Shimano XTR WH-M970 Wheelset

XTR WH-M970

• 1525g super light V-Brake wheel set
  • Balanced spoke pattern for increased lateral stiffness
  • Scandium alloy rim
  • Ultra thin wall rim with reinforced spoke holes
  • Tubeless & tube tire compatible

woodthegreat   Cross Country Rider [Sep 03, 2010]
Strength:

LIGHT, the bearings allow these wheels to spin almost forever.

Price. But I got what I paid for.

Wheels are the most important upgrade you can make to a bike in my opinion due to the high rotating mass. I love these wheels. I would normally complete a decent local climb in about 30mins. My first time out with these wheels I was up in about 23 minutes. Maybe it was a placebo effect, maybe I was having a good day, maybe I got into a bit better shape in 7 days (?). All I know is that I saw an objective performance increase on the time it took me to climb this hill. The set is ~3 lbs lighter than my old wheels.

I have yet to have a maintenance issue with these wheels. I'm 127lbs on a cross country bike, so I'm not punishing my gear but I have flown off a few mountain sides and went over the handle bars once and these wheels have stayed true.

Until these break [and I'll try to update on here if they do] I'm reluctant to try a different set of wheels.

Buy these if you want light cross country wheels with bearings that seem to spin forever. Don't buy these if your a downhill bruiser, that's not what their meant for.

I love them. I would marry them.

Similar Products Used: Mountain Sport wheels that came on a budget build of my Racer X.
john   Cross Country Rider [Feb 03, 2010]
Strength:

Light

Tubless ready - UST work well with rim

Flexy - broke spokes and put on old pair of CK w/Mavic rims & noticed XTR had much more flex.

Spokes have been breaking on rear wheel (x5 last fall) - mostly ride x-country. spokes are light but thin. Expensive to repair @ $14 per spoke. Requires "hub nut" ($1) as well, which makes more complicated to fix and get parts.

Engagement slow compared to Chris King

Not a reliable wheelset. Expensive (retail) for what you get. Proprietary spokes are expensive and require special order (sometimes). Over-engineered spokes and hub. Look to other wheels.

I also have the similar wheel for road (Dura Ace wh 7850sl), but the road wheels are solid and have heavier spokes.

Similar Products Used: Variety of wheels - xt, mavic, older xtr,
Mountain Jam   Racer [Apr 21, 2009]
Strength:

Lightweight Racing Wheelset

Does not engage as quickly as I had hoped, not very durable when used as primary wheelset.

Great lightweight wheel, if you're looking for quicker hub engagement or more durable wheelset look elsewhere.

Similar Products Used: Chris King classics laced with DT revolution spokes to DT 4.1 rims,
Bontrager Race Modified
Dave Gilbert   Cross Country Rider [Feb 10, 2009]
Strength:

Light weight

Have broken 4 spokes in the back wheel in 12 mths, One was from a stick which is fair enough but the others should not have failed IMO.

Light wheelset but IMO fragile spokes on the XTR version. I do not do anything excessive normal XC and have never had this sort of problem with other wheelsets. Other riders in my group have the Mavic SLR and XT wheelset and have not experienced simular breakages.

Similar Products Used: DT Swiss 240.