Ritchey Rock Pro Wheelset

Ritchey Rock Pro Wheelset

Ritchey Rock Pro

[Oct 18, 2005]
SOGOAK

Strength:

Like a couple guys said above, These are indestuctable. I have raced them twice and put 1,500 miles on them and they are still true, round, and even still look good. These are 36 laced to Deore LX hubs. Trick real wheel set up.

Somewhat Heavy, but they are laced heavily.

I am about 190-200 lbs. A couple guys I ride with are heavier than that. Other rims we have tried bent easily ans broke spokes. I run Michelin Comp S Light tires on these, I have had no flats in 2 years (Knock on wood.) I would guess these are mid to upper quality wheels and would reccomend them to any bigger rider.

Trek Matrix Swami Rims that came on the bike.

[Jul 18, 2000]
jonnie

Strength:

Scraxle is cool, and they're fairly light as well. A good price as well for a trick wheelset. You will also become an expert at truing inside six months.

These things won't stay in true. And the weld is terrible too.

If you are going to buy these wheels, make sure you buy a truing stand to go with them, because you are going to need it. And don't buy them unless they're on a huge sale either. If I land a simple bunny hop crookedly, the front wheel is out of true for certain. Also, the first week I had the wheelset, they went out of dish. So, say no to Ritchey wheels. Buy a Rhino or something. There is nothing more annoying than truing my wheels once a week, even if only ride them a couple of times that week.

I figure I may have a defective set, because the other guy really likes his, but I hate mine. And get some colours as well. Black has about as much personality as a dinner plate.

Sun CR17A

[Sep 03, 1999]
Ed Karjala
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Strong, relatively light, cool looking, machined sidewalls, rear OCR design..

none so far

I am a heavyweight (240+ lbs). I ride these wheels on some fairly challenging XC terrain (singletrack, fast, hilly fire-roads). I'm not afraid to get some air with these rims. I have not had to perform any significant truing since after my first ride with these wheels. I had them built up with 99 XT hubs which seem pretty bullet-proof as well so far. I have done much better than my friends with Mavics. They seem about on par with various Bontrager rims I've tried out as well. No complaints here at all.

Mavic 217 / 517, Bontrager, Lots of lower quality rims as well

[Nov 11, 2004]
Christopher Anthony

Strength:

They seem pretty durable.

Tires don't fit on them.

They came on the bike when I bought it used this summer. I was skeptical in the first palce because I found that the one pair of Ritchey tires I bought in the 90's to be just about the worst pieces of crap I ever bought for my MTB. My fears were immediately realized when I broke a tire lever and chewed up my finger tips trying to remove and replace a tire. This morning, I had to replace a flat, and both tires before heading off for a ride. This time, I literally had to CUT the old tires off the rims. The new tires barely slipped over the rims as well. And I broke another tire lever in the process. I have changed my share of tires in the last decade, and have never had this much difficulty. The only good thing is that I had slammed the rear wheel into a rock on my last trail ride. I think the tire was already flat, or close to it when I did so, judging from the small bulge on the left side of the rim and the feel of the impact. I must say, I am rather impressed with how true the wheel stayed. It does not require major truing and can be ridden normally without any truing at all. But having to cut tires off is unacceptable. Overall, my experiences with Ritchey are horrible. I will not buy any more Ritchey products. I am going back to Mavics next Spring.

Mavic CrossLand

[Dec 05, 2002]
Matt

Strength:

Totally reliable, never out of true, good looking.

None so far.

This is a bombproof wheelset. I've ridden them on super rough terrain and they have yet to show significant wear. They've lasted through two frames (hopefully, the current frame will keep going for a long time!), and outlasted a blown rear shock. Great wheels.

Mavic CrossLink