I might need to get an extender for the hitch receiver, but the rack does fit without one, though just barely. MSRP for the system I have is roughly $850. I'm not sure it would be worth it at that price. (Actually, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't.) But I found mine used in excellent condition for a third of that amount. I'm very happy with it.

[Aug 21, 2013]
Justin

OVERALL
Strength:

Sturdy product

Customer Service sucks!! I had a question about the assembly of the product, I called Atoc (the company that makes Draftmaster) the answer I received was, "well... read the directions". very rude personal. talked down to me the entire conversation.

If it wasn't for the fact that I already own this rack, I would probably not carry it on my truck due to the lack of respect I received from the guy who answered the phone at Atoc.

[May 11, 2013]
Ed

OVERALL
Strength:

This is a review of the reviews. The last review posted is one month shy of nine years old. One of the review comments on the company's financial situation of more than nine years ago. I feel these reviews, positive and negative, are too old to be relevant today.

[Jul 11, 2003]
Al Williamson

OVERALL
Strength:

Rack is easy to load,easy to load and secures bikes both to vehicle and rack, no pads, staps, bungees, rubbed spots, roof dents,broken "Lawyer Lips" no loss fuel consumption, no noise and not affected by cross winds

Did not find it sooner

Since 1988 have used rear and roof racks, but the Draftmaste has made the process of loading the rack, loading and securing bikes, accessing the luggage much easier..through the rear window without changing the rack...rotate the rack, no change to the bikes, and you can open the door.

4 or more rear racks and 2 or more roof racks

[Jun 23, 2003]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Well built

Instructions are poor and difficult to understand
No easy way to lock it
Ground clearance "issues"
Rear wheel trays are set way too high to properly hold full suspension mountain bike wheels - They barely hang on the back edge

A good rack, but it simply couldn't hold our full suspension mountain bikes high enough to get out of even the shallowest driveways without leaving some rear tire rubber on the paving. Ouch! The optional extension is not really a solution because the rack moves around enough as it is without having to raise and extend the weight out even further behind the vehicle.

It's not that easy to load since the front wheels must be removed and bikes held vertical while being secured. It's no big deal with just one or two bikes, but add the third or fourth and you have to secure them while off the ground due to the height offset needed to fit the extra bikes. Also, if this rack is so stable, why the tie-down straps? They smack of afterthought. All in all, this rack just seemed sort of overly complicated. We returned it.

That said, I'd recommend anyone thinking about a hitch rack to check out 1upUSA's rack. It is the easiest to load of all because it doesn't require front wheel removal, the bikes go on horizontally and are held by the wheels only. It has great ground clearance, folds up the flattest and has a Allen-head bolt locking mechanism everyone else should be using. It is so damn simple to put together and operate and guaranteed for life! Check it out at 1upUSA.com. I don't work for 1up. I just appreciate a superior product (like their trainer, too). Like they say, spend more time riding, not loading your bikes.

1up USA hitch rack

[Jun 23, 2003]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

Once set up and run through the rack is easy to insert into the hitch and remove when not using and the bikes are easy and fast to secure and remove.

The directions for assembly are weak (mostly sketches without alot of detail - pictorial or worded) - even for mechanically inclined people like me. Directions do not include recommendation as to how to load different size bikes which I figured out by loading and reloading multiple times before fine tuning what should have been described in the directions. Front fork locks worked extremely well on my family's two canondale bikes but less than optimal on two others where I needed to use an adjustable wrench to make sure..... Forks whose channels are straight do not work as well as Forks (such as Canondales') whose channels are at a 90 degree angle.

The customer service is extremely helpful and knowledgeable both about its rack and trailer hitches in general. While the price appears high I wanted this to be my first and last system. Overall, after having used it for a 5-day bike vacation where the bikes were loaded and unloaded multiple times and the distance from home was approx. 150 miles - I am very happy with the performance and would definitely recommend it. Draftmaster shipped it when they said they would and it arrived in time for my family's vacation which was also a bonus.

[Sep 10, 2001]
Max Breuer

OVERALL
Strength:

The unit can transport 3 long wheel base recumbents. The unit is easy to assemble, dissamble and store.

We have used the Draftmaster to transport 3 long wheel base recumbent bicycles (Rans Stratus). The unit is easy to assemble and disassemble. Three recumbents can be mounted by only removing the front wheels (seats remain on the bikes). Mounting the bicycles is easy by fastening the bicycles on a "tray" while on the ground. The tray can then be easily mounted on the main rack. The rack can also hold up to three tandems. This unit is by far the easiest to use of any rack we have seen; particularly for tandems and long wheel base recumbents.

[Nov 07, 2001]
joanna chodorowska

OVERALL
Strength:

carries 4 bikes securely without any problems. bikes are securely fastened with fork-mount and it is a easy as 10 seconds to mount. love the front wheel attachment gizmos (but lost one already). easy access to trunk, etc without getting in the way of bikes. i have a sedan, and trunk mount racks were a pain as was the thought of a roof rack.

the cloth straps do not grip as well as they could so the straps need to be tightened every so oten to keep the sway to a minimum. the sway of the rack is a little disconcerting at first, but no problems on highway (even at 80 mph)

after a rocky start with ordering, i was thrilled to finally get it all and working right. customer service is exceptional so the minor misundertanding we had at the beginning was taken care of quickly. LOVE the rack. and it not only looks cool, but really holds up.

only have trunk-mount racs. first of this kind.

[Jul 29, 2001]
Doug Richards

OVERALL
Strength:

The Draftmaster 4 bike rack is: easy to use,easy on the vehicle, strong&durable, simple to set up, helps avoid roof wipeouts with garage enterances & low ATM drive throughs. Anyone can load this rack at ground level(even my 13 yr.old). No better way to get 4 buds (or the family)& their bikes + gear into one vehicle to the trail.

Some small loose parts that can get lost if you're forgetful (like me). Company should design in attachments for these in future.

The Draftmaster 4 bike rack is a great product at a good price. It is suitable for use by serious XC addicts to the weekend family rider. I highly recommend it.

N/A

[Aug 02, 2001]
David Guenther

OVERALL
Strength:

The ability to load up two MTBs and a Tandem and never having to hoist them on top of a SUV roof rack. The flexibilty to load up three different bikes including bents, tandems, mountain, road, and my three year olds 12" is great. I will never outgrow the rack.

The strap ends that loop through the rack should use hardware to avoid the nylon from abrading (hooks, well rounded slots...).

The DraftMaster rack is the best I've seen. Solid construction, good design, well made and a nice finish. Loading up your bikes is pretty effortless so you can save your energy for the ride. The rack rides well when loaded and is very paint job friendly to the car and bikes.The staff at DraftMaster is great. They take care of business with PLEASURE! The bottomline: The rack and Draftmaster are SWEEEET!

Have a Yakima on my truck and both skewers have fatigued to breaking over the years. BEEFY SKEWERS ARE A GOOD THING!

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.