WTB Dual Duty FR Wheelset

• Front hub spokes
  • Lightweight and strong
  • F Hub: LaserDisc Lite

jackdshutter   Weekend Warrior [Oct 15, 2010]
Strength:

look sturdy/beefy

rim's o.d. is a tad big, making tire installation a nightmare. i got a 2.4 maxxis ardent & i can install this tire to my old mavic 321 with bare fingers but on dual duty, it's a chore & you need good levers. broke my 15 yr old plastics lever loading my tire on this rim. worst of all, tire does not sit onto rim properly. you need to lightly inflate to 5 psi & push out to position properly around ~6" arc portion of tire i.d. out of rim, otherwise tire will be wobbling big time!

good sturdy wheels for the price. can take a little abuse just make sure tire sits properly.

kyzzer   Weekend Warrior [Jan 19, 2010]
Strength:

they are easy to straiten

they bend alot for me

i hate them because they keep geting a bend that hits the frame and im sick of fixing them

Moodrid   Cross Country Rider [Jan 17, 2009]
Strength:

Good looking,fairly light and very durable

I am a bigger rider and these hold up well and stay true.I have them on both of my bikes.I think they are going to quit making them which I think is a shame.I got my last pair for 89.00.If you can get some I would before they are all gone.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager and Wal Mart stuff
Bruzer   Weekend Warrior [Oct 17, 2008]
Strength:

Strong wide rims, Disc brake compatible, not too expensive.

None so far.

I decided to go with the WTB Dual Duty wheel set when I bent the rim of my stock wheels. The rims are slightly wider than my old rims but that helps fit larger tires more easily. My old brake rotors mounted flawlessly as did my rear cassette. These wheels have worked well so far, looking forward to putting many miles on them.

Similar Products Used: Stock wheels that came with my bike.
steve F   Downhiller [Apr 27, 2007]
Strength:

they seem to hold up a 200 pound rider so-so

heavyer than a MAG 30 with a STOUT on the friggen thing
feels like theres flex when i torque out on it
+ flex on landing tranny or flat

heavy warped alittle from lightly louse spokes pinch flat alot heavy but if you dont care and want a set of rims to just ride on and if ur lighter than i am then you'll probably like them more than i will

Similar Products Used: s-type, mag 30, super sycle rims (lol) , single tracks
tscheezy   [Apr 08, 2007]
Strength:

Surprisingly durable.
Very reasonable weight.
Reliable engagement of the freehub.
Extremely stiff rims that stay true.
Wide rims for their weight.
Well sealed bearings.

Kinda cheap generic spokes.
Rear hub adjustment sucks pretty bad.
More freehub engagement points would be nice.
Wider flange spacing for more wheel strength.

This review is for the original Dual Duty FR with the 20mm front axle that came on my '05 Turner 6-Pack.

After hearing all the horror stories about the American Classic hubs these are based on, I was ready to hate these wheels. I have to admit that they are surpassing my expectations nicely. I ride in very very wet conditions here in coastal Alaska (think North Shore), and sealing is a very big deal to me. The AM Classic wheels were known for having terrible seals and needing frequent bearing replacement. Not so with these. They are sealed far better than XT and probably better than my DTs. Every time I open them up and go into the bearings I am pleasantly surprised at how clean the grease looks.

The rims are very wide for their width and extremely stiff. The pokes aren't the greatest and I have broken one or two on the rear when the heads popped off at the elbow, but the rims stayed true due to their stiffness. No serious need for truing yet depsite trips to Utah and a lot of ugly pounding and drops to flat.

I really hate the cone-wrench style rear hub adjustment system where you really need 3 arms to get them set up. Dumb system. You also are supposed to leave a tiny bit of play in the rear hub as any preload on the bearings reduces their life spans (supposedly, according to Am Classic). Play in hubs makes the bike bump and rattle and is annoying as hell. Adjusting to eliminate any play is a pretty frustrating procedure of trial and error (you have to put the wheel in the drops and tighten the QR down to really check for play) with the stupid cone wrench system.

The front 20mm hub is just sort of there. It works, nothing to report.

Overall great wheels. 5 flaming turds for value since they are inexpensive.

4 for overall since the rear hub adjustment is super lame.

Similar Products Used: Lots and lots of wheels. King ISO and Discotech, DT 240 and 240s, Shimano XT, etc.
MrNutt   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2008]
Strength:

their strength is their strength!

a bit weighty but not too bad

used & abused, wacked a kerb and expected a blown tyre and a buried tyre, not a dent, hard as nails!

D rock   [Jun 26, 2006]
Strength:

Wow what a wheelset. These are the nicest wheels I have ever owned. Super strong, and lightweight too. The 30mm width makes a smaller tire ride like a bigger tire, because it gives it a much larger "footprint". Bearings are super smooth, and very quiet. The black on black looks really nice too !

Price, but you get what you pay for.

If you would like to stop truing your wheels after every ride, or you are fat rider like me (250 +) that is tired of breaking things. Get these. They can really take a beating.

Similar Products Used: You name it.
kirkus   Downhiller [Apr 10, 2006]
Strength:

light and strond

none so far

Very good wheels. Light and strong, recommended for fr. Urban riding doesn't affect them :D