WTB LaserDisc XC Wheelset

You need a front wheel for you favorite whip. Sure, you could settle for some half-ass, get-the-job-done front wheel, or you could go straight for the goods with the WTB LaserDisc XC 28-hole Front Wheel. Built using WTB's lightest rim, the LaserDisc XC Front Wheel reduces rotating weight for faster cornering and increased acceleration. But the LaserDisc XC Front wheel is not only light, it's also super-tough so purchasing a new front wheel doesn't become a seasonal activity.

XCSUR4   Cross Country Rider [Jan 08, 2012]
Strength:

reliable and light

can't find them @ LBSs

I've been mnt.biking since '86, since '94 on nothing but Mavics. I was a bit worried at first when I saw these wheels OEM on my new bike, but these things ROCK !
I'm 185 lbs, I ride hard, and I ride predominately at 3stage, Blue Mountain/Collingwood. Anyone who has ridden here will tell you it's ROCKY and rough. If these wheels work under me, they'll work under anyone. I've ridden almost 5 full seasons on these wheels with very little grief. Currently I have what is my 3rd broken spoke, so I am looking for a replacement for the rear. But I have ridden about 70KM on this wheel WITH a broke spoke !...
and it's still fairly straight. This had proven to be the most reliable wheel I have ever had on the rear of a bike.
Go get some !

Similar Products Used: Mavic 517s, 321s, 230s, Araya, and so on.
scrambledawg   Weekend Warrior [Jul 27, 2011]
Strength:

Inexpensivd

Everything else

On my very first ride on these wheels I bent the rear on a benign rock hit on a section of trail I've ridden 100s of times without incident. These things suck.....if you're going to ride a paved bike path, these are for you. This was NOT a gnarly trail (LOTB if you're familiar)....about as buff as it gets and the rim failed on the first ride. Unreal.

cigar_fiend   Cross Country Rider [Apr 18, 2011]
Strength:

None that I can find

I was at a MTB Race in Ardmore Oklahoma this past weekend and hit a patch of sand that sent me head first into a tree. These rims bent like wet paper. I was able to finish the race because they were rubbing the inside of my shock, but still rolling. I am very disappointed in these rims. I was hoping they would last longer so I could save up for some nice Easton or Mavics, but I guess I will be getting upgrades before I planned to!

These rims are not strong at all. I was not going fast when I hit the sand & tree. This is evident by the total lack of any injury to myself. This front rim is weaker than warm butter. I have called BikeOne and they are going to see if they can be trued or if they have to be replaced. Hopefully, if they have to be replaced BikeOne will work with me some.

Greg   Weekend Warrior [Jul 10, 2010]
Strength:

Light weight, look good

With less than 200 km on them, the rear wheel is no longer straight enough to ride.

I purchased the bike here in Kunshan. Although the mountain biking is limited in here, the short travel and light weight are perfect for riding the rough roads or city riding. I love this bike. I'm a big guy, 6'-1" and 190 lbs. After only 200 km of riding (bunny hopped a couple of speed bumps and ridden off a curb here and there) the rear wheel wiggled more than a hooker's ass on Friday night. It needs some serious straightening. I had no problems with the hubs but the build of this wheelset sucks! I know it's a racing wheelset, but I'm not even riding off road! WTB wouldn't even respond to my emails. The LBS had to completely rebuild the wheels. They were OK until a crash taco-ed the front wheel. No replacement for 28 hole rims. I bought an xt/mavic 317 set.

Similar Products Used: Cane Creek Duros, custom built wheels.
Mack Brown   Racer [Jun 14, 2003]
Strength:

average weight and decent price for what I thought was a competitive product

Weakness! Weakness! Weakness! This product was completely faulty and, with Warranty the lone exception, a terrible company!!

I bought this product fairly recently and was appaled at the strength. The lightweight structure was light for a reason, NO BACKBONE like WTB! I, a former lover of what WTB stands for, am now a sceptic. Lip service for a cause does not sell bad products.

Similar Products Used: Anything else but WTB!!
Rob   Cross Country Rider [Dec 05, 2003]
Strength:

Lightweight, strong and they stay straight

Initial WTB buildup

This review is for the LaserDisc Lite wheelset!

I was initially worried about buying a wheelset from WTB, due to the mixed reviews. However, most people that have had bad experiences with WTB wheelsets had problems with the hubs. Since these are new hubs(which are also used on the DH wheelset)designed by American Classic, I decided to give them a shot. Boy, am I glad I did!

The wheels were not initially straight from WTB, but after a few rides I had them trued, and they have been perfect since. I am a heavy rider, 210lbs.+, and I like drops and big rock gardens, and this wheelset has not missed a beat.

I would recommend this wheelset to anyone from light XC to moderate freeride, because they are light where they can be, and strong where they need to be.

Similar Products Used: Heavy stuff from France.
Biopacebob   Cross Country Rider [Oct 15, 2002]
Strength:

It's Black.Is round.

Guess what?? I broke the freewheel,freehub,uh the thing that sets most bikes apart from track bikes and keeps the cranks from spinning when you arn't pedaling.I'ts toast.

Pretty consistant complaint.If you have these hubs and you've been 9 rides...sell'em before ride 10.

Similar Products Used: Zac 19s with ?? hubs on a 2000 Moab.Mavic 517 with lx
danielle   Weekend Warrior [May 23, 2006]
Strength:

inexpensive, holds up fine for what i do

could be lighter but its entry levelish so thats to be expected

the bottom line is that this wheelset came off of a bike that i purchased at rei, a novara ponderosa fsl, which was at the time the most expensive bike that rei puts out. the bikes price was $1799 retail. i worked for them, so i didnt pay that much. i switched out the frame and used most of their parts on an enduro frame.

for they money this a great set of wheels. they are really supposed to be for cross country, i belive my wheelsize it 26 x 2.1 and i havent had any pinch flats. i'm not doing any huge drops with the bike and i only weigh 120lbs, so the hubs have held up fine for me with no problems. i think for sure that when you purchase a wheelset in the $200 range, you need to expect it to perform like a $200 wheelset, and not the best wheelset on the market. i;m sure that this would not be a good wheelset for downhill or heavy duty freeride. but for cross country and more light use trairide its fine.

Rob   Weekend Warrior [Apr 17, 2004]
Strength:

Light weight and strong rim

Rim is really narrow if you like to ride 2.1+ width tires. The hubs could be stronger.

When I first got these I thought they were trash my issues are as follows.
1. The narrow rims gave me a lot of pinch flats on wider tires.
2. The wheels would never stay trued, even for disk wheels they would get out of wack really noticeable reel quick.
3. The hubs always got lose I constantly had to cut rides short cuz front or rear hubs were loose. The hub never went bad but I can see how they can loosen themselves then go bad really quick.

This is what I did I rebuilt them I didn't replace anything just totally striped them and rebuilt them. After I did this they have been ok for me. I still wish I had different wheels but all in all they have not failed me yet and I rebuilt them over a year ago. If the trail is really bad I will switch to my other wheels that are a lot stronger and heaver. I kind of baby them in that way I guess but I'm still 6-5 250lb and hard on stuff just from my size and normal riding.

Meimine   [Apr 01, 2003]
Strength:

Weight.

Weak, weak, weak. Folded to the front rim on ride # five. No crash, no big hit. It just folded. Worse wheel I've ever owned.

What a terrible product. Stay away if you want something that will last and is worth the cost. I'll never buy WTB wheels again.

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Bontrager, etc.