Spinergy Roks 98 Wheelset

Roks 98

Spinergy Roks 98

CCVIRAGO   Cross Country Rider [Sep 08, 2009]
Strength:

I bought these wheels in 1998. In 11 years I have only broken one spoke nipple! I took it to my LBS and they gave me a similar nipple which I had to file down a bit to fit. Now its September 2009 and these wheels are as true as they day I bought them, and they have never been apart or serviced. I abused them quite a bit in the first few years I had them, doing a lot of jumps and drop offs. Now I take care of them because I know I could not replace them or get them serviced. It's a shame because these are beautiful wheels. Just the attention they get from everyone was worth the price. They are flashy :)

They were expensive!

I really don't understand the people who claim these wheels are problematic. I think they must have seriously abused their wheels to have had such problems with them. If you're doing six foot drops like this one guy wrote, then what do you expect? If you pay huge money for anything, you have to take care of it.

Similar Products Used: Nothing compared to this.
Ed Ergun   Weekend Warrior [Aug 06, 2009]
Strength:

Good Looking, long lasting.

Spare Parts

I love them, but have broken one threaded screw in one of the spokes. I would love to purchase a new spoke or just the screw and head. Anyone that could help please let me know. ed_ergun@yahoo.ca

TC   Weekend Warrior [Apr 09, 1999]
Strength:

looks, truability

frequent truing, heavy

OK, I fell for the cool looking composite wheel syndrome. They are good looking, and they have'nt blown up or broke---but you'd better be knowledgeable enough mechanically to true them freqently or pay someone for it. I've also come to the conclusion that it just does'nt make sense to spend $500 on a set of wheels this heavy--you still have to pedal the bike up hills. Stay with an XTR/517 Mavic 895 gram rear wheel, and someone else's 675-730 gram front wheel--like Cane Creek or Mavic. The XTR/Mavic combo is the best for the money out there. The 6-blade Spinergy is not a bad wheel, but I've learned my lesson.

Similar Products Used: no composites, just XTR/Mavics(bulletproof)
Dr. Tim   Weekend Warrior [Apr 08, 1999]
Strength:

Remain true, aerodynamic, look bitchin'

Broke when going 1/2 mph over rock

Spin blows...buy something else...money better spent. Suggest spoked wheels by any other name. In the market for a strong set of wheels...E-me.

Similar Products Used: Spin
BOB   Weekend Warrior [Apr 10, 1999]
Strength:

Heavy. (stability on descents), haven't needed to true them yet(I'm light), smooth ride.

Heavy. (sucks on climbs), brakes catch on welds, made in Mexico(!?!?!?)

If you're a lightweight like me (124 lbs.) these wheels kick ass, but I live in fear of ever breaking them.(knock on wood):)

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Vantage Comp rims/Suntour hubs (lasted over 5 years)
Thor   cross-country rider [Sep 25, 1998]

I have bought it at summer and I have used it for a while (more than 200 km). No problem occurs. So I feel happy from buying this in Hong Kong by US$450! It is very worthly! Even the colour of my sticker at the rear, right side, removed a little bit...

Rob   cross-country rider [Sep 23, 1998]

These Spinergy Roks XE's suck big time. In two months I've had to tighten the spokes on my rear wheel already twice. (The inexpensive original rims that came with my bike have lasted for 2 years without any serious maintenance, and they are still OK) For a supposedly low maintenance wheel, the Roks XE's are an incredible amount of work, since you have to remove your tire and rim liner before you can tighten the spokes. They still creak and groan and clatter. Rims are cheaply made too. Seams! Worst of all, is the complete lack of any support by Spinergy. There is a complete lack of interest altogether. Virtually impossible to get through to them. All in all I am extremely disappointed with these wheels, no, absolutely disgusted is a better description. If it was possible to rate them a zero I would. DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP!!!

Justin   cross-country rider [Sep 24, 1998]

STILL WAITING, I cannot believe this Company, or is it a company? I had some friends go to the bike show in Las Vagas a couple weeks ago. They 'talked' with Spinergy (if anyone has ever had to deal with Spinergy they know this is very rare) They are no longer making these wheels. After one year they have dropped them all together from what the guy at the booth said. Hmmm... I wonder if these wheels had some serious problem??? The people at Spinergy would never let you know there is. I have never had to deal with a more shitty company in my life. I am now coming up on three months of calling, complaining, yelling...will they ever simply send another spoke half?? I don't know...If people would give me other sites that have reviews on them please e-mail the addresses to me (jfetters@worldnet.att.net) I would like to post a review to as many places as I can. Just looking after my fellow MTBers. Where is the zero rating??

Misha Sakellaropoulo   cross-country rider [Sep 21, 1998]

Wow, it sure seems like these wheels are getting mixed reviews...
I purchased the rear XE wheel a few months ago after beating the shit out of Mavic 217 w/ XT Hub combination (my second wheelset in a year, I beat the shit out of some Sun CR-18 w/ LX hubs a year ago). Anyway, I purchased the wheel for a few reasons:
a) strength
b) need truing less often
c) looks
The rear wheel has held up pretty well, I must say. I've given it quite a beating and it still rides like a dream. No damage anywhere, and I've only had them trued once (which they recommend after riding them a bit). It's definately a solid wheel... I totally biffed on this 5' drop off (I ride a hard tail) and landed at a horrible angle but the wheel was fine... I was definately impressed. I've since ordered the front wheel (I'm still running my 217/XT front) and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I'm 140 pounds and these wheels are great for my aggressive downhill action and the jumps/drop offs that I do. The only thing that bugs me is the weight, but what's a pound really matter?

Bobby   [Mar 27, 1998]

Having been using the spinergy's for the last 3 months. Found them very good.
Not as hard riding as the spins wheels. The blades came loose after a couple of weeks riding but once tension been fine since then. Good wheels to hammer on the rough stuff. The weight of the wheels dont bother me at all, not much difference to a standard set of wheels anyway.