Ritchey WCS Vantage II Alloy 29er Wheelset

WCS Vantage II Alloy 29er

Aerospace grade alloy rim for superior stiffness, lightweight and impact resistance.
The Vantage II wheel is the successor to the legndary Ritchey Vantage wheels raced to numerous National and World Cup podiums in the 1990's. With a new, wider OCR rim profile and incredibly tough new alloy, the Vantage II is at the front of the field in terms of weight, stiffness and durability.

Steve   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2014]
Strength:

Strong, light, stiff and so far durable

None so far

I started riding the Vantage Alloy II wheelset last fall and now, with just about 500 miles they have proven to be a really solid purchase. They are stiff and light and have held up to some rocky rides without complaint. I set the. In the truing stand the other day just to see what they'd be like and the rear was still perfect Nd the front needed a very minor adjustment (I probably could've left it alone but my OCD kicked in while it was in the stand;-)). I really love these wheels!

Regarding the previous review about the freehub/pawns - I have heard the pawls twice and while it was a but odd, there haven't been any issues and they continue to function nicely... Though I will keep an eye on it.

OVERALL
Doug Frederick   Cross Country Rider [Apr 21, 2014]
Strength:

Look good, rims seem durable.

I purchased the wheels new and rode them for 3 months and about 700-800 miles. After about 500 miles the pawls started to miss and by 700-800 miles it was really bad. The local bike shop inspected and contacted Ritchey and Ritchey requested the wheels be sent back to the factory. I have been without them for 6 weeks now. Front skewer not included.

See weaknesses, Disappointed in the lack of quality of the Ritchey components and the fact that they are not including a front skewer. Tubeless ready means they send rim tape and let the consumer install it. Not a big deal but I don't think the weights include rim tape or the missing front skewer. Be aware advertised weights are not accurate.