Spinergy Xyclone Enduro Wheelset

Spinergy Xyclone Enduro Wheelset

The Spinergy Xyclone Enduro wheels are built with the newest PBO spokes, this wheelset is perfect for the rider who feels the need to follow the path less traveled and is ideal for Enduro and All-Mountain riding.

[Nov 22, 2016]
Simon
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

stiffness/rigidity, light weight, unusual look

a bit expensive (quality is not for free), need to control spokes tension regularly

I have Xyclone Enduro on my Santa Cruz Nomad for 4 years (Second hand wheelset). These wheels give you a sensation of lightness when climbing and their rigidity (and lightness) give you a perfect control of steering. Solid handling on winding singletracks and easy jump on every bump.
I ride very rocky trails (all mountain/enduro) and they resist everything.
I regret : 1- the marks from the cassette on the free freehub. But it works and in 4 years, I didn’t change the freehub, 2- the relative weakness of the pawls maintaining spring. But again, I changed it once in 4 years after one year of riding with half a cm of the spring missing, (if the chain doesn't run back smoothly when you backpedal, a broken spring can be the cause). 3- only one distributor in France for wheels and parts (parts often out of stock).
I heard for riders saying these wheels were not resistant but I think they didn’t check spokes regularly or used them for freeride or hard downhill. If you want to ride engaged XC, all mountain or enduro, Xyclone enduro are great wheels.

[Feb 24, 2015]
Dave Biddle
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

The Wheels Are Light weight, They Are Strong, They look Good, They Ride Nice, The Wheels Stay True, Great Customer Service

A Bit Of Play In The Rear Hub.

I have been running these wheels for 2 years now and could not be happier. No broken spokes, no wobbly wheels after a hard ride. I am 170 lbs running tubeless, 28lbs in the rear and 23 lbs in the front with 2.35 Maxxis Hi Roller's front and rear and have had no issues. Even dented my rim on a poor bunny hop over a curb and they still hold air and work great. Last but Not Least . . . These wheels add some well deserved Bling to your bike!! Look around at the wheels on the bikes around you. They are all pretty much the same, boring actually. Remenber what a cool set of wheels did for your car when you were a kid? Yeah thats what I am saying. These wheels look super and perform great. Buy some, you wont look back :-)

[Sep 09, 2014]
George Piccini

Strength:

Looks strength costumer service

Freehub grooving

Great wheelset. I have had 3 spinergy wheelset a and have been happy with all. The freehubs do grove quickly and cassette removal is a pain. Joe in costumer service is the best and has helped me out more then a few times. He is one reason I still run the wheels. It would be great if they upgraded to a tubeless wheel.

[Aug 22, 2014]
jp
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

bomber wheels that are fast and can handle more than I can

have had spokes break where crossed on my old set of xyclone disc (the wheel set was 8 years old) but have excellent service through spinergy to get them fixed and upgrade to the enduro wheels

just got my endure wheel and headin up to the Yukon to ride this next week. if they are anything like my old xyclone discs I will be in for a fast ride with a lot of vertical drop that I know the wheels will handle. these wheels would be great for all mountain rides and steep rocky descents. I would not do any big drops with them however. Joe at spinergy was great to work with and took great care of my wheels. hope to get the fall line wheels someday to try out on my downhill bike

[Jul 17, 2014]
Hamish Southcott

Strength:

Super strong spokes, very stiff ride, good customer service

Rear axle keeps wearing out causing chain to loose tension

These are great all round wheels, however I keep having issues with the rear axle wearing out. This could be down to user error so I'm now ensuring that I follow the
manufactures maintenance instructions and since the last axle was replaced everything is working well. I wasn't initially supplied with these details so it would have
been good to get them at the start.

[May 21, 2011]
Suncutty

Strength:

Nice hubs with positive engagement, great looking, vibration dampening, quiet, great customer service by spinergy.

A tad flexy, spokes come loose, narrower than claimed, pain in the butt to true particularly with tubeless, proprietary spokes and truing tools.

I bought these wheels because they were a good price on ebay and looked the biz with my white carbon nomad. The ride quality of these wheels was excellent initially as the pbo spokes combined with a carbon frame really dampened the ride. The wheels are a bit flexier than other offerings as the spoke tension is relatively low at spinergy spec. I immediately had spokes start coming loose after a few rides. Sent it back to spinergy on warranty and they were good about it but only re-tensioned and loc-tited the offending spokes. It happened again shortly after and this time they rebuilt the whole wheel with a new rim and set of spokes. Those two experiences were enough to sour my confidence in them and promptly sold them. During that time I also threw a caliper on the rim and it measures 24.3mm rather than the 26mm they claim. I was initially in the market for a 28mm wheelset and 26 was already a compromise, 24 was a major disappointment to discover. I also like to run tubeless and the prospect of pulling out a rim strip every time a slight true is required did not appeal either. If spinergy updated these wheels with a wider rim and fixed the spoke problems these would be a solid wheelset. I just don't see how they can be competitive with some of the other wider, lighter offerings available now. Customer service was however excellent. These wheels would be good for someone looking for a more robust xc/trail wheelset with no intention of running a tire > 2.25"

