Velomax Climax Wheelset

Climax

• Oversize suspension fork hub
  • Self adjusting sealed cartridge bearings with proprietary lubricant
  • Custom anodized alloy nipples (brass rear drive side)
  • Aero cross section rims
  • Double butted stainless steel spokes - black finish
  • Dark titanium gray anodized finish with machined braking surfaces

• User Reviews (10)

Kris   Cross Country Rider [Nov 11, 2002]
    Strength:

these wheels are light, strong and well engineered.
    spin fast and look great.

retail price is pretty expensive.
    i haven't had to replace a spoke yet, we'll see how that goes

these wheels are really nice and i truly love them.
    i was somewhat skeptical when i purchased them because i got them off of e-bay and honestly knew nothing about them. i researched them, bought them and am very impressed. i felt compelled to write a review because they have improved my riding experience so much. retail price is high but they are available for much less if you look hard enough. the front hub is over-sized and adds torsional stiffness. these wheels spin smooth and fast and hold up to quite a bit of pounding. so far so good.

Similar Products Used: shimano xt, mavic 217
    KEVIN KRUGER   Racer [May 28, 1999]
    Strength:

THIS IS A WHEEL THAT DOES NOT GIVE UP STRENGTH FOR LIGTNESS.IT IS THE BEST WHEEL I HAVE EVER RACED ON IN THE 12 YEARS THAT IVE BEEN RACING BIKES.

NONE

THIS IS THE ONLY HUB I HAVE EVER HELD IN MY HAND AND WAS ABLE TO SPIN THE HUB,NOT BILT MIND YOU, AND HAVE THE HUB SPIN MANY TIMES AROUND. THAT WAS VERY IMPRESIVE.

Similar Products Used: MAVIC CROSSMAX AS WELL AS WTB RIMS BILT ON WHITE INDUSTRY HUBS.
    Rodd Wescott   Cross-Country Rider [May 19, 1999]
    Strength:

Wheels arrived true.
    Wheels stayed true.
    Silky bearings w/ no
    adjustment.

My friends borrow them, which keeps them off my bike.

Kick-ass wheels. I'd buy them again if I had too.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Crossmax'
    Chris Johnson   Cross Country Rider [Sep 18, 2000]
    Strength:

These wheels look great, spin great, are a snap to maintain (except...), and don't get too bent. They offer a good union of light and strong. A joy to true. (All the folks that I have talked to at Velomax always seem shocked when they hear that I need to true them about every 400 miles --that their wheels would even need to be trued)

The price. There is no way I could have bought these if I did not work at a bike shop. I fear the day that I break a spoke. The sidewall/ braking surface on the Velocity rims are too narrow; if you run a 2.1 tire with beefy shoes, it is hard to get the shoe not to hit the sidewall when the brakes are off. My freehub body died after 4 months of use. There "custom" seal did not work, at all.

If you can spend the cash, why not. The T3 technology is the only way to get the necessary spoke tension for a radial laced wheel

Similar Products Used: LX hubs with sunn rims; 221 with XT
    Bruce James   Weekend Warrior [Nov 27, 2003]
    Strength:

Fairly lightweight, super strong, roll like a dream. Don't assume I'm gay if I think they're pretty! I'm not gay, they are pretty.

None that I've found yet.

Bottom line-two wrecks. The first should have taco'd my front wheel. It did manage to separate my shoulder. The second - somehow a nice thick stick found its way into my front wheel. Over the handlebars again. Didn't pop a spoke and the wheel is still perfectly true! At first I was hesitant to fork out even the 260,(I'm a tightwad) After riding on them for a year, highly recommend them to anyone looking for a good solid wheel. I would be glad to pay double to replace them. I feel my opinion is objective too, I would be happy to tell you if they sucked steaming chilis. If you want a good deal find them on eBay.

Similar Products Used: Stock wheels on two different GT's
    Jeremy   Cross Country Rider [Nov 25, 2002]
    Strength:

These wheels rock. I have to tell the world about them. Of course I could be like this because my last wheels sucked so bad. But I think they rock. The are light and spin like you would not beleive. Even riding my MTB across town is a lot better or a trip. Oh so light

Going to be lots of bank when it comes time to replace a spoke but I have talked to many a racer and they say they have never had to replace one and few have even had to true them.

You want to ride a lot or just dont want to ever mess with a wheel this is it for you.

Similar Products Used: Nothing is similar
    Clyde   [Nov 28, 2002]
    Strength:

- Bombproof
    - light weight for the strength

- cost is a rip off

These wheelsets as well as their Rogue set are simply velocity rims with their own hubs. Do you want to build these wheels for half of what the MSRP is? By the Velicity Deep V and Aero Heat rims (about $25- $40 each and usually being on sale) and get some Chris King hubs. I've been using this combination for the last 3 years. I prefer the Aero Heat rims as the don't require the long tube stems (good luck finding these for mountain bikes).

Also of note, I weigh 225lbs and have never had my rims trued even throug 3 race seasons. Enough said.

Art Rosch   Cross Country Rider [Mar 23, 2001]
    Strength:

Light, beautifully finished, detailed

don't know yet

I haven't ridden these very long. I took one look at them,
    felt the bearings and thought 'oh man, these are the wheels
    I've been looking for'. I found them used at the local
    recycle shop. Took them up the infamous Repack Trail
    in the Mt. Tam watershed. Came home, emailed Velomax
    for some info about the hubs, about servicing. They emailed
    me back immediately. These are real people with a real
    concern about the quality of their product. The wheels are light, strong, built with incredible attention to detail and
    very practical engineering wisdom. You spin one of these
    in your hands and you see the closest thing to a perpetual
    motion machine. Makes the smooth-but-gluey feel of CK's
    and Rolfs seem kinda crude. If I have a problem or change
    my mind I'll post another review. I don't expect to; and
    if I do, the company will back the wheels up, no questions
    asked, even though I bought them used.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Race, XTR, Rolf Propel, Chris King
    Dan   Cross Country Rider [Jul 10, 2002]
    Strength:

Very light, and very stong. Tight spoke tension.

Price, but I got lucky on a set of new ones on e-bay - seller got them at close out cost from bankruptcy sale. Otherwise, no way I could have afforded them. (They probably are worth the $700 though)

These wheels really perform. They are light, strong, come true new and stay true. I tend to be pretty hard on my gear, and I was used to having to true and dish my wheels with some frequency, but the Climax wheels take a beating and remain true. The hubs are of exceptional quality as well, made out of titanium and completely serviceable.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 517s, XT hubs.
    Perci   Weekend Warrior [Jul 16, 2002]

Light, strong, stiff, cool. Comes true, stays true after a hard ride. These wheels will take every abuse. I got it from Ebay for $300. I think the best investment for my bike.
    For those looking for bombproof wheels this is it. I'm 170 lbs. This wheels cost $700 but check ebay.