Shimano XT WHM775 XC Racing Wheelset

XT WHM775 XC Racing

DEORE XT Wheel Sets are offered in designs to suit your riding style: all-around XC disc brake performance, and new beefy All-Mountain design. All models feature UST Tubeless compatibility with improved spoking patterns and proven XT hub internals.

kattrap   [Jul 07, 2013]

Light, easy tubeless, cheap, red bling

proprietary everything

These came on a used Mojo that I picked up. Wheels stayed true with my light use, hubs gave no probs with my limited use (maybe 50mi before incident below).
A mid-ride derailleur alignment issue smashed the cage into the outside set of 6 spokes (6 outside/6 inside per side of the wheel) shearing 3 outright and bending the others. Ride over, HaB out.
If the wheels didn't have this inside/outside spoke pattern, would the derailleur issue have been so dramatic? I don't think so.
I decided to replace with another wheelset (Stan's Flow) that look to be about the same price range but don't use Shimano proprietary parts (even the nipples are a larger size than standard).

I try to do my own wrenching but these are getting a pro shop clean up and straight to CL. I'm not buying more proprietary Shimano tools.