WTB Laser Disc Trail Wheelset

WTB Laser Disc Trail Wheelset

This wheelset is WTB’s answer to All Mountain abuse. It features the 27-millimeter-wide LaserDisc Trail rim, laced with 28 WTB double-butted spokes to LaserDisc Lite hubs. Optional LaserDisc Super Duty 20mm x 110mm thru-axle front hub.

[Dec 18, 2010]
MonkeyC

Strength:

Strong, light, stays true, no flats, nice look.

Just one, and it's bad: After 2 months of riding, the front hub developed side-to-side play. And it got worse. I called WTB, who was great, and sent me some new bearings. I replaced them, and the problem went away... for a month. Now the play is back and just as bad as before.

I only have the front wheel (not the full wheelset). All is great except the side-to-side play in the hub - which totally sucks. If WTB can solve this problem, it'd be a great wheel, but until then, I'm VERY disappointed, and will be shopping for a new hub :-(

I'll give them 2 chili's; the play is totally unacceptable, but everything else is fine.

DT Swiss, Specialized stock wheels, ST, Sun Ringle, Mavic, etc.

[Jul 13, 2010]
atg

Strength:

sexy

can't keep air in the tires

I have 20 tubes hanging in my garage with slow leaks from these wheels. I'm on my third set of tires & third set of rim tape in 1 year & 1000 miles. I get slow leaks every 40 to 100 miles or riding. I have two layers of thick rim tape in them & still have problems. I just finished the Cascade Cream Puff 100 but had to change two flats (rear & front). If anyone wants to buy them get in touch with me.

mavic, sun

[Apr 15, 2009]
north20

Strength:

Relatively light, solid, and well constructed. I have the set with 28 spokes per wheel and the Super Duty 20mm front hub. Rode them several times, trued each of them just a bit and haven't touched them since. And I'm a Clydesdale rider at 220lbs with gear. This is the first time I've used wheels that I haven't built in about 20 years (these were a gift) and I have to say pre-builts have come a long way.

Aluminum freehub body pretty much requires an upper end cassette with a carrier if you don't won't it getting heavily scored. Though I haven't had any problems with the rear hub, I do wish it engaged faster. If and when the rims die, finding good rims with 28 holes could prove to be a pita.

Obviously as a gift, the price was right. However, these wheels have proven to be quite strong and durable with decent weight. I'm a big guy and I will ride just about any type of terrain; but I'm no hucker and tend to be a finesse rider. These wheels have more than met my expections.

First pre-built wheelset I've ever used.

[Mar 15, 2009]
ebrown247

I'll post more after I use this more. I notice thought that the beta shown above lists the wheels as 28 spoke. WTB lists as 32 on wtb.com. I'm purchasing later and will update after some riding. Hopefully it's a 32.