Vuelta Team SuperLite Disc Wheelset

• Pattern: three cross

[Mar 12, 2015]
Brian Mayeux

Strength:

weak. I think cardboard wheels would be more durable.

After 2 rides, the rear freehub failed. And after about 10 rides the front rim taco'ed. Absolute garbage. I weigh 200 lbs.

[May 28, 2012]
willywilly

Strength:

-light
-inexpensive

-none

I wanted something light for my bike, and at around 1600g and $270, these fit the bill without breaking the bank. There's nothing better than a light wheelset because you can really feel the difference every time you pedal. I got these from bikeisland and out of the box they were straight and true with no damage and with everything there. I couldn't be more happy with this upgrade and haven't had any problems so far in the year I've had them, but I mainly ride xc and am a lightweight.

-mavic crossride

[Dec 27, 2011]
Gabe3

Strength:

light and cheap

I bought this wheelset brand new on ebay about 6 months ago, after 4 months I started hearing a noise in the rear hub and then the freehub body began to slip when I would start to pedal. I took the freehub out and cleaned the pawls and lubed, a few weeks later its making loud creaking noises and slipping. I only had about 700 miles till I started having these issues. I thought this wheelset was a win. I could get a new freehub body for $50, but if its going to go bad every 700 miles, money is better spent on a new rear wheel from another brand. I can't recommend this wheelset and I won't be buying vuelta again.

do not buy

[Nov 20, 2011]
rojomas

Strength:

Light, Cheap, Smooth

These things roll really well. My bike was hanging from the rafters in my garage when my girlfriend came over. Before she came in to the house she spun my front wheel. She talked to me inside the house for about 5min. then we went back out to the garage where she continued to talk to me. Then she stopped dead in her sentence and said, "Really? that wheel is still spinning? It hasn't slowed down and that was over 5min ago. Really?" She continued to talk to me and every couple of minutes she would turn and say, "Really? It's still not slowing down. WTH?"
I knew they felt fast while riding them but I had no idea they spun so well.

These might not be the strongest wheelset out there but
I'm 210 lbs. and I haven't had any problems with them. It may be due to my BMX background and knowing how to land but I have jumped them (nothing huge) and they're still true. I think if you use them for their intended use and not abuse them, you'll be fine. After all they are a light weight XC wheelset.

I really love how the rear freehub sounds and it's engagement. They sound to me kind of like a quieter Chris King hub.

Bontrager Race light,

[Aug 27, 2011]
greensprings

Strength:

inexpensive!! Lightweight

Maybe not super durable. Not really compatible w/tubeless

No one but Vuelta sells wheels this light this cheap.
I weigh 160 and have ridden these wheels hard in races through cobbles and stuttering sideways around corners. They have rarely needed truing. When they do the bladed spokes make it easy since you can see if you've twisted a spoke. After a season of really hard riding I broke my rear axle and a spoke. I replaced both with parts from Bike Island. Axle replacement was a little tricky. There is a hidden C clip in the freehub. Also the cassette tends to dig into the freehub body a bit. Don't know if this will be a problem.
I actually bought a second pair of these wheels as I am poor and these are the best for the $.

[May 05, 2011]
G-FOURce

Strength:

superlight, well built, great value

ugly stickers

i, too, am a 200lb rider and i have been supremely happy with this wheelset. i am slow uphill but i bum rush the downhills and these wheels havent failed a bit - not a spoke, rim, or hub issue at all. i run my suspension a little softer b/c i know these rims are for XC duty and so far everything is working out just fine. i run platforms and dab a lot so i get into the corners as much as gravity, good sense, and my Fat Alberts will allow. if you want a bomb-proof set of downhill and freeride wheels, these arent for you. however, if you want a set of do-it-all XC/AM wheels and you're not going to be shooting for a SportsCenter highlight reel then these are a great choice.

[Feb 15, 2011]
Paul

This wheel set should come with a weight limit. I'm 6'2", 200lbs and these wheels couldn't hold up to 20mi of trail riding here on the relatively smooth trails at Palos. To top it off, I've been trying to purchase a new wheel as part of Vuelta's crash replacement policy to no avail. After many emails, Vuelta responds that they have no idea when a new wheel might be available, and that it may never become available; they just don't know. Vuelta doesn't offer an alternative, just advice to keep trying and maybe one day they may have the wheel.

A product is only as good as the company that 'stands behind it'. Vuelta makes a weak wheel that is supported by a company with an even weaker policy on warranty/crash replacement. Consider them a disposable wheel set and forget about Vuelta once they're in the trash bin.

Mavic C29ssmax, Shimano XT 29er, Mavic Crossmax SLC, Crank Brothers Cobalt, and numerous build-ups with DT Swiss hubs and Mavic rims.

[Nov 01, 2010]
Taocat

Strength:

Light, fast, durable.

Was missing a skewer when I got them.

Great value on a reasonably lightweight wheelset! Never had a problem with these going out of true. Fast rolling! Set them up "ghetto tubeless" without any problems. Love these wheels and may look to Vuelta for a set of cross' wheels too!

Specialized hubs with mavic rims, other house brand wheels.

[Sep 05, 2010]
HiptonRadcliffeIII

Strength:

light and cheap

strength. cheesy graphics (but I don't think mountain biking is strong in this category in general). compatibility (don't bring these into your lbs looking for parts).

this product does not have strong enough rims for my style of riding.
If your tires regularly leave the ground while riding xc or your an aggressive corner-er, these are seriously not for you. I've bent the rim to the point it hits the frame twice. I've ridden the wheelset twice.
If your fast because you crank hard in flats or climb like a goat, these might work for you.
However, if you make up time in technical sections and corners. you need something else.
you might be sitting there saying: duh! why are you buying a light weight wheel set? I've never had a problem in the past. I weight 160lbs. I am relatively smooth in technical terrain, but I need my wheels to be able to take some side load as I am getting through technical terrain.
results seem to vary...

mostly AM style wheels

[Sep 05, 2010]
Plain Jim

Strength:

The wheels themselves? I like ‘em. Nice and light; noticeably better for quick starts and hills than the Xero’s I replaced.

1. Tires are hard to put on & off. I used to do it by hand on my old wheels; with the Vuelta’s, I have to use a stiff tire tool (they broke my lightweight one). This is a problem, because…
2.The rim tape that comes on the wheels is useless. I ground through about five tubes, and only noticed on the last one that the punctures were on the INSIDE of the tube, not the tire side (I’m not the brightest bulb in the chandelier). Do yourself a favor: get the 17mm-wide Velox rim tape while you’re waiting for delivery, and, before you install the tubes, rip out that cheesy Vuelta rim tape and put in the Velox.
3. The quick release for the rear wheel kept loosening up. This was not a problem with the front release, nor have I heard this complaint anywhere else, but I almost wiped out halfway through a club ride (there was some warning; I heard a rub and felt some wobbliness that wasn’t a flat tire, but I couldn’t figure out what it was. Like I said, not the brightest bulb…). I replaced with some standard inexpensive QR’s, and have not had a problem since. It’s kinda too bad, because the Vuelta QR triggers are cool-lookin’.

Get 'em, but do the maintenance.

Xero's that came on my old Giant OCR2