Shimano WH M775 - M776 Wheelset

WH M775 - M776

• 24 balanced spoke pattern for increased lateral stiffness
  • 20mm Thru-axle front hub
  • Ultra thin wall extrusion reinforced at spoke hole
  • Center Lock rotor mounts to the hub quickly and effectively
  • Straight and 2-cross spoke lace for increased torsional rigidity and spoke life

Joe Uberty   Cross Country Rider [May 31, 2012]
Strength:

Lightweight, good looking, hold their true even when bashing through rock gardens

Finding the valve stem can be tricky if you need to replace one.

I ride mostly x-country trails in UT, but get into rocks often (think porcupine rim trail, Magnificent 7 trail, Amasa Back trail, etc in Utah and you'll get the picture). These wheels came on a 2008 Pivot Mach 4 that I purchased with the XT setup and they ride great and hold their true. I've ruined lesser wheels on the same trails. They are not as smooth as some non-disc XTR/Mavic 717 that I have on another bike, but meet my needs between lightweight, low rolling resistance, price, and ability to take the occasional abuse. I would not recommend these wheels on a downhill bike - but then again, they are not intended for jumping off of 4 ft. drops. I weigh about 180 and ride very aggressively. I would buy these again in a nano second. I ride a between 1,000 and 1,500 miles per year and have yet to service these wheels which have > 3K miles on them. I ride tubeless with about 28 lbs pressure.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 717 with Shimano XTR hubs
VTSession   All Mountain Rider [May 08, 2012]
Strength:

Great compromise between light and strong, stiff, top notch build quality, works well with center lock/6 bolt Shimano adapters, UST works perfectly even with non-UST tires, got a great deal on the set.

I wish it had a 10 mm rear axle instead of the QR, center lock requires adapters for 6 bolt rotors.

I bought these wheels hoping to get a strong "all mountain" wheel set but still be able to save some weight on the bike. So far these wheels have been great, they feel solid and stiff while riding them hard and at about 2000 grams a pair they roll fast too. I set them up with tubeless Nevegals and it's the perfect set up for me. I just hope they hold up for a few seasons.

Similar Products Used: Transition Revolution 32s, WTB Laserdisc Trail, WTB Speedisc
xserret   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2011]
Strength:

Great stiffness hold tubeless-ready tires very well at low pressures.

Spoke tightening counter-intuitive, should be delivered with two spoke keys.

Work great even After + 1000 KM in very nasty muddy conditions and heat with my 96 kg, but no real downhill drops. Back wheel went out of true fairly quickly, but this is the usual with all the wheels I ever tried due to my weight.
Love center lock.
Very good price/quality as I bought them.

Similar Products Used: Some Mavic rims + XT hubs circa 92, many other MB wheels before that.
RalphvHyde   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2011]
Strength:

Fairly Light , looks good , UST .

Axel , cone bearing adjustment is suprising hard on the rear , after racing on my hardtail over blocked trails I notice the bearing slops radially, the hub itself is knocked out not the cone, Also the freewheel has failed after 3000km.

If you cruise around forest trails and dont go like hell down hills then you will be happy with these , if you are a serious cross country marathon rider don't take them unless you are prepared to throw them away each season.

Spares are expensive and here in Germany the hub is not available. If you are down hill or freerider steer away from these , they are not for you.

Similar Products Used: Mavic crossride , cheaper , use industrial bearing , not adjustable , are slightly heavier but do have aero spokes. so uphill slower downhill faster and safer And appear after 2000 km to be stiffer and sturdier.
Southern Boy   Cross Country Rider [Jun 23, 2011]
Strength:

Looks, stiffness.

Freehub - Do not buy!!!

Do not buy these wheels. MH775 rear hubs / freehub is garbage. Went through 2 freehubs in a years time. Freehub body has internal issues. Pawls lock up and/or do not engage. Spent time and money replacing 1st freehub body, only to have it fail the same exact way within 6 months.

Similar Products Used: Chris King, other shimano xt hubs.
SantaCruzNomad   Weekend Warrior [Sep 26, 2010]
Strength:

Sealed already for tubeless

Spokes, hubs, etc.

After a little over 2 years and moderate riding I'm on my 3rd free hub internals. 2nd failure I almost wrecked in a rock garder at about 20-25mph because rear wheel internals fail and lock up. Dangerous wheels unless you only ride XC. But then they're heavey and expensive for XC. 60 each time for new internals. LBS said these fail alot and recommended hope or kings. YAY spent 600 and now I have to spend another 800 for custom wheels!!!

If you want good wheels that wont fail every 6-9 mo. get a custom built wheel. I will be fighting this recent charge with Shimano.

Do Not Buy These!!!

Similar Products Used: n/a
Daniel Gibson   Cross Country Rider [Sep 08, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight, looks soooo cool.

Rear hub WTF?

Bought these wheels 1 yr ago and they have been awesome. Then after a ride last weekend I noticed something was wrong. The axle cones and bearings are toast. I looked at my receipt and of course it's just over 1 yr. Now I have used XT hubs since I started riding back in 91 and have never had a hub die on me like that. Then I read the reviews here and obviously something is wrong with these hubs. Now I have to wait and see what/if Shimano is going to do about it. All this right before a trip. Not cool.

Similar Products Used: Various rims laced to XT hubs.
Mountain_Rocker   Downhiller [Mar 06, 2010]
Strength:

Strong, light for AM, hubs are stealth no noise which i prefer corners tight, really good looking!

BANG FOR THE BUCK! get it!

Similar Products Used: WTB speed disc All-Mountain but performance is uncomparable its way better
jsoates   Weekend Warrior [Jan 15, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight,no maintenance required, strong wheels.

hard to figure out spoke tightening sequence.

Excellent wheelset, two years of hard riding, lot's of crashing and I only had to true the wheels once. I would definetly would buy again when building another bike.

Similar Products Used: mavics of all sizes
Robin_Hood   Weekend Warrior [Dec 18, 2009]
Strength:

Good quality rim, paint, and hub seals (only).

Freehub, Front Hub, Front Brake Center Lock, Nipples seem soft. Red anodize does not go with every bike.

Hubs are not worth the money. Suggest buying a 28mm cone wrench for the front hub adjustments. Center Lock is good on my Saint wheels, but the same quality was missed with my XT wheels. Front rotor has some play in it, but it does not affect braking. Free hub broke in less than a year, and was replaced under warranty. Shimano needs step it up in their wheel bearing and freehub manufacturing. They are using old technology, and are getting passed by the competition in the terms of innovation and quality. I love the Shimano rims; they seem to have a good quality feel and strength. These rims are some of the best hoops out there and are what I aspect from a large corporation. I would consider using a different brand of hubs with rims. If Shimano put the same time and engineering into the hubs as they did the rims these wheels would be unmatched at the current price. 4 "Chili’s" given for the "Overall Rating" because the wheels are great when working at 100%, and the quality of the rims. 1 "Chili" for the "Value Rating" because I have seen lesser wheels have less problems. These wheels are marketed for “All Mountain” use, and they should go the distance. Bottom line is I will not buy another Shimano hub until they reinvent the wheel.