Ritchey WCS wheelset(1998) Wheelset

WCS wheelset(1998)

Richey WCS wheelset(1998)

James M   Racer [Oct 07, 1999]
Strength:

Durability

Price

When I got these wheels I wieghed 225 and could thrash a back wheel. Since then I've lost 50 LB(woo hoo) and put in a tremendous # of mile loosing it. I live in Austin TX and there is no shortage of baby head and larger rocks. Combined with our hill country it is a wheel tester.
The wheels have been so durable that I rebuilt the front with Ritchy 15/18s and havent had to true it since.
If your big or just rough on wheels this could be your answer.

Similar Products Used: Multiple Mavic/shimano combos
madEG   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 08, 1999]
Strength:

beautiful! The blue ano is nicely done.
They roll forever, and the build was sound.

None yet. The lessoned brace angle of the rear hub, by way of moving the non-ds flange in, may prove to be a problem... but so far the benefit of having an easier time lacing up the wheels should prove to be worth it in the long run.

I purchased these from Performance bikes on sale for $215! They roll super fast and are pretty light. With skewer's, the weight is about 1900 grams, The came nicely tensioned and I expect them to remain so for a while... They also (kind coincidence) match the cobalt blue ano of my bikes front trangle perfectly. Other asyms that I dealt with were easier to true making this an easier wheelset for the amateur mechanic to own... not that they will ever need truing... (I hope)

Similar Products Used: mavic crosslands
xt-217's
stxrc-zac 19's
Hank   Cross Country Rider [Jan 30, 2003]
Strength:

*LIGHT*, cool anodized rims/hub, holds true

Access to front hub?

Originally I bought this wheelset because I wanted a good backup to run slicks for commuting, and keep the others for OR use. The lightness got to me, and I found them to be an advantage OR, so they are my primary set now. Not sure what prior use/abuse they had, but I got them with a slight truing adjustment needed. I haven't had to tweak since. They have proven to be very strong, and once I rebuilt the rear hub, it has been rolling oh-so-smooth! The only downside is that I can't figure how to get into the "sealed" front hub (with a straight-axle QR)... but since it's rolling smooth and free, I'm not worrying about it now. Anyone who might have a tip on getting inside the front, I'd love to hear more :-)

(My high rating considers price I paid for them and use I've gotten from them)

Similar Products Used: Tioga, Mavic 13_?, Sun CR-17's
Dave   Cross Country Rider [Jun 27, 2002]
Strength:

Weight, build quality, cool design

replacement parts hard to find

Great wheelset, good balance of weight/rigidity for lighter riders. Stayed true for a long time. Unfortunately, it's been very difficult to find replacement rims and spokes as the miles pile on. Thumbs down to Ritchey for their weak support of a discontinued wheelset.