Sun-Ringle 2001 Disc Jockey Wheelset

2001 Disc Jockey

For disc-specific cross country riding and racing. Benefits: super strong design, extremely light rotating weight improves acceleration and handling, niche specific, but extremely versatile, readily available high-end, quality components make for easy serviceability. Comes with wheelbag.

dm   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2002]
Strength:

Cool looks and very strong

not the lightest wheelset

Great wheelset for the money. I have about 500 miles on them and not had a problem. Very stiff,smooth bearings, and I have not had to true them at all. I would rather have a little extra weight and have something that you dont have to worry about and just ride.

Similar Products Used: bontrager mustang
Coby Melo   Cross Country Rider [May 08, 2006]
Strength:

Cheap. So far after around 1300 Kms. still true. Reasonable weight. Sealed cartridge bearings havent been touched.

None at this price.

I'm around 170 with gear and I've used these rims for over 1300 kms on all kinds of trails. I've used them on my hardtail and on my newer heckler riding aggressive xc with the occassional air. I've even gone downhill trails with these. Stairs and curbs too. They took the beating and kept on ticking. I love the distinctive sound of the ringle freehub.

I havent touched the pawls, freehub or tbe bearings yet.
No high pressure washes and no river crossings, which will destroy any hub.

I'm running them with stan's rim strips and they're even better.

I'm actually trying to beat the hell out of these so that I have an excuse to "upgrade", but somehow, they don't give up.

Similar Products Used: formula, Deore hubs, mavic 223 rims
sig   Cross Country Rider [Dec 02, 2003]
Strength:

price,sealed bearings,pretty stiff,not too heavy for price

finish on rims fades quickly, but their always dirty anyway

still straight after 2000+ miles. no maintenece has been done on these wheels and they still roll fine.they are straight and and and the hubs are still silent. they have been wet a lot and our trails have lots of roots and rocks.a good sturdy wheel at a good price

Similar Products Used: crossmax xl and sl
Bob Olsen   Cross Country Rider [Oct 02, 2003]
Strength:

Price and build

Ratchet and pawl system is worthless. Stripped 4 rear hubs in less than 6 months. Long walks out of the woods. Lots of down time. Warranty dept. friendly but,not effective

The old saying, "you get what you pay for" applies here If you are a heavier, stronger rider that applies high torque loads in tecnical ascents do not get these wheels.If you're a lighter rider on a budget, they should be okay. For the price you'd be better off getting some XT hubs w/ 317's

Similar Products Used: XT, XTR, Mavic,Hugi. Actually nothing is similar because I've never had anything fail so regularly.
Shawn Jimerson   Cross Country Rider [Apr 18, 2005]
Strength:

Inexpensive, reasonable wieght for the price

Original rear hub was shot after the first year, clearance of rear cassette on freehub body is tight (used a light coating of grease), pulling a tuve off the first couple of times was tough - I can do it with a kevlar tube and my bare hands faster now than it takes to get the lever out of my pack. <- That could be considered a strength, right?

A good serviceable set of wheels for the price. I also had a problem with the (first) rear freehub that has been reported. Got a new updated hub in a flash from customer service. Had it built by a LBS for $20 and a six pack. Had it trued once since the middle of last summer and it has run trouble free since.

Similar Products Used: None
Eric   Weekend Warrior [Mar 22, 2005]
Strength:

Quick hub engagement,looks good, sturdy

have not found any weaknesses

Basically they are very good disc wheels for any XC rider on a budget. My wheelset came with IRC Mythos tires which are what I would have bought anyway.

Tom   Cross Country Rider [Mar 14, 2005]
Strength:

Aside from the dumb stickers they look nice.

Quickly come untrue, which should be expected from an internet wheel, but they were assembled terribly. Missing dust cap set screw from front hub. Rear wheel ratchet lasted about five hundred miles.

Don't buy these. The only thing I've been as dissappointed with as these wheels has been the free irc tires that they came with. They're on the heavy side and I really wish this would have meant that they're durable as well. However, they're not.

Similar Products Used: shimano mavic combos
Tim   Cross Country Rider [Feb 10, 2005]
Strength:

Weight, Price, engagement

Almost too-tight tollerances, no bike shops seem familiar with Ringle products

Good price on some nice wheels. If you are moving to disc these perform better than your average entry-level disc wheels. They are strong dependable rims and the hub engagement is noticeably quicker. I had some clearance issues with the free hub/cassette. The original part had a very small defect which kept the free hub from sliding all the way onto the hub. Due to the tight spacing on ringle hubs, things just didn't work. I called ringle and had a new part in a week! That's service. If your like me 150lbs XC rider on a budget, these just might be for you. I have to admit that the racheting sound gives me a smile like a kid with cards in their spokes. knock off one flaming thingy for the initial set-up issue