Sun-Ringle Black Flag Wheelset

• Lacing: Radial
  • Nipples: Alloy
  • Spokes: Doubel butted 14/15 gauge

backlaboy   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2010]

Follow up to my old review. Finally got the rims to work. Had to use lots of offset in the pads. They are super light and you will feel the difference when you accelerate. Seems stiff enough for my riding style and weight.

OVERALL
Rob   Cross Country Rider [Mar 31, 2008]
Strength:

Light @1365g.

Braking surface is machined poorly.

These rims are light but the buid quality is poor. I guess you get what you pay for when wheels of similar weight usually cost 1K. Anyhow, the braking surface is machined poorly. You can feel the weld on the braking surface where the 2 ends of the rim are joined. The brakes pulsate/stutter when applied. I sent the wheels back and it cost me 42 bucks(they wouldn't pay for shipping to the factory). The rims came back today and they no longer look the same. The front rim is silver on the braking surface while the rear is still black (I assume they tried to machine the surface smooth thus the paint was removed). No big deal I thought as long as they are fixed. Upon closer inspection I can still see and feel the weld on the braking surface. The wheels are the same. I am thinking about replacing the front rim with the MAvic Crossmax SL disk. I can run disk brakes up front and V-brake on the rear.