1upUSA Aluminum Roof Rack Bike Rack

1up USA Aluminum Quik-Rack Bicycle Roof Tray

[Apr 27, 2017]
gofastgt

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice and sturdy, very quick to load the bike, folds away nicely

The company and the customer service are their biggest weakness. Long story short they have an old website posted out there with incorrect information (so heads up on that), they messed up my order (it happens... I get that) but then provided incorrect product information (there's a cool bottle opener you can purchase from them that is supposedly "compatible with all racks and add-ons" per the new/correct website... it is not. So there's wrong info on their new site as well. There are no threads on the roof racks for it to bolt up to). Finally they owed me a refund and I had to hassle them about it for 2 straight weeks to get it back. Pretty annoying. A month later I finally got it all settled.

As for the rack itself, the harder you squeeze the arms down on the tires, the harder it is to pull up on that red lever to get the bike out. I may just be cranking them down too much, but I want everything secure. And as others have pointed out, there's no way to lock anything up.

I was going to give 3 chili's across the board, but realize that's just my frustration talking in regards to the terrible experience with the company. The rack really is better than anything else out there and makes me feel much more comfortable knowing my bike is secure. I do wish there was an easier way to release the levers to get the bike out, but I'm sure I'll find a good balance of how tight to make the arms. It would have been nice to have the rack a month ago when the incorrect one arrived at my door, but I guess that happens with small companies who care more about the product than they do their customers.

Yakima Frontloader (broke within a month...)

[May 05, 2015]
Luis

OVERALL
Strength:

The installation is straightforward and simple. The rack looks good and taking a bike on and off is nearly effortless. I bought 2 for the roof of my suv three months ago and after using for three months will likely buy 2 more. I have had Thule fork mounted roof racks, and thule hitch swing-away four bike rack. I have kept the hitch mounted swing-away for situations where I may need to carry kids bikes but have sold off the thule roof mounted racks. The 1UP is by far simpler and easier to use. And best I can tell, looks like it will be maintence free, other than seasonally checking that nuts and bolts are secure.

As noted in another post, you need to learn how to put your bike on. Leave the back arm up and the front extended when you put the bike in. Also, if you have an SUV like me, (and this is an issue with all roof mounted racks) you will need to carry a step stool to access the bikes that are not on the outermost edge. Would be nice if they could incorporate a locking system.

Love the rack, would buy again, and would reccoment to others.

[May 27, 2013]
Wayne Lewis

OVERALL
Strength:

Securely holds bike by the tyres without touching the frame. Easy to get bike in and out. Adjustable for different diameter wheels.

No built in lock, but can easily use cable lock.

I have two of these 1upUSA Roof Rack Bike Racks. They are the most secure and reassuring of any roof bike rack that I've used.

After I worked out how to position the arms, loading and unloading the bike became simple. The trick was to have the back arm in the right postion to hold the back wheel, and to have the front arm fully open. With the back wheel securely in the arm, and the front wheel in the channel, the bike is stable enough that you don't have to hold it and can close the front wheel clamp at your leisure. Once clamped, the front wheel can turn ever so slightly at the head tube, but there is no risk of it coming out of the rack.

If you have aero bars, make sure you mention this at order time so that you get the correct sized mounting brackets. I forgot this with the second rack I bought, and received brackets for the smaller square section bars. 1up's customer service was excellent though, and they have shipped me a set of the correct brackets, no questions asked.

Given that the same mechanism is used to clamp the bike in the hitch rack, most of my comments and ratings will apply to the hitch rack as well. Highly recommended.

[Apr 10, 2012]
utheissen
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Clean, smart no nonsense design. Easy to use. Well built, folds extremely flat and looks better and more beefy on the car than in pictures. Low wind noise. Won't rust. Really fast loading and unloading, I now need approx 20 seconds. Bikes of different sizes are securely held. Great and approachable customer support by the people who actually build these.

No lock but most locks are not really safe anyway. If needed, the bike can be secured with a cable through the frame.

One of the products that make you feel good every time you use it.
I bought two of these and mounted them onto the new Whispbar car rails. The Whispbars are much wider than the usual car racks and 1upUSA milled me a wider clamp to fit these at no extra cost. They now have some available for customers with the same setup. Now that's customer service! These guys stand behind their product.
My friend's first reaction: "what's that?" and after loading/unloading their bike..."really cool!"
Very happy with the purchase.

Yakima Raptor roof rack, Saris Thelma hitch rack

[Nov 07, 2011]
Maineiacs

OVERALL
Strength:

After having been through a variety of competng products over the years (Thule, Yakima), this is hands down the higest quality, most secure, easiest to use roof rack that I have experienced. It's an engineering and machining marvel and the heavyweight aluminum construction won't rust and holds the bikes more securely than anything I've owned. It's expensive, although not that much more than the competing brands but the quality, functionality, etc. make it a bargain buy. Customer service was outstanding also - real people at the other end of the phone and quick shipping.

Slightly more expensive than (much) lower-quality competitors

If you are looking for a "lifetime" quality rack with superior functioning and quality, look no further. I believe I have gotten much more than I've paid for versus the highest profile competitor rack systems. On top of it all, it's a piece of engineering and maching art.

Thule, Yakima

[Nov 06, 2011]
helifitz

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely well designed and very well built.
Very easy to use.
Made in the USA!

It takes less than 30 seconds to load or unload a bike from this rack. The bike is held much more securely than other comparable racks.

It is a well thought out design and the rack itself is quite simple.

Awesome!

[Nov 06, 2011]
Julesmama

OVERALL
Strength:

sturdy, well designed, won't rust, super low profile, easy to use

This is hands down the best bike rack I've owned, and I've owned several. I have the 1up USA Quick Rack hitch rack on my CRV and love it. I was surprised not to find any reviews on mtbr for the roof trays but having already used and loved the Quick Rack, I decided to get the roof trays for my other vehicle. I previously had the Thule Sidearm and Yakima High Roller. The design of them both seemed ridiculous after purchasing the 1up USA racks. These are so simple, sturdy, versatile (I ride a Mountain Scooter occasionally with 20 and 16" wheels), and EASY to use. Plus they'll never rust like my Thule racks did after only a year.

Thule Sidearm and Yakima High Roller