Sun-Ringle Charger Pro Wheelset

Charger Pro

All-mountain wheelsThat are all-mountainTough and XC light.Rear Wheel Details Rim: Stans NoTubes Hub/Brake Compatibility: 6-Bolt Disc TireType:Tubeless Compatible Cassette BodyType:Shimano 9/10/SRAM Rear Hub Spacing: 135 mm Rear AxleType: 10x1 Skewer Included: Yes Hub Drilling: 24 Spoke Info: Wheelsmith ISO Diameter: 559 / 26" mtn Rim Material: Alloy Valve: Presta Valve Length: Short 32-40mm IncludesThe following; Stans No-Tubes yellow rimTape, sealant, valve stems, Su

formerbmxguy   [Nov 19, 2013]
Strength:

i find this wheelset to be a free rolling smooth wheelset

i looked and shopped around for over a month i was told at a local shop by a rep that i would love this wheelset im not a small guy 350+ and i seem to be haveing a hard time keeping the rear wheel true im in the bike shop at least once a week getting it trued im kinda disappointed

over all i like the wheels the stickers came off just fine brand new tires are hard to get seated but after the scarey pops there good id tell anyone to get these just not if their an oversized person

HereWeGo   [May 23, 2013]
Strength:

They look pretty.

THE REAR HUB S U C K S!!!!!!, and front nipples are frozen on spokes.

I have had this wheelset for 7 months. The rear hub developed play and Sun Ringle replaced the freehub, then a month later the ratchet ring in the hub started spinning when pedaling hard...I give up. It takes 3-4 weeks for them to do service, and I have to pay $42.00 to ship them the wheels. So I have spent over $80 to use this wheelset AFTER the purchase price...I feel like an idiot. Was trying to save money with this wheelset, but with down time and shipping I could have bought something much better...live and learn, I am going to sell these or give them away and try another brand...bummed.

Fippo   All Mountain Rider [Jan 22, 2013]
Strength:

Cost, Weight, Strength, performance, appearance...

none that I've found

I paid $470 for a set of the Charger Pro 29ers from AE Bike for use on my single speed. I've ridden these on some really rough, rocky trails around Arizona and haven't spared them in any way; they've taken the beating with no issues.
I love them. Note: I weigh 162 lbs and my bike is 23 lbs so there hasn't been a ton of weight on them.

Similar Products Used: Easton XC Two, Bontrager Mustangs, Bontrager Rhythm Elite... all performed admirably.
Dan Blodgett   Weekend Warrior [Oct 20, 2012]
Strength:

Beefy straight-pull hubs, wide rims, adaptability, tubeless ready, graphics are easy to remove, lots of extras, available in white!

Weight (for Cross Country application).

Sun-Ringle 29" Charger Pro AM wheelset.

These wheels really are a great value. I paid $550 + $18.00 for the 12 x 142mm adapter endcaps. The extra goodies -- valestems, Stan's sealant, skewers, 9/15/20mm endcaps -- are a nice bit of kit.

The combination of straight-pull hubs/spokes, Stan's proprietary rim design, and the ability to run any front axle and a 12 x 142mm rear thru-axle makes these the only choice in this price range for many people.

If this 29" wheelset weighed as much as advertised I would give them the highest rating possible. Unfortunately, they weigh 2015 grams (as delivered with 9mm endcaps, Stan's rimtape and no valvestems) which is 175g more than listed on Sun-Ringle's website (1840g). Curiously, the cheaper 29" Charger Expert wheelset is listed as weighing 2000g.

Burly enough as a Trail/All-Mountain wheelset, they are a bit too porky for spirited XC work.

Thanks!

Similar Products Used: Novatec Diablo
Bontrager Mustang
Maddux (Formula)
26rando   [Jun 10, 2012]
Strength:

Price. Adaptability (9mm qr, 15 and 20mm through axle, rear through). Bead Socket Technology. Tubeless compatible (came with everything needed). Relatively inexpensive for what you get.

Stickers.

I've put close to 300 miles on this wheelset and have not had any problems. I've mounted Intense System 4, Geax TNT Saguaros and Kenda Nevegal UST tires. The Geax and Kendas are tubeless. I tried using my floor pump but i was unable to seat the tires so I ended up using an air compressor. They provide a nice wide footprint and I haven't had a problem with "burping". The wheels have seen the dusty and sandy trails of So Cal and a hard winter in the Pacific Northwest and the hubs are still running smooth as ever. This is my first set of tubeless and couldn't be happier. No complaints.

Dlongb13   Racer [May 02, 2012]
Strength:

Light, strong, removable stickers, good sounding freehub.

