Specialized Roval Controle XC Race Disc Wheelset

Specialized Roval Controle XC Race Disc Wheelset

• E5 alloy lightweight disc rim
  • DT revolution 2.0/1.5/2.0mm round spokes
  • DT hexagonal pro lock alloy nipples
  • Roval Titanium quick releases

[Mar 27, 2011]
Veda

Strength:

Strong, stiff (endcaps), DT Swiss 240 hub + spokes, hella light @ 1480gr a set.

Cheap sticker decals if paying full price which I didn't. DT Swiss hubs develop clicking noise after first usage. Doesn't bother me but knowing the problems associated with 240 hubs in general isn't reassuring. Doesn't roll as free as Fulcrum + Easton hubs.

With 24/28mm endcaps if you're using Rockshox or Fox fork greatly enhances stiffness up front. For the price I paid for brand new this is a steal, otherwise I'd go for the true UST but heavier Easton EA90 XC that's far more detailed without the stickers and has a faster hub. Long term reliability is unknown yet as I've been using these for 3 months only but so far so good. The Toro 2.15 tubeless ready tires don't lose air even with minimal sealant. All in all, the perfect wheelset for the price I paid.

Fulcrum, Easton, Mavic wheelsets

[Dec 29, 2009]
Tzvia

Strength:

Lightweight, rear isn't too noisy. They have a bit of 'compliance' that I would not call too flexy, as I only weigh 150lbs all suited up. They really feel fast; I have the SW 2.0 Captain in back, and 2.3 Control Eskar up front and find it all works well together. Setting it up tubeless was cake, and makes it feel faster. It's a good wheelset for lighter riders and XC racers.

Compared to my other wheelset (BWW Scandium, 32/32 spoke CX-Ray, BWW hub) they feel more flexy but at my weight it's not really bad. But I can feel the slight flex. If I ride more technical trails, I switch to my BWW wheelset which feels stiffer, possibly due to spoke count(??). I guess it would be more of a weakness to heavier riders. And that's the weakness, this is not a one size fits all wheelset.

It's all quality; DT hub internals, DT Spokes, Spec E5 Tubeless ready rims. I would not actually buy these, but as they came on the bike I bought, I thought I would try them. While not as stiff feeling as my Scandium wheelset (though they almost weigh the same), the slight flex actually feels ok for me. Setting it up tubeless was easy with a floorpump and they haven't burped at all. But in this price range one could put together a really nice wheelset going custom, as I did when I ordered the scandium set from BWW, so I am not quite sure where a wheelset like this would fit in as an aftermarket purchase. But if it comes on the bike, as it did for me, and it fits your riding style and body size, you won't have to upgrade it. Just be realistic before buying something this lightweight to put on a mountainbike.

BWW Scandium wheelset, Mavic Crossmax, Easton XC-One, WTB laserdisc light.

[Sep 22, 2008]
forjness

Strength:

These wheels are super lightweight and are perfect for racing, competitive XC riding, and XC riding in general. I was most impressed with the quality of the hubs as they are buttery smooth. These are nicer than any other stock XC hub out there in my opinion. I like Ksyriums, but these wheels roll faster than Mavics--hands down.

The tubeless aspect is like using a Stans rim or something like it. You have to use rim tape. This means that you have to replace the rim-tape every once in a while (if you are changing tires often and mess up the tape). But, this helps to make the wheels stinkin light, so is that really a weakness??

This is a top-notch wheelset, and I am very impressed with them. After hammering on these wheels for a season, they required little maintenance. The DT swiss insides of hubs are as nice as it gets for ride quality. These wheels roll longer and faster than almost anything out there (I suppose a DT 190 ceramic bearing would top--but not by much). Stiffness was no issue for me on this set. The spoke design was plenty stiff when accelerating. I am 150 lbs and I beat the crap out of these wheels. These are freakin sweet. If you are a heavier rider, you should check out the Traversee wheel as they may add a little more beefiness and versatility for other ride styles (different axle configurations). Get these wheels if you like going fast and want super light wheels!!

Many Mavics/Stans/Roval/DT Swiss/

[Aug 30, 2008]
fredjjjj

Strength:

Extremely lightweight.

Front wheel (8+16 spokes asymmetric) not strong enough for
hard x-country. Difficult to true.

Rear wheel (12+12 spokes) seems ok, but the front
wheel with asymmetric spokes is too weak, flexy, and difficult to true. It's ok for light cross country (Epic), but I had to replace with XTR on the Stumpjumper and am
also using the same on the Epic for rugged x-country trails.

Mavic 717, 819, Roval Traversee, 2008 XTR.

[Jun 07, 2008]
A-Hol

Strength:

Scary light

Scary light, rather expensive new ($830 MRSP)

Fantastic wheelset for racing (DT hubs prove quality build). I am a little disappointed I could not get Specialized 2Bliss tires to seal w/just the blue tape and sealant (like Specialized claim they would). Rear Captain tire kept burping. Decided not to get UST tires.

Ended up running Stans Olympic strips and Kenda SB8s on the rear and Nevegals on the front. Finally got them to seal and they are holding air fine.

We'll see how they hold up to racing and my 190 lbs. I've got my trusty FSA's ready to go if there's a problem.

FSA XC-300

[Jan 20, 2008]
Sammy Rutherford

Strength:

Super light 1400 grams! Quick handling. Ceramic bearings in front hub.

Tend to be a bit flexy; especially with heavier riders. Heavier/Aggresive riders may find them hard to stay in true.

A nice super light wheelset to race on; especially if you're under 150lbs. Otherwise, you'd come out better in the long run stepping up to a stronger more stable wheelset like Mavic CrossMax SL. That's what I did.

Mavic CrossMax SL, Mavic 817, Mavic CrossLand, Shimano XTR, Spinergy, Spin