WTB Laser Beam Wheelset

Laser Beam

Super light and strong cross country racing rim for use with rim or disc brakes. 14/15g DT black spokes with Alloy Black nipples. 32 hole, black, welded and machined Laser Beam 22mm rims. Momentum front hub and XT rear hub.

Philip   Cross Country Rider [Mar 18, 2001]
Strength:

Light (?), nice spokes, OK hubs (WTB momentum disc = non-greaseguard), true, well built.

No real ones. Some seal somewhere in the hubs sometimes gets dry and decides to squeek when the temperature is just so. Anodizing wore off braking surface in a hurry.

Have stayed true for the duration of 1,000 miles of offroad riding (no real thrashing, just fast cross country and a little freeriding type-stuff). I've gotten a few pinch flats and the rims show braking surface rock contact but I have yet to have to true them. I have run v-brakes and discs with them and there is no real slop or brake rub. Accelerate well and handle nicely. I don't know if they would stand up to real abuse (as in misuse). I have yet to ride wheels which were total dogs so I can't say they are the best ever, just as good as I expect they should be. Inexpensive, durable and great looking. What more do you want? 5 burning cats for value, 4 for overall (there are certainly better wheelsets out there for more $$).

Similar Products Used: Lots
Lou Jones   Racer [Mar 22, 2000]
Strength:

Light, stayed true

WTB tire was hard to get on

These came perfectly straight and have not wavered. I keep
checking just because I want to see when they come loose.
Black spokes and 28 hole radial are high on the cool factor and the price seems way cheep. I heard airbomb has a new
builder so see if Jon builds yours if you get them. I talked them into wtb skewers for cheap - nice looking and
work well but kinda heavy.

Similar Products Used: Crossmax
Steve E   Cross Country Rider [Feb 07, 2000]
Strength:

Very slick, cool, and eye catching.
awesome construction and super stiff.
25mm width optional.
Xtra light at approx 1700g per set.

excess grease catches dust, but still protects the hub (no real problem)

These wheels ROCK! Dino Valley is a rocky, steep and brutal single track in places and these things didn't flinch once, even at close to 30mph.
even after taking some slight spoke damage being shipped these wheels are true as new and solid as Hell.
Some of the best looking wheels on the planet.
X-country doesn't get any tougher than this.
We'll see how they stand up over time.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Mavericks
Graeme   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 13, 1999]
Strength:

Extremely well built, Long lasting, greese guard system, and stays true longer.

My decals came off! O golly.

I have my laser beam rims on momentum hubs and they are working great. Its been over a year now and i have only needed to true the rear wheel once. And i have riden them a lot and ran into a few things and they are still good. They are the best rim out there but nobody knows about it yet.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 217 cermaic and mavic 121.
clevis   Weekend Warrior [Nov 01, 1999]
Strength:

good build, good looking wheels and hubs

the guys @ sportslink did a very good job in building these wheels. when i got them from the ups guy, i immediately put them on the truing stand and they looked great. good tension and very true. once i was done with that, i put them on the bike and went for a test ride. i rode pretty hard and purposely slammed into rocks and roots and they came back looking good.

Similar Products Used: mavic 217, 517
Jordan Lambert   Weekend Warrior [Aug 17, 2001]
Strength:

Very light, super-strong, stay true. One of the best dollar values going. Used hard over roots, rocks, hard & loose dirt, mud. Really take a beating.

Nothing, but some spokes needed tightening (finally after 2 years)

Great for XC riding/racing and anywhere quick responsive wheels are needed (like singletrack). If you are looking for strong race-ready rims these babys are the ticket.

Similar Products Used: Weiman Zac, Mavic 222
matt martinez   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2004]
Strength:

price

Everything, I rode on these rims less than 50 miles and thrashed the rear beyond repair. The front wheel is also been impossible to true. This should not happen within two weeks of purchasing the product. I also had a WTB velocoraptor tire that ripped on the seam between the side wall and tread. Word to the wise, do not buy WTB anything!!

I rode on these rims less than 50 miles and thrashed the rear beyond repair. The front wheel is also been impossible to true. This should not happen within two weeks of purchasing the product. I also had a WTB velocoraptor tire that ripped on the seam between the side wall and tread. Word to the wise, do not buy WTB anything!! I weigh 150 pounds and if they cannot handle me, do you want to by them.