Easton haven

[Sep 17, 2009]
Trooper2
Downhiller

Strength:

light, cool technology, good rims, cool looking

high maintenance, weak freehub

Super slick looking wheelset - light and strong rim but hub is weak link. They come from the factory with low tension on the spokes, and recommend 20 & 22 in/lbs for tourque before you ride. They also recommend using PURPLE lock tight on the nipple threads or they WILL back out and loosen. Make sure you do this right the first time or you have to pull the tire and rim tape every time you need to tighten a spoke. Not a big deal if you follow factory instructions & do it right the first time. Kind of a lot of cash to drop on a wheelset that sacrifices strentgh to be light.

After about 9 months (with 3 months of winter in there) I grenaded the rear hub on a burst climb up a technical spot. When I got the thing apart, the freehub body where the pawls mount was in pieces inside the ratchet ring. All the damage was limited to the freehub body and I was able to replace that through Spinergy without sending the whole wheel back. This may never be a problem for lighter riders, but the materials used in the hub is all aluminum and had major wear marks from the casette on the outside and the rachet ring on the inside which are both steel. Interfacing steel and aluminum is asking for trouble in my opinion and is prone to failure.

spinergy spox

[Aug 13, 2009]
deine_omi

Strength:

light, strong, good looking

come out of true easily

First I was impressed by the stiffness of the wheels. Pedaling became more effective compared to my old wheelset (SunEQ27). After going over high steps several times two spokes of my back wheel loosened so much that they completely fell out of the rim. I gave the wheel for trueing and was happy again for another 6 months until it happened again. I was asking www.bike-mailorder.de for a solution but they were really unfriendly and claimed i broke them (made me more unhappy). The distributor in europe is not helpful at all. Further i tried to buy replacement spokes for my next alpX and had trouble to find resellers in europe. in the end i imported them from u.s. -- When they work - they are a decent wheelset, however support and maintenance is not worth the high price - Go for dt swiss ex 1750 if u want superb quality and easy maintenance. Just imagine, everytime you want to true the wheels you have to disassemble the tire, tubing and the rimtape! Ridiculous

[Nov 11, 2008]
mitchelsan

Strength:

Tough Wheels, Looks the part, No Side Flex, Climbs Great, Hadley Hubs

Cassete Spacing needed, if using Shimano XT'S, No replacements spokes with wheels

I've had my eyes on these wheels from quite some time now, originally I got into the P..plite for there Bombproof qualities but in an all mountian rig the extra weight penalty was very clear in the uphills. So I went back to the drawing board as to what would give me the best of both worlds Check out quite a few wheels and finally decided on spinergy wheels and did not get dissapointed at all. Altough I took them out for the inagural thrashing to see how they would hold out and passed with ease, very fast wheels, light, good response and gets you where you want to go and fast. If you are looking for a set a fast trail/all mountian set up without having to commit to heavy DH/Freeride rims this is you're ticket. Thanks for the last review because I faced the same chalange with the XT Cassette which I changed the cassette over to a Sram Red cassete with no problems whatsoever on spacing...

Atomlab P..mLite, Mavic Crosstrail, Mavic Crossland

[Oct 02, 2008]
TrailMan

Strength:

Weight - Strength - Look - HADLEY FREEHUB -

*** SHIMANO XT CASSETTE DOES NOT FIT WITHOUT SPACER *** Customer Service - Speedo Magnet

I am impressed with the performance of this wheelset. They are very robust and fairly light. The sealed cartridge bearings roll beautifully and the Hardley freehub engages positivley and has a quality sound. My problem with this product began when I tried to mount my XT 11-32 cassette. When I installed it and tighened down the locking ring the inside of the cassette was making contact with the hub. Next I tried my XT 11-34 cassette from last season. It fit but loosely allowing it to rock on the freehub. I contacted Kim's and they suggested a 1mm spacer. I got the spacer free from my lbs and installed it and I can now use either cassette. I contacted Spinergy cs,described the problem,and suggested that they include the spacer,and inquired about a source for a magnet to fit the super-size spokes. I was received with an incomplete reply and arrogance on the first try and a more complete slightly less arrogant reply on my second try.
****BOTTOM LINE --- Great Wheelset but if you use SHIMANO XT CASSETTES you may require a 1mm SPACER****

Mavic 317 with XT hubs