Specialized Roval Controle SL XC Disc Wheelset

Roval Controle SL XC Disc

• E5 alloy lightweight disc rim with eyelets
  • Front hub: carbon fiber center tube, oversized axle
  • Rear hub: CNC-machined alloy body
  • Front: 24 spoke DoubleDrive pattern
  • Rear: 28 spoke 3x pattern supports disc

djbproductions   Cross Country Rider [Feb 24, 2012]
Strength:

Lightweight and look lovely

The skewers could be better as I find they dont close well and I have to keep retightening, something I never have to do with Hope or XTR skewers.

I love the wheelset and will try and purchase another shortly as they are the best set I have ever owned. They suit my riding style which is mainly cross country with few jumps, etc plus my regular 5 day a week commute to work which is 30km round trip. Mainly keep my Specialized Fast Track LK tyres on them and they roll fast to say the least.

Similar Products Used: DT Swiss 4.2d rims on 340 hubs, Mavic xc717 rims on XTR hubs
MagistR   Cross Country Rider [Dec 19, 2011]
Strength:

Low weight, very good acceleration, pretty wheelset

Hard found parts, expensive=)

It`s review about Rovals 2008 model year (as a picture above).
After reading reviews on mtbr.com at buying wheelset, I`m immediately perchased front bearings on e-bay, but they really not useful for me, yet (I ride this season approx. 2000 - 3000 km). Front bearings haven`t any damage, noise etc. and works properly, but I`m not heavy (~ 70 kg).
Amazing acceleration & good rolling these wheels allowed increase my average speed (at the same road) approx. on 5 km/h.
I`ve only one weakness - hard to find parts, spokes for example. When I broke spoke on rear wheel (mechanical damage, not manufacturer reason), I`m looked for & wait spoke about month=(
Recommend to have second weelset or bike for enjoy riding!

Similar Products Used: Mavic 717 + XT 765 hubs + DT Comp
milburn   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2011]
Strength:

Extremely Light Weight, Extremely Srong, Track Perfectly,Confidence Inspiring, Climbs All Day long, I weigh 195lbs,

Haters Envy Me. Sorry but at age 54 I just really wanted to treat myself to a stellar wheelset

Like the review I just read about the ENVE wheelset in MBAction "It feels like you are cheating" is the description for ths wheelset. I can climb stuff I never climbed before in High gears that I never rode in before. Love Love Love Love Love Love Love this wheelset. When I am not riding my bike all I think about is riding my bike on my Roval wheelset. My fiance is getting jealous of my Roval wheelset. If you can pull the money together then run don't walk and buy these wheels. No matter what level you are at, you will be propelled to the next level.

Similar Products Used: Mavic SLR Disc, Spinergy
XC_Germany   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2010]
Strength:

Fast, very good acceleration, very light, reliable for far, not too rigid,

pricy

I did use it now for over 1000mls in off road conditions and it has shown so far excellent peformance and reliability (no malfunction, no noise, still turns smothly like at the first day). Impressive is the ability of acceleration on climbing. I'm not heavy (165lb) and I have not used it in heavy duty down hills. I guess this wheels are not made for this anyhow. It is an excellent XC and All Mountain wheelset for not to heavy enviroments.

Similar Products Used: DT-Swiss XT1600
24hrsordie   Racer [May 27, 2010]
Strength:

Stiff, spin up fast and tires seem to seal well to the rims (specialized, schwable rocket ron's and wtb.

spoke nipple are very difficult to turn when truing

For a wheelset that weighs less than my road wheels they do remarkably well. In my 200lb world they track well, climb without that "loaded spring" sensation and have no issue with the bearings. The rear hub accepts the new DT swiss 36pt SL engagment upgrade making the rear hub engage twice as fast.

These are treated as "race wheels" therefore I do not train on them, but after a 1,000 miles they are holding together very well and trued only once.

Similar Products Used: crossmax, shimano xt, industry nine
MoHo   Cross Country Rider [May 11, 2010]
Strength:

Light, good looking

Bearings on front wheel is crap! Like the otheres here, I have barely used the wheels, less than 200 km, and now I have to replace them. And, because it is an odd size/quality,my shop have to order them from Netherland. Time and money!! And tomorrow my plan was to enter a race here.... :-(

This is not good enough, for a costly wheelset like this.

Similar Products Used: Crossmax SL
SweatyYeti   Cross Country Rider [Feb 15, 2009]
Strength:

Low weight
Look cool
Tubeless ready

same exact problem as described by another poster, front bearings have gone bad after only 200 miles, this is completely unacceptable

I will bring the wheel to LBS, for fix, but it just seems like this is a design problem, not very confident in these wheels. This is a brand new Epic S-works that I paid $8 k for and the front wheel is bad already!!!

wjones6   Cross Country Rider [Jan 24, 2009]
Strength:

very light and roll very very fast

front hub bearings

waiting to have 2nd set of bearings to be changed on front wheel very disappointing, lbs been brilliant if no improvment going to ask them to change to mavic slr where r&d has been done. if they iron problem out they are a fantastic set of wheels