Shimano XT WH-MT75 Wheelset

The disc-specific WH-MT75 Shimano XT 29R Centerlock wheelset is designed to work with Centerlock rotors. The wheels are tubeless compatible, and tires can also be mounted with tubes. Over locknut distance is 100mm in the front, 135mm in the rear. Both the front and rear wheels have labyrinth and contact seals protecting the angular contact bearings. The rear wheel is compatible with nine-speed cassettes, with a 11t minimum cog. The hollow axles are aluminum and come with aluminum-shafted quick release skewers. The hub shell is aluminum and anodized, and it utilizes the Centerlock rotor standard. 6 bolt rotors CAN be used, but require the use of an adaptor.

Paul Smart   All Mountain Rider [Apr 15, 2013]
Strength:

Stay true direct pull wheelset, state-of-the-art spoke eyelet/rim arch wall design

Price, yesteryear UST era rim seal - Stan's no-tubes tech is best and lighter.

Unless you can get these for under $250, best spend your $450 on Stan's Arch EX with Stan's proprietary ' Hope' like uber-hubs. If your looking for no-service, bomb-proof black wheelset between $300 and $400 then stick to the tried-true and perfected post 2011 6th gen Mavic Crosstrail 29er's. They are way better/cheaper (Chain Reaction Cyclery). The MT-75's have all the attributes my co-reviewer say, however, the cone adjustment although neat and simple and one-sided, is cheaper, but still lighter than the Stans, Mavics or Hope gnarly hubs. Decide what kind of riding your going to do. I use my WH-MT55 and MT75's stricktly on my urban assault hybrid-MTB-city bike with a light (63mm travel) Suntour fork, after many months of commuting and hitting the same pot-holes, curb edges, no issues, no adjustments to date. However, know that Shimano warranty and customer service reps, parts availability and service beats 'hands-down' any of the other aformentioned brands (i.e. like Mavic service is totally non-existant! ..you may get a glimpse of them, in June, in France, riding a yellow motorcycle with non-other than wheelsets!

Similar Products Used: Mavic Crossmax, Crossride, Crosstrail, GP4's, Stans EX series, Surly Darryls, Fatback UMAs,
Matos   [Nov 06, 2012]
Strength:

Wheels strong, rigid, lightweight and with excellent acceleration. After a year of heavy use on trails and competitions needed no maintenance.

Could be a little lighter. However, I understand that this may compromise the durability of the product.

I use these wheels on my niner emd9 utlizo on trails and rocks, single-tracks, dirt road and DH. I participate in competitions and xc marathons, I'm satisfied with the shimano mt75.esta wheel is soft, especially when I use 30-35 psi in the tire specialized renegade control.

John Engström   [Aug 02, 2012]
Strength:

Light and strong
Durable setup, they are perfectly true after heavy weekly abuse during one year
Despite the fairly narrow rims, they hold 2.2 inch tires really well at 30-65 psi
Very smooth rim suitable for tubeless tires, great with tubes too
The finish cleans up easily
I have not seen any wear on the bearings/cones
They roll better after one year with almost no friction (serviced three times)

The hubs are difficult to service. The first time was really tough, the third time however it felt just like any normal service work
The worst thing about servicing the hubs is how easily the seal bushings (rubber-coated metal) bend, and Shimano warns starkly about reusing bent seals. I ended up ordering a bag of these seals, fortunately they are cheap
The second worst thing is it's really delicate to lock the cones that close the bearings when service is done. It can take over 20 attempts to lock the cones in the correct position
I think these Deore XT hubs may easily get ruined if the bearings are serviced wrong
This type of spoke nuts are only available in not very durable aluminium (a cycle tech told me), though they have not needed any truing since I bought them
The freewheel mechanism allows only minimal cleaning and lubrication, and must be removed before this can be done

I bought this wheel set in June 2011 for my Surly Karate Monkey rigid 29er build
I paid about $500 for the wheel pair at cyclecomponents here in Sweden
I often thrash across unexpected rough rocks at high speed and have come to trust these wheels fully.
I'm really happy with the weight, performance and looks of these wheels, but it's the first time I buy a wheel set so I have no comparison

JSquared   [Apr 23, 2012]
Strength:

Wheels stayed true until the end.

