Stans NoTubes ZTR 355 650b Wheelset

Stans NoTubes ZTR 355 650b Wheelset

Rim Specs: Weight: 380-385g Rim Width: 24.4mm Drilling: 32 hole ERD: 564 ISO: 584 x 19 Braking: Rim Brake / Disc

[Dec 28, 2009]
ghawk

Strength:

Very light. Won't go into detail but at 170 lbs for the price these are great rims. That said, I would not build them for a guy much heavier. I can tru my own wheels so it was not a problem but it took a couple of times to keep them in tru. Now they rock as a super climbers ghetto tubeless rim. So, be aware of what another reviewer has said about these wheels. The are super light. Wish arch or flows came in 650b.

Great for a lightweight wheel build for a rider at about a weight limit of 170 lbs unless you build 3 x with brass nips and at least a dt comp straight gauge spoke.
For my racey xc Moj build they work well. If I build another set, will build them a little heavier next time.
Wonderful for tubeless applications.

OVERALL
[Jun 26, 2009]
DrHog

Strength:

Light weight, reasonable cost

Build quality, spokes

I was changing bikes from a light XC bike to a more all mtn bike, and wanted some light wheels to keep the bike in the 25-26 pound class. These wheels were on the demo bike, and they rode well, so I ordered them with the bike.

They are pretty light, but overall these have been a bad choice. I haven't had any trouble with the hubs (yet), but they don't look very substantial. What went wrong, almost immediately, was trueness and spoke tension. I've had them back to the shop 4-5 times for trueing, and each time the spokes loosen within 1 or 2 rides. I have also broken 1 spoke. I think this is just a case of poor initial wheelbuilding that allowed the wheel to loosen and come out of true so quickly. This was echoed by the mechanic at the LBS where I bought them.

I am 200 pounds and ride rough AZ terrain, but no freeriding or hucks. Ideal rider for these would be lighter than me and ride in smoother terrain. Consider using them for races only. Recommend having a good wheelbuilder retension the whole wheel before you ever turn your first mile.