Sun-Ringle 2001 Tomac DHS Wheelset

Easy serviceability
Welded, 20mm through axle
Available with 12mm rear through axle
36mm wide custom hard-anodized downhill rim
Pinch Resistant Bead-Clinch provides durability and lighter rotational weight.

JayZ   [Dec 14, 2001]
Strength:

I have the rims only. These rims stay true through alot of sh*t. I ride urban only, and I'm not as smooth as I could be. These have taken alot of stairs and drops, and I haven't had to true them once yet.

Dents, dents, dents! These things dent up like a mother. My rear wheel looks like a Coke can that got banged up with a baseball bat. I'm in the process of changing it up to Hayes rear hub with a Mav 321. We'll see how that goes. Anyway, like one of the other reviews here said, it seems like they start to get messed up a little soon.

Well, my front wheel isn't really bent up at all yet. I must say these rims stay true pretty well. I just don't think that my rear wheel should be as dented as it is. If you're a finesse dh-er, these will probably do the trick. If you just plain beat on your components, might want to check out all your options.

Similar Products Used: Codas (not even worth mentioning), rynos
"Fast Bacon" Mojo   Weekend Warrior [Apr 17, 2001]
Strength:

Nice design, anodized surface for wear-strength, 'phat', weight's not too bad.

Mine came in anodized white, which is a bit 'funky' looking, but looks aside, so far they're great!

Only used a couple of times, but usually, new rims need truing pretty quick after taking hits - none so far. Spokes are tight and the feel of the wheel is much less noticeable than some other "lighter" rims. Bear in mind that I am on the 'rims' only and have custom hubs for my ride other than Sun... I weigh in at 200lbs, so strength and durablility of any bike part have always been an issue with me. I will write back more once I put these rims through a season of hella riding here in Whistler (which is for the most part, sick!) and send another review, but for now, they're the nicest looking (design, not colour) and feeling (light throw weight) rim I've tried yet... Let's see what happens now.

As for testing the throw weight, I have spun some pretty technical S/T around here and I was fully able to flick them around in tight situations. Again, having a huge-squish beast carrying them does impact immediate feel, but I like 'em so far.

Similar Products Used: Sh!tloads...Suns mostly, Rhyno-Lites, CR's, Mavics way back when... Just the usual bunch of rims out there.
Forrest Arakawa   Downhiller [Jun 07, 2001]
Strength:

Very lightweight. Super strong. Easy to maintain. No problems mounting tires. Single wide rim for extra durability without compramising weight. Skewer fits well through the hub. Hub cones fit perfect between the lowers on a boxxer.

None yet.. I've been using them for 6 months without a problem.

These wheels have been through a lot. You must understand that although I would like to claim it, I have not been blessed with FINESSE! This means that my wheels usually have problems... I've ridden them off countless drops to flat landings.. They've been in 5 races with large doubles that I usually case.. These wheels are durable and have not caused a problem for me yet...

Similar Products Used: Mavic
F.B. Mojo   Downhiller [Jun 06, 2001]
Strength:

Holds a tire well
Not too heavy
Nice finish (anodized)

See comments below...

I reviewed these puppies shortly after riding on them as they came stock with my RM7. I have just the Tomac DH rims, coupled to some Rocky hubs and DT spokes... They held out - up to a point.

Now that the gondola has been opened for some time here in Whistler, the DH courses are sweet to ride... Unfortunately, I have sustained some _very_ obvious dents in the rims from sharp object impacts; the wheels are falling out of true often, and overall, just seem WAY too soft for the kinda riding they were apparently meant to do. I'm not sure what to do now....they can be trued, but the dents are accumulating fast a furious, and along with the dents and creases, the anodized surface is starting to chip away.... Blech!!

I wish I had better things to say....but it does seem that these take a lot of abuse and start to faulter fairly quick. I'll keep riding them till that inevitable day, when they'll just pop on me, then, who knows...currently eyeballing the Mavic 321's....

Just a little update as promised.

Similar Products Used: Many
Alan K.   Downhiller [Jun 20, 2001]
Strength:

Very strong design and lightweight for serious downhill wheels. I dig the finish, and they hold the tire very well. They are also really easy to keep true...not a problem at all to maintain them.

No problems as of yet after 3 months!

Basically, I thrash my bikes. I'm still learing how to ride technical stuff and I whack rocks, roots, stumps, and everything else that gets in the way. My last pair of wheels was totally worked after about 1 year, and I have a strong feeling these will hold up much better. Landing on flats or endo-ing over the bars has a way of tweaking your wheels, but overall these seem to stay pretty true...and if they get out of shape they are really easy to maintain and work on. For a downhill/slalom wheel they are pretty light, and I dig the way the look.

Anyhow, I think these wheels are pretty killer and would highly recommend them.