Thin spokes. Tacky stickers.

I have had these rims for about 2 months now and I couldn't be happier for the money. I found these for 450 shipped after scouring the web. I have put these through the ringer in the short time I have had them, from racing the Sea Otter Classic DH, to riding plenty of other DH and lots of trail miles with rocks and roots, and they are stiff hanging in there. I did have 1 really bad wreck where I broke 2 spokes but besides that they were perfectly fine, no bend or anything and they were still rideable until I could get them fixed.

I have the 12mm thru axle conversion with the tapered axle for my 135mm wide '12 Nomad and it is a huge upgrade. Before I had the thru axle I would say the rear was a little flexy when slamming into berms and fast off camber situations, but with the 12mm, its solid as a rock. The conversion kit can be had at any LBS, was about 25 bucks, just have them give Sun Ringle/Hayes a call.

I have pushed all my friends to look into these wheel when they are ready to upgrade. Just the fact that you can set them up to fit pretty much every bike out there minus a 150mm rear, is reason enough to buy them. And yes the stickers are very tacky, but they come off with ease so don't let that be a deterrent.

The hubs so far haven't given me any issues and the freehub have a nice sound to it. Not crazy loud like a CK or i9 thank god, but noticeable. I have applied a lot of grease to mine to make it as dull as possible and it sounds great.

Tubeless set-up was also easy as pie using a floor pump.

Go buy these wheels!

Statenp   Racer [Aug 09, 2011]
Strength:

Light, solid rims, lots of hub options, rim tape preinstalled

Can't get rid of a litte bit of play in rear wheel. Thru axle conversion kit really hard to track down.

Really light wheelset that comes with Stans rime tape preinstalled. Super easy to setup tubeless. I ran tubeless on this wheelset with Continental Mountain Kings and Nevegal's with no issue. The wheelset has held up well for the roots and rocks thrown at it in the southeast. The included end caps for the front fork give it alot of flexibility. I have a little play that won't go away in the rear hub. A local bike shop claims it is causing shifting issues (they put cass on other wheelsets and no problems). Also a tad bit flexy in the rear.

Similar Products Used: Sun Ringle Charger, Kovachi Wheels, Azonic Outlaws, Mavics, etc.
UPSed   Weekend Warrior [Jul 11, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight, easy tubeless set up, good lucks.

I was looking for an AM UST or TR wheelset. Was gonna have some built up and a friend recommended the Charger Experts. Through some online searching I was able to pick up the Pros for a few dollars more. I'm 240 with gear but am relatively light on my feet and ride mostly XC and AM and the occasional DH and so far they're still tight and true. I'm running Nevegal USTs and they seal up instantly with my compressor at 30psi.

Similar Products Used: DT Swiss 540s, Azonic Outlaws
hiawatha-de   Downhiller [Jun 12, 2011]
Strength:

semi-light, roll fast

uses stan's rim strip for ust conversion (spoke eyelets are not airtight).

figured I'd post a review since there was only one so far. Had these wheels for a while. have not had to true them yet and have put them through some abuse. Mostly ride all-mountain so small drops with some rock gardens thrown in with single track riding. so they have held up so far and no maintenance issues. Bought them because sun wheels seem to roll pretty fast in my opinion and these are no exception.
A few complaints as they are not perfect. The wheels can either be used with or without tubes. The wheels come with stan's rim tape which in my case the rim tape had small holes in it (probably from the spoke eyelets)and was unable to make an airtight seal when putting on a tubeless tire. I simply used electrical tape to reinforce the holes to make them airtight, but definitely a negative. Also they are a bit flexy. Best felt when bombing downhill which is not so reassuring when blasting high speed. So with the flex involved i would say they are more XC oriented than AM. If they were on sale they would be worth purchasing. I bought them because they were cheaper than the crossmax sx and havens. Still I'm happy with them, but just has me wondering if the crossmax or haven have less flex being the same 24 count spoke. Did I mention they roll fast?

Similar Products Used: mavic deemax, mavic 823, sun a.d.d., sun str8 track.
Kealoha   Weekend Warrior [Mar 14, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight, great build quality, strong, includes stan's yellow tape/valves/sealant, adapters for 9mm QR/15mm/20mm, good looks, price

not too many points of engagement for the rear free hub but really no issues for me

A great value for a tough dependable wheel. Was considering Mavic Crossmax SX but wanted a more budget friendly set and these fit the bill quite nicely. The 24h rims have the Stan's BST with a 22.6mm width and were easy to convert standard Continental Trail King 2.4F/2.2R with the included tubeless conversion. The spokes are still nicely tuned and no wobbles or hops so far. Highly recommended!