Sun-Ringle 2001 SUV Disc Wheelset

Super strong design
Extremely versatile
Welded and machined rims
D-ahaped axle on front hub keeps fork legs from flexing
Wide range of disc adaptability

freerider33   Weekend Warrior [Sep 11, 2008]
Strength:

Sounds great.Nice engagement.Seems reliable to me!

None so far.

Great rear ABBAH hub. I have used it freeriding doing drops & torqueing on it hard.Never has let me down. Rims are good & pretty light.They aren't super knarly bombproof,but hold thier true fine.
I suposse some riders do 40 downhill runs a weekend somewhere & kill thier hubs eventually,but i have had no problem.

Dennis Romano   Weekend Warrior [Oct 13, 2003]
Strength:

Strong rims with a killer rear hub. Quick engagement on pedal stroke. Super smooth and efficient.

Rear hub failed

I love these wheels. I am 225 pounds and ride hard. The failure was a drag. I contacted SuperGo and received the run around from them. Finally, I faxed Sun. Their warranty guy, Tony, contacted me immediately. I sent in the rear wheel and received if repaired with a replacement rim at no cost. Talk about standing behind your product. I will continue to purchase their wheels from now on. Get customer support.

The wheelset is great. Fast, strong and repairable. For someone my weight this is the way to go.

Shame on SuperGo for playing games with their customers. I will not purchase a dam thing from them ever again.

Similar Products Used: XT and LX hubs
Forrest Arakawa   Downhiller [Jul 23, 2001]
Strength:

Lightweight. Great finish. Super strong.

NONE

This is a great wheelset for anyone racing Slalom or DH. They are a bit lighter than the Tomac wheels without sacrificing strength. I have the 12mm axle in the rear which makes my rear end super stiff. The front wheel has a 20mm through axle that attaches to my QR 20. This combo is great for Slalom and Dirt jumping. The wheels have not come out of true for the 6 months I've owned them. Many of the trails and courses I ride have really large drops and jumps that aren't easy to make. Sometimes I case the jumps super bad and the wheels just take it. Sun is always at the races or on the phone ready to support you if you have a question.

Similar Products Used: Mavic, WTB
Zach   Weekend Warrior [Dec 20, 2003]
Strength:

Great product. It lasted an entire year of heavy riding doing some 6 to 7 foot drops and I had to true the wheels like 3 ot 4 times and that was it. Very stiff.

Rear hub failed after one year. Weird buzzing sound from the hub takes some getting used to, cool when you're manualing though.

Awesome product that I would recommend to anyone. Other than the rear hub failing, the wheels are great and I'll be using Sun for years to come. They rock.

Similar Products Used: Mavic x223 wheels
Valentine   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2005]
Strength:

Look Cool

Weak rims, Troublesome Hub

I don't understand you people here. Everyone has problems with the rear hub and yet this wheelset is still rated 5.0??? Why do you people rate this trash so high? I have had to replace the pawls in the rear hub twice and now the whole thing just slips like a clutch!?! Seems like I cannot get the hub to last more than 6-8 mos. without rebuilding it. And Ringle did not send me pawls for free, they charged me everytime. I've had enough of rides gone bad and spoiled weekends from this product. My SUV's are going in the trash! My front hub, a 20mm thru axle, is also acting up and grinding can be felt. Meaning the bearings are shot. No more Ringle for me ever again.

Similar Products Used: Ringle R.P.M., XT/ Mavic317, XT/ Mavic517
Scott   Cross Country Rider [Oct 27, 2004]
Strength:

Solid wheel set. First thing I noticed was there was no give in the wheels on drops over 3 feet. Better cornering with the wider rim, tire did not feel like it was rolling off the side of the rim when cornering hard.

Rear hub was bad on first wheel set. When climbing I would get a loud popping noise from the hub. I found that the teeth that the pawls engaged into were miss cut. Sun-Ringle wanted me to ship it back to them at my cost. I returned it to SuperGo and they exchanged it with no questions. Also the first rear wheel was extremely loud when free wheeling; the new wheel is very quiet.

I shopped around a lot and did want to spend the money for the high end Mavics. Also most of the mech’s at both LBS recommended Sun Ringle over Mavic. From 1 to 10 I would give these wheels 9.5 I would have gave them a 10 if the rear hub had not been bad.

Similar Products Used: Non everyone else wanted twice the money for a wheel as strong as this one.
Ryan Simmons   Downhiller [Apr 20, 2006]
Strength:

Extremely durable, require little truing. Good looking wheelset, love the loud sound the freewheel makes as it eliminates the need for a bell when coming up on slower riders or hikers. Wider rim profile works well with 2.3" and wider tires and allows the rubber to sit more flush with the ground providing more traction.

I may have an odd freewheel, but Shimano cassettes do not fit flush and basically won't work with my wheel. No big deal as I'm a SRAM fan. Heavier than traditional XC wheels.

Great wheelset especially for the price. What you sacrifice in light rotational weight, you make up with in durability.

Similar Products Used: Nothing really matches up. Mavics are too weak for my body/riding style and tend to go out of tru quickly.
Larry   Racer [Sep 23, 2005]

I use these on an Intense Tracer which is probably overkill. I keep the drops under 3’ but I ride rocky, rooty muddy NE terrain. I’m pretty tough on wheels, however I’ve had these wheels for 3 years and never had them trued… As bomb proof as these wheels are- they are not too heavy. My only complaint is that I too blew a rear hub. The pedals just spun with no response from the rear wheel. My LBS sent the wheel back to Ringle and I had a new hub in a week or two- no charge.