Stans NoTubes ZTR Valor 29 Wheelset

Stans NoTubes ZTR Valor 29 Wheelset

The Valor features the first carbon rim with genuine NoTubes' Bead Socket Technology for tubeless use. Available with multiple axle options and an 11-speed XD driver option, the Valor features the 3.30Ti Disc hubs, 24/28 spoke pattern and individually reinforced spoke holes. The added rim width and lower sidewalls of NoTubes rims increase tire volume for less rolling resistance. Far from just another "carbon copy," the more precise and consistent manufacturing process developed for the carbon fiber rim of the Valor sets a new standard in tubeless technology and carbon fiber rim design.

[Dec 30, 2017]
Cayenne_Pepa
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

~ Snappy acceleration
~ 1336g wheelset weight
~ 28 Sapim Laser spokes, per wheel
~ Easily runs 29x2.4" tires

~ Neo hubs does not offer Shimano Centerlock Disc option
~ Mortgage payment pricing

My 2013 Easton EC90 XC rear wheel delaminated at the sidewalls one day, with a loud POW. Good thing I was off the bike, when this disaster occurred. I convinced Easton to back their product and immediately sold the warranty replacements on eBay. Thus, began the arduous task of finding a replacement carbon wheelset. I tried 38mm wide wheels, but was not impressed with the sluggish spin-up at all. After seven months' of demo wheelsets - I found the NoTubes ZTR Valor the winner.

The speed these wheels generate makes me giddy with joy. They punch thru steep, technical climbs in higher gears like you suddenly have bionic legs. Clearing log rolls no longer requires heaving-up at the bars: simply hit it with speed, pump and sail over the log like a boss. The wheels handled a recent Bike Park trip saying to me, "Is that all you got?" Yes, they are pricey.... but life's way too short to be rolling on Flintstone wheels. Get some...

Easton EC90 XC
SRAM Roam 60 29
Reynolds 29 Trail XC

[Oct 24, 2017]
Alex

Strength:

I got these primarily to reduce weight - lost 1.87 pounds total compared to the Rhythm Elite aluminum wheels they replaced. What surprised me is how DRAMATICALLY they improved the handling of the bike. Steering is crisper, cornering is much more stable, and climbing is easier. I now swoop downhill much faster than I used to. If I had known how much more fun carbon wheels are to ride I would have gotten them years ago. I got these at the recommendation of my local genius bike mechanic. I'm a small person and do not do jumps, etc., so he said these would be a good weight and price point given my riding habits.

Note: This weekend a larger, more aggressive rider broke a carbon wheel (different brand) when he jumped off a boulder. Got pretty banged up. He said there was no prior apparent damage to the wheel. So be sure you get a carbon wheel set strong enough for your weight and riding style and pay attention to tires, inflation, etc.

Ride is a teeny bit more jittery than the aluminum wheels, but not enough to compromise handling or cause discomfort on a long ride. A very small price to pay for such a big improvement in the fun factor.

If you are still riding aluminum cross country wheels, strongly consider switching to carbon. It was worth it for me! These are good value if they suit your riding style and weight.

Whole bunch of other aluminum wheels

[Oct 25, 2016]
Marcelo

Strength:

Price, weight, looks good!

Low tension, large disparity in spoke lengths, Very Very Flexy...

I got the TEAM VALOR with new NEO HUBS, had these wheels about 6 months and had over 3 to 4000 km on them. First I have to say the RIM quality looks good! I'm not sure how strong they are as the low tension (average 90kgf drive side and 35kgf non drive side) didn't impress me at all. In fact I think they are too flexy... Valor wheels are designed to have some flex in them, vertical specially. The fact that it helps smooth out harsh terrain it also compromises acceleration in my opinion.? Lateral flex is also quite noticeable. Had to rebuild the whole wheel to get some more stiffness but the max tension they suggested was 105kgf which is low compare to the average 120 to 130kgf from competitors. The hub quality on first impression looks good too but the bearing quality was really poor. I took them out and reinstall it but the body was too tight or I should say the bearing quality was so poor that it deforms the race track and did not allow the axle to spin freely so I had to change a better quality bearing to fix this problem. Also after a wet race the pawls developed rust and I used Phils waterproof grease. All I have to say is you pay for what you get. If you don't want to spend time dealing with these problems I'd suggest to look some other HIGH END CARBON WHEELSETS!

[May 13, 2015]
Marco

Strength:

Light weight, strong, looks, maintenance.

Hub engagement

These wheels have replaced my Roval control SL 29 on my Jet 9 RDO. I loved the Rovals but the pitch sound was annoying just a bit. they were still great and looked awesome. I decided to replace with the stans valor 29 and wow these wheels feel amazing. they are lighter on the scale, they feel like there is a space between the bike and the tires. the hub doesnt have the best engagement but I can live with that until they make something better. the acceleration is fantastic like there is no drag compared to other wheelsets that I have used like the I9 Torch, Crest, Arch. They are still but forgiving with plenty control. I recommend them if you can afford them.

I9 Torch, Roval control sl 2014 latest version, Arch and Crest.

[Mar 22, 2015]
Xterra_MTBR

Strength:

Weight, price, and availability

I looked at lots of carbon wheels for my 29er and ended up going with Valors based on a combination of weight, price, availability (other wheel sets were not in stock/available), and compatibility with existing set-up. These were replacements for my Scott Spark 29er Pro stock wheels (DT Swiss) and a Stan's Flow wheel. I dropped about 1.5 to 2 lbs total (front and back plus lighter SRAM cassette). I had them out for the first time this weekend - acceleration and uphills were easy, especially for an early season ride. I didn't notice any flex, rolled over obstacles without hesitation. My biggest problem is that my bike is now faster than my technical skills can handle (a problem I'll gladly work on!).

The guys at my LBS (NeboRidge.com) did the tubeless setup for me, said it was slick/easy. They've held air for a couple of weeks without any problems.