WTB SpeedDisc XC Wheelset

WTB SpeedDisc XC Wheelset

WTB SpeedDisc XC Wheelset (front and rear): Features: ? SpeedDisc 24mm rims -- ? SpeedDisc XC hubs -- ? 14/15g black spokes w/ CNC machined brass nipples -- ? Includes front & rear QR skewers -- Weight: (front 965 grams; rear 1185grams)

[Oct 31, 2010]
RBowles

Strength:

Frugal pricing. I imagine they were selected by cannondale to get my bike within a certain price range.

Retrued twice in 2 months.

Good for beginners, but they don't seem to hold up well to a lot of rock gardens and small drops. I finally tacod the rear wheel off a tiny 1 foot jump.

I have the same wheels on my diamondback

[Nov 27, 2009]
derailin_palin

Strength:

Relatively light, reasonably tough, plenty of spokes to keep it durable. At around 2kg they climb well for a budget XC/Trail wheelset. I'm not the smoothest rider, I ram into curbs, roots, rocks etc and wheels are fine. Flex? Don't really notice it on the trails, maybe only on technical rock garden stuff where the wheel is getting side to side a lot. Par for the course in this price range, it seems.

The rim does flex a bit. Last time I trued up the wheels the spoke tension was noticeably high or low in a few spots. The Formula hubs are sealed loose ball, but the rear hub adjustable cone won't stay tight, so the hub develops a bit of play/knock after a few rides and I have to tighten it up again. They get pretty rough and grindy if you don't keep them clean, but I'd rather be riding then repacking my hubs all the time so I wish they had cart bearings.

I'm a 170lb rider doing mostly XC and a bit of downhill. The biggest jump/drop I have done on these is probably not more than 2 feet and the wheels are absolutely true. I've only had to true them once over several dozen of rides. The spokes are not evenly tensioned all the way around, so I imagine that I ever get around to 6' drops the rims will taco.

For the money they are light weight great look rims with OK hubs. An AM wheelset for the same price will be 2 lbs heavier. An XC wheelset with 200g less weight will cost $200 more. If only the hubs were cartridge instead of loose ball.

Overall, these are great for XC and trail, and they will survive more aggressive riding AM unless you are doing technical freeride/DH type stuff.

[May 07, 2009]
The Piper 317

Strength:

Price

Nothing yet

I am a big rider at 6'6" and well lets just say heavier then I should be. I put these wheels through the ringer yesterday and they held up quite well. As other people have said, not sure what stiffness is or rigid but these wheels performed really well yesterday.

Mavics that came with my bike

[Mar 15, 2009]
JMCFRISCO

Strength:

Not sure yet how these will perform, as it has been raining here in Texas...trails are too soggy to ride. I had a professional wheel builder recommend these rims and also assemble them with my old hub. If you dont hear back from me, then assume these rims did the job. I paid $30 plus labor for the rear rim.

beefy rim which comes with some extra weight.

time will tell

specialized

[Oct 28, 2008]
crash

Strength:

good set for entry into sport. relatively cheap set for discs. reasonably strong given proper maintenance. very easy to hammer back into shape in the field like a barbarian. they look cool.

kinda heavy for true xc but hey who's counting. consistently needs tensioning and truing. wheels flex on tech rides, not very comforting esp if you are 200+. also had several mystery flats until i discovered a sharp manufacturing defect in seat of the rim, sanded it down and no more problems. made the mistake of hitting a dual course with these rims and bought it hard after the front wheel collapsed to form a 90 degree angle around my face.

Not a bad wheelset, great for beginners but also not the best. Like the label says xc --> can barrel through most tech rides with subsequent maintenance but not designed for much else.

only two other sets both of which were WTB and were on par with what is to be expected.

[Jun 13, 2008]
Sam Hakosem

Strength:

OK for relaxed cross country riding.

Too weak for down hillers or extreme riders. Especially if you weigh more than 200 pounds.

I purchased the B17 and the WTB speedisc wheelset in it, because the bikes are supposed to be "strong" and are characterized as "Trail/Aggressive". After some ~500 miles cross country riding, I went on my first real extreme single. Unfortunately the rim got twisted beyond repair.

[Jul 13, 2002]
John Hunter

Strength:

strong wheelset. good looking. durable. Cheap

heavy

i have pounded these wheels for over three years, crashes and all, and i have never needed to true them. They have little if any flex and hold up against drops and rocks. These are killer wheels by any standard. 5 for value and 4 for being a little on the heavy side.

[Mar 12, 2006]
ramilcp

Strength:

Strong, smooth, and dependable.

Heavy.

These are my first disc only wheelset and for the price I paid for them, they've been great. I haven't had to true them since building the bike and putting it through its paces. They are on the heavy side, but for my heavy frame, it suits me just fine.

Weinmann Zac19 rims on Shimano hubs, XTR/517

[Jan 28, 2006]
hilton moss

Strength:

I have done 20000km on this wheelset only damage, 2 spokes, freebody replacement, new balls and grease. I bought them second hand!! Last forever if u treat them right

A bit heavy

Strong, reliable, great wtb support, stays true.

lots

[Sep 14, 2002]
Offroader

Strength:

Strong, durable

Too damn heavy. It's not really WTB: It's a Joytech (Taiwan) hub with an Alex TD17 rim. Tire beads tend to mount unevenly on the rims, giving an appearance of an out of true wheel.

I upgraded my Raleigh M600 to a Raleigh M800, thinking that, among other things, I would get better wheels.

But, instead, I got the same Hubs and Rims with "WTB" on them, instead of "Joytech" and "Alex".

They're too heavy.

Don't pay a penny for them.

Exact thing with a differen name: Joytech hubs with Alex TD17 rims on my previous bike, a Raleigh M600