Nuke Proof Atom Bomb One-Piece Wheelset

Atom Bomb One-Piece

Nuke Proof Atom Bomb One-Piece

Keith   Cross Country Rider [Oct 28, 2001]
Strength:

Velocity rims

Everything about the rear hub design

I am updating my review below of the NukeProof Warhead wheelset as I have received multiple e-mails concerning problems people are having. Please do NOT e-mail me with issues concerning your wheelset or how to get a response from Nukeproof. There is nothing I can do for you and I think Nukeproof is out of business. The warranty wheelset was no better than the first. The rear free-hub seized up in less than a couple of months of use just like the original did. I never could get in touch with Nukeproof, so I did what I should have in the first place and bought some CHRIS KING hubs. Best decision I ever made.

Similar Products Used: None this bad
jt   Downhiller [Nov 08, 2001]
Strength:

I personally haven't had any problems.

Customer support is not available.

After reading some of the reviews here I felt the need to share some info. I have two wheelsets built with these hubs. One of them is the very first Warhead set built. I have about 3000 miles on them and they still ride fine. I have had to true them once or twice, but that's not unusual of any wheel. I also haven't had any problems with my freehubs. BTW, the freehubs used are standard Shimano LX. Any LBS should be able to help with any problems there.

As far as I know Nuke Proof is out of business. I drive by the building that housed them almost every day and haven't seen a light on in months. The last I heard they were looking to license the name. The wheels were always pretty solid, but the customer service in that place was unbelievably bad. Lack of attention to its customers killed what could have been a great company. It really is a shame. How do I know? I used to work there.

Similar Products Used: Variuos high end sets.
johnny   Cross Country Rider [Mar 13, 2001]
Strength:

Light, easy to maintain, Great Customer service!!!!

I love thease wheels! They are sweet! I have been riding them hard, I also have a pair laced to snow cat rims and they have been great all winter riding 3-4 days a week in the snow! I will recomend them to anybody.
IGNORE THE POOR REVIEWS ON THIS PAGE THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY
MAD TYPE PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT BEEN AROUND BIKING FOR LONG.
I have have been riding and building wheels for 21 years and thease things rule.

Rainshadow   [Nov 26, 2000]
Strength:

Cheap, quite light (same weight as spinergy M2 spox), plenty tough so far. I am reviewing the Nuke Proof "Warhead" wheelset: 32h double butted, alloy nipples, Bombshell carbon hubs, mystery rim (maybe a SUN?).

Don't come built that round, need a good truing after the first 100 miles or so, but that's normal. Bearing preload not adjustable or I can't figure out how. If anybody knows how, please email me!

I got a screaming deal on these online, and I have not been disappointed. My bro at the shop has a wheelset built w/ 2nd-generation Bombshell carbon hubs, and his wheels (28h, Mavic 517, double butted, alloy nipples) are the lightest wheels yet to be weighed at the shop. My hubs are "third generation", have larger flanges & larger diameter axle than his, and weigh a good 125g more per wheel, most likely due to the rim & 4 extra spokes. The front bearings are a little loose now, so the wheel clicks back and forth a tiny bit, but this is hardly noticeable and the hub is smooth as butter. The rear doesn't click, but it's not as smooth as the front. These wheels came a little out-of-round at the factory, and the rear needed a good truing after about 30 miles- lots of pinging out of the box. Nuke Proof didn't use spoke-prep on them when they built them, and one of the nipples on the rear came smashed into a trapezoidal shape. I was still able to true them up alright, and it's holding true fine. The front didn't need truing until after ~100 miles, and survived a crazy crash on a train trestle hardly the worse for wear. It was also out-of-round, but trued up quite nice. They're harsher by far than my Spinergy's as far as shock absorption goes, but they're plenty tough so far. And, @ ~$200 for the pair, an excellent, excellent deal. (Thanks Slyfox!)

Similar Products Used: Spinergy Spox
Taylor   Weekend Warrior [Oct 31, 2000]
Strength:

STILL drool resistant, starting to look better covered in trail dust, STIFF, STIFF, STIFF

cause PROUD owners like myself to post reviews every 3 months

Update- Just had my Warheads trued for the first time in 8 months and MANY, MANY miles since my last review. Man, what amazing wheels. The hubs are still as smooth as BUTTAH and that STOUT feeling never leaves me. Some of my buddies ride Bontrager/King setups and carry ON and ON about the King's racketey rear hubs, but they never seem to eager to brag about their ultralight wheels always being outta true. 'Nuff said, I'm off to blow up yet ANOTHER trail somewhere in Texas. Out.

Similar Products Used: nothing spectacular
jt   Weekend Warrior [Oct 22, 2000]
Strength:

lightweight

freehub froze up w/ minimal use

Bike from Airbomb is great,but the rear hub on the airbomb/nukeproof is as described by the 1-2 flame reviews below. Believe them. Less than 100 off-road miles and the internals are dust. Had similar problem with pulstar, but used them for 2 years before failure. Cannot recommend at any price.

Similar Products Used: lx,xt,pulstar
Taylor   Weekend Warrior [Sep 01, 2000]
Strength:

WAY cheaper than other high end wheelsets, rebuildable, Shimano freehub internals, STILL drool resistant (see review below), SOLID feel, cross-lacing for strength means less truing than ultralight Mavic's, Rolfs, Bontragers and MORE time on the trails! PRIMO customer support form Jeff @ Nuke (thanks, Bro)!

bearrings a little stiff for first 3 rides, almost TOO fine to leave all dirty from long rides

Okay, so I FINALLY got my dream rig completed 6 months ago and have since been bashing my Nukes in BLISS ever since. They seemed kinda tight once we got them skewered into my bike, and it seemed to be an on again, off again occurrance. One phone call to Jeff at Nukeproof assured me that the bearrings were indeed a little snug, and that IF they didn't smooth up, a new pair would be shipped pronto. So, I just set my skewers a little looser than usual and hammered. Three rides later, I could crank my QR's down snug with NO worries. They DO NOT FLEX! I only go about 140 pounds, but I don't ride small. I bash and bash and bash these wheels into oblivion, and I'm thrilled to say they don't even look like they need truing. Sure, maybe some heavier guys might beat them a bit out of shape, but I did a full day of practice runs at a Dual Slalom/ DH run in Smithville and they never looked worse for wear. They are smoother than ever, and they look SINISTER when compared to other chi-chi offerings on the market. They might not be as light as my buddy's Rolfs, but then, I'm not dropping my rig off at the shop once a month for niggling, ride-time consuming truings, either. They roll just fine, and when the first rebuild comes this winter, I'll upgrade the freehub to XT internals, which is a HUGE plus when on the road and something breaks (shops will stock the parts). Stop sweating the grams. My long travel rig comes in at a shade over 26 pounds (with coils F/R- air? what's AIR?) and I totally credit that to these wheels and other simple, light, tough parts you'll find my reviews of elsewhere. I sort of expect some parts to have break-in periods, so the stiffish bearrings don't affect my rating; especially since it never became a problem. And the whole Nukeproof/ Bomber theme I have going on is just TOO pimpin'. Out.

Similar Products Used: various Shimano/Bontrager combo's
Lukas Gaffey   Cross Country Rider [Aug 20, 2000]
Strength:

Light weight

I weigh 170, these wheels lasted about ywo months before the bearings went bad, in fact the inner race on the drive side cracked. Rumor was that the bearings had been over hardened, seems sketchy to me. Also the spokes on the drive side started to bend near the hub. The wheels ride great, when everything is working, but I would never buy another pair!

sorry to say they rode great but lasted the least amount of time out of all the wheels I have tried.