Performance Forte Tarramax Wheelset

• These heavy-duty wheels are built for the extreme cross-country rider.
  • Alloy rims with machined sidewalls for optimum braking in all condition
  • Disc hubs and rim brake compatible rims give you the choice of braking systems
  • Built tough with 32 stainless steel spokes laced 3-cross for reliable strength and durability

• User Reviews (10)

Mark Wallace   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 2012]
    Strength:

Fairly light

Spokes began breaking after only a few months of riding.

Don't buy any performance brand product!!! They do not stand about the products with their name on it!!

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Shimano
    crfoot   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2011]
    Strength:

Price..lasted

Used for over a year. From local climbs to Mammoths downhills and no problems. Cant beat the price

Similar Products Used: DT swiss
    Vociferous   Cross Country Rider [Dec 26, 2010]
    Strength:

Disc brake compatible, cartridge bearings. Strong, stiff, fairly light.

Not crazy about the painted spokes.

A good replacement when my original rim bit the dust after 8.5 years. No problems. Performance price and service is a bonus.

Similar Products Used: Vuelta VXC.
    boludaso   Cross Country Rider [Jun 17, 2010]
    Strength:

Light enuf, strong enuf.

They are not made by a swiss company

Unless you remove the bearing covers and pack with grease, do not take these in water or rain. The bearings are sealed, but after a rain ride the bearings rusted. Replaced by performance with no problem. Since then I packed the bearing area with grease and no problems. I've ridden these wheels at Mammoth, Gooseberry, Socal, Moab and Brianhead. They have taken 4 foot drops without a problem and I have never had to true them yet. Love these wheels. Wish they were prettier. Wish they were 9mm thru axles.

Similar Products Used: Too many
    wutty3   Cross Country Rider [Jun 06, 2010]
    Strength:

Sealed cartridge bearings roll SMOOOOTH especially after break-in. Looks good on bike. Light. Can be used with disk or rim brakes. Stays true and the bearings don't have to be adjusted every 5 minutes.

I'm a Schrader fan. Drilled for Presta. I'll get over it. I prefer eyeleted spoke holes but have not had any issues so far. Rims are pinned instead of welded.

I was leary of Forte wheels after I got some crap tires and a crap cassete by Forte. Almost didn't buy them but for the price. I'm glad I bought them. The hubs are great and maintenance free. Just don't overtighten your skewers. The rims are pinned instead of welded and no eyelets but I've had no issues after several runs on the trails. I ride appox 100 miles a week depending on weather and these wheels have not let me down. plus they solve some issues with brake rotor/caliper alignment. Don't know who makes Forte Wheels but they're great for the money. Buy 'em!

Similar Products Used: Crappy Shimano Deore M525 w/RhynoLite rims. The rims were bomb proof but the hubs SUCKED. AlexRims TD24(Rolled nice but crappy rims got a wheel hop on rear after the first few rides).
    Nighthawkdc5   Weekend Warrior [Apr 16, 2009]
    Strength:

Amazing quality for the price. This wheel set is dual use compatible user can choose to use either rim or disc brakes. Wheels are priced as a set after discount for 119.00 plus tax in store this price includes a 20% friendly neighbor discount. Overall this wheelset is light enough for xcountry riding with sealed hubs that spin very smoothy over rocks. I ride bmx dirt trails near my place that has pump trails and DH riding with some nice jumps. So far so good no problems whatsoever. Lookout for Forte products they are priced well and have real performance advantages over similar products priced higher. On a scale of 1-10 low-high this product rates at a strong 8. Go for it!

Rims may be too light for aggressive riding. If you are into sticker and logo power this wheelset may not be appealing to you. Physical appearance is lacking the wow factor but quality and performance make up for the looks.

Money and value are more important than overpriced products these days. If you are on a budget but are serious about the love for this sport I would recommend this product to you. I'm a weekend warrior who likes to ride hard if this product can last me until I have enough cash for my dream bike than I am totally satisfied with this purchase.

Similar Products Used: Starcircle wheel set
    tlempke   Weekend Warrior [Apr 07, 2009]
    Strength:

Light weight, relatively inexpensive, strong, they can take a beating, the hub allows you to mount discs if you have them

Haven't found any so far I am pretty impressed with the rims.

These are good rims for the money. When I was buying a new set after bending my stock rims (which I rode on for three years) I wanted to find a rim that allowed the mounting of disks brakes in case I chose to upgrade so that was a big sell point for me. Overall I am really impressed with the rims.

Zuu   Cross Country Rider [Feb 13, 2009]
    Strength:

Tough Wheelset, pretty light. cheap when on sale, every other week it seems like.

I ride 4-5 times a week on these wheels and after six months I have not had to true them once. I weigh 260+ and ride hard, not extreme but hard. I have had no problems with them yet.

Similar Products Used: alex stock wheels so I don't have much to compare to.
    Chiefer   Weekend Warrior [Jun 22, 2008]
    Strength:

Price

Durability?

I agree - The Forte' Terramax rear wheel - it's louder that normal. Also, the first big rock kicked up into it tacoed it - not enough to to keep me from riding- but I'm switching to disc brakes. I was going to buy a front Forte' and I was hoping there was more than one review. Guess I'll keep pricing.

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Bontrager
    Jameson   Weekend Warrior [May 06, 2008]
    Strength:

Wheelset feels light and strong. Tires and tubes when on fine. The combined wheelset was 1 lb lighter than products of equal price. The Back wheelset has a louder freewheel but I like this. It locks in hard.

After only 5 miles my front rim Tacoed. I weigh about 195 so I wouldn't have expected this. I Hopped a down tree and caught a small burm on the backside at an angle and that's all she wrote for this rim. I got to shoulder my bike out :(

I hate to be the first to review this product.

I have a friend who bought these same rims on a similar time frame and LOVES them.

I am a very hard rider and very demanding on my bike. it has had to have several parts replaced in the first 5 months of ownership. The rim Tacoing was probably user inflicted, however, I didn't expect these rims/wheels.. Which were marketed as very strong. To taco on a slow speed tree hop. I am not going to discourage you from trying these... But at the same time... I personally am on the hunt for a stronger rim/Wheelset