Spinergy Xyclone Disc Wheelset

Spinergy Xyclone Disc Wheelset

Spinergy Xyclone Disc Wheelset. Wheels made with Custom US made alloy freehub with vacuum seal CNC machined hubs, with sealed cartridge bearings for minimal rolling resistance. 6 bolt international standard pattern for disc mounting Light weight alloy

[Feb 22, 2018]
ReTroAcTive318

Strength:

My Spinergy Xyclone are the lightest toughest wheel I've ever owned, and that's a lot of wheels in 25 years of MTB's. The bonus of Spinergy wheels, besides the other benefites, is that the wheel spokes come in various colors, making it that much easier to customize your bike.

I've only had my wheelset for a few months. But the one thing that I think would be a negative is if I need to have them trued, I would need to find a shop that can service them or I would have to send them to Spinergy for service.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2014
[Jul 27, 2017]
Benny Cochran
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

All around great

none....

Service from Spinergy is awesome....Have had the Xyclone wheel sets since 2005 and had not had one problem...not even needing to true them the entire time til recently the clip holding the dogs in the free hub finally snapped...never even serviced them the entire time...but Spinergy was quick to get me a new clip and dogs for free....awesome service...

[Feb 16, 2017]
rcopith

Strength:

lightweight, durable as hell, cool looking (like the colors), great equilibrium

none so far

I picked up a set of Spinergy Xyclone 29" wheels last season, very impressed! They are really light and fast, super strong. I have been using them for racing and training on the front range here in Colorado. Best way to describe them would be "bullet proof" as they have endured considerable abuse.

They look really cool as well, the spokes come in different colors.

I have tried many different wheels, sticking with these as I did not like the stock wheels that came with my bike. Just a quick plug as this is a company that is doing great things in this industry. If you are looking for a lightweight bomber wheel, would recommend giving Spinergy a shot!

[Nov 22, 2016]
Simon
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

stiffness/rigidity, light weight, nice unusual look

a bit expensive (quality is not for free), need to control spokes tension regularly

I have Xyclone Enduro on my Santa Cruz Nomad for 4 years. These wheels give you a sensation of lightness when climbing and their rigidity (and lightness) give you a perfect control of steering. Solid handling on winding singletracks and easy jump on every bump.
I ride very rocky trails (all mountain/enduro) and they resist everything.
I regret : 1- the marks from the cassette on the free freehub. But it works and in 4 years, I didn’t change the freehub, 2- the relative weakness of the pawls maintaining spring. But again, I changed it once in 4 years after one year of riding with half a cm of the spring missing, (if the chain doesn't run back smoothly when you backpedal, a broken spring can be the cause). 3- only one distributor in France for wheels and parts (parts often out of stock).
I heard for riders saying these wheels were not resistant but I think they didn’t check spokes regularly (risk of hub breakage) or used them for freeride or hard downhill. If you want to ride engaged XC, all mountain or enduro, Xyclone enduro are great wheels.

Mavic Crossmax SLR

[May 15, 2016]
guy

Strength:

durable and reliable , lightweight,stiff, strong, awesome customer service!

none yet.

never had to true them. can't really explain but the just feel good.
just love those wheels!

[Apr 20, 2016]
Adam

Strength:

I originally bought these wheels in 2003, had a hub failure a couple months ago....pretty good life..13 years. Couldn't buy the part because wheel was too old. Joe at spinergy hooked me up in a big way. Not only do these wheels stay trew, but they're light as hell and strong. Weather I'm riding road or dirt..I'll be rolling on spinergy wheels, if for no other reason than the absolutely kick ass customer support...thanks again Joe...so glad to be rolling again

Zero....you can't go wrong with customer service like these guys have

These wheels kick ass, stay true, and look great

[Dec 13, 2015]
bikndc

Strength:

They are light and strong. They have only needed to be trued 3 times in 10 years!

None really....

I've had my wheels for 10 years and they are still great! Just had an issue with the axle and Joe at Spinergy was awesome in helping me resolve the issue! I want to say thanks to him and keep up the great customer service!

[Dec 06, 2014]
kingaucho

Strength:

They look great, pretty light, very low maintenance, excellent Spinergy customer service.

The rim is pretty narrow, so it may be tough to run them tubeless safely. I put 2 layers of tape and higher up on the side of the rim, but still had no luck.

I have had these rims for a little over a year and have close to 2000 miles on them and have been very happy. They look awesome, very low maintenance (have not had to true them), the fiber dampens the ride, etc. The only drawback to me is that I could not run them tubeless without worrying that the tires would burp. The guys at Spinergy are great to deal with. Pretty sure I will be buying another set of Xyclones for a hardtail project I plan on starting soon,

[Aug 20, 2014]
zydecobro

Strength:

Light..aggressive look..strong..easy change axle sizes without having to replace hubs

Being that the 27.5 industry is predominantly all mountain..Spinergy needs to put an (all-mountain rim/wider rim) in their lineup the problem im having with 2.3 or 2.4 wide tires with low pressure ill get extreme tire roll..i know the easy fix is to run high tire pressure well if thats the case then this throws out fine tuning your ride when it comes to those vital seconds in racing where tires pressure is key..Schwalbe suggest running 23-28 psi on their 2.3-2.4 tires for optimal performance
it wont work on these wheels youll get really bad tire roll going into jumps or coming off a jump youll find yourself over correcting and thats not good same applies to tight turns

Bottom line is i have always owned Spinergy wheels 26ers 29ers and now 27.5 cause they are very strong and last
not to mention they look good and when you look good you feel good and when you feel good you ride good
but PLEASE make a 27.5 all mountain wider rim wheelset Spinergy ???

[Jun 05, 2014]
FastXR

Strength:

Super light, look great, stay true, hubs convertible to different axle sizes, work great tubeless and awesome after sales support!

I haven't found any yet.

I bought these wheels on a whim for a great price at a bike show, the dealer selling them highly recommended them and I was looking for a nice light weight XC wheel and the Spinergy Xyclone Disc fit the bill perfectly and the price was right so I gave them a shot.

In between the time I purchased these wheels which were setup with the standard QR axles I ended up building a new MTB which had a 15QR axle on the fork so without a conversion I wouldn't be able to use the wheels. So I contacted Joe at Spinergy and he replied quickly and hooked me up with everything I needed to convert to the new axle. Truly a class act and really great guy, I have emailed back and forth with him numerous times!

So now I have the wheels setup running tubeless (which was super easy to do) with 1.95 Kenda Nevegal Lite front and rear and have been riding with this setup from the beginning of the season with zero issues from the wheels. They are stiff and light, the free hub has great engagement and the PBO spokes are really strong as I've had numerous sticks kicked up into my rear spokes and they just sliced right thru them with out issue. Basically an all round great wheelset at a great price with great support, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another set!

WTB SX24