The rear hub disintigrated before one year of use which is pretty marginal. It is extremely difficult to mount and change tires.

Never again... I had high hopes.

Don Ward   Cross Country Rider [Sep 26, 2011]
Strength:

Value, quality and durability

None that I hzve experienced

BUilt my bike with new parts found on Craigslist and internet retailers. Wanted as much SHimano XT as I could locate. I have been very pleased with this wheelset, it has remained true inspite of my size, 210 #'s and extremely rough and rocky trails that I normally ride. I've been riding since the beginning's of mtn biking, long enough to value equipment that provides a blend of performance and durability. Even at fullprice these wheelsare worth it. For what i got them for it was a steal.

Similar Products Used: Mavic crossmax
palerider   Cross Country Rider [Aug 15, 2011]
Strength:

Fairly light wheelset, shimano durability,

none as of yet

I am very pleased so far with the performance of this wheelset. Being a big overweight ex racer (#235) I have hammered my fat arse on some of the rockyist trails. The wheels have stayed true, roll fast, and are fairly stiff. After reading some of the comments on these wheels (and other mtb parts reveiws) I am convinced that some people could break a bowling ball in a sandbox!

Similar Products Used: bontrager wheelset, king, ect.
biosurgeon   Cross Country Rider [Mar 30, 2011]
Strength:

very light

The first wheelset had a material failure of the axle. It made for a very miserable ride. The second set once warrantied cannot stay true

If you are doing alot of riding on rough terrain and are a clydesdale, these will not hold up

Similar Products Used: this was my first 29er,getting another set of chris kings made by Bob the Wheelbuilder in St. George
weeboll   Cross Country Rider [Aug 29, 2010]
Strength:

the tubless rims are good, no faffing around with conversion kits

the hub is appalling, pitting after one year and replacement axle under warrenty

these wheels started out great and really impressing me, the tubeless rims are brilliant with no burping or air loss. the hubs are the weakness however, shimanos new one side adjust cones are rubbish, the hubs are badly pitted after one year with regular servicing, mainly i suspect owning to the new cone adjust which is one side only and hard to get accurate

Similar Products Used: hope hoops
greasy_physique   Cross Country Rider [May 09, 2010]
Strength:

Relatively light and stiff, quick setup, center-locks show no issues (except rotor compatibility). Setup with 3 different tires; 1 ust, two are not. Durable so far. No hub issues as mentioned above. Affordable if you find the sale. Has leaky tire issues for several rides, resulted in heavy impact with rocks due to low air pressure, luckily no dents, dings or scratches...impressed.

Center-lock? Jury may be out but no issues for me (Shimano HG61 12-36t, formula brakes). Pricey as listed. May opt for stiffer spokes if possible.

On sale, the price is well worth this wheelset. Good rolling wheels, easy to rig, stiff enough and tough enough so far (300+ miles of XC / DH riding; rocks, roots, sand, gravel, mud etc.). I am interested to see how the hubs and surface of rims hold up after another year, update then.

Similar Products Used: First UST 29er rims
ndbike   Racer [Jan 03, 2010]
Strength:

pre-built, UST easy tubeless, quick engaging rear hub

maybe weight but they really aren't that heavy

I bought these wheels because they fit my budget and weren't too heavy. Also, I wanted a rear wheel for gears in case I get a new frame and what to run gears at some point. Actually, I looked at building wheels with Hope Pro II's, NoTubes Arch rims and DT Rev spokes but they would have been much more expensive and only minimally lighter.

The XT wheels have been a pleasant surprise in every way. Air up tires tubeless very easy. The quicker engaging rear hub is a noticeable plus. They seem to accelerate well and are plenty stiff for me. I've raced two mtb marathons on them and ridden some pretty rocky technical stuff too with no problems or complaints. I guess what it comes down to is Shimano rarely makes a bad product. At the price I paid, I'd recommend them. I never rate anything 5 of 5 so I give these a 4.