Mavic X221 UB Wheelset

X221 UB

Mavic X221 UB

mmont0   Weekend Warrior [Jun 11, 2008]
Strength:

Strong rim
Not very heavy for price

Not very light rims

Wheels have stayed true even after hitting a root at 30 mph with front wheel and doing a nice flip. I was amazed that nothing broke and the wheel was still in one piece.

Haven't had any problems yet and bought for new bike mated with LX hubs for a great deal.

Bruce Stroup   Cross Country Rider [Jun 16, 2003]
Strength:

I got the Wheels as a Buy It now off of E-bay for 94.00 Mavic 221/LX hube from New Revolution Cycles The wheels came True and are steel True I am very happy with the way they have performed! Thanks Mavic for a good wheel at a great price!

Mavic 138 or 517

A good wheel at A good Price

R J   [Dec 09, 2001]
Strength:

Strength? What's that?

Umm. It sucks. Oh wait.... It sucks alot.

Back in the day when I rode down single track and didn't do ANY, I repeat ANY sort of drops, I used this rim as a rear wheel laced to a no name hub. Please, do yourself a favour and not buy this. This rim sucks. Went out of true every day, and I never even did anything! I rode down SINGLE TRACK FOR GODS SAKE!

Similar Products Used: Rhyno Lites, Mavic D521's.
Lance Uppercut   Downhiller [Sep 18, 2005]
Strength:

Its a nice rim once you put some work into it, i took it to the bike shop a day after i got it because the spokes came loose. all he did was lock em tight and lock tight them. (thats right lock tight) and its holding tight

first time ride sucks so much.

its a good rim but be ready for the first ride something to fall out or somthing to break

Similar Products Used: Alex DH 20
GS   Cross Country Rider [Dec 17, 2001]
Strength:

Well....none!

Couldn't hold true. Weak rim.

Well guess they have to save money somewhere...but this wheelset was TERRIBLE. Only wheels I have ever ridden that would go out of true on a trail, even if I never crossed a log. They seemed alright on the street (long as you didn't go off a curb). I am not a small person at 6-0 and 205, and maybe they would work better for someone lighter, but for someone my size....don't waste your time, and surely don't waste your money. I put on Shimano 535's and have run them ragged. Sure...they weigh a little more (but not that much, the rear shimano with an XTR cassette was lighter than the Mavic with an LX cassette), but I don't have to true them either.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 517's, Shimano 535's
Thorsteinn   Cross Country Rider [Mar 11, 2002]
Strength:

Light. Durable. Cheap.

I have used them for over a year and done over 1000 miles on them. The first thing I did was to check if they were laced properly and since then they have not been out of true, even though the have taken some beating.

Similar Products Used: Araya TM 18, Matrix and some no names
Robrigues   Cross Country Rider [Feb 20, 2002]
Strength:

UB brake surface is very good for V-brake users, light and handbuilt easily

It's too soft if setting with basic spokes and only available in sliver colours

Mavic X221 is good for XC riders but it's too soft as Tioga XC rims, it's too weak for freeriders of course. Using DT spokes in setting to make it harder(my opinion). If people wants to go something stronger, Use X517 or X618 is a better choice.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 220/specialized disc, Araya TM-18/ Shimano LX(8spd)
C P Chambone   [Apr 17, 2007]
Strength:

Weight/price ratio, looks

Spoke breakage

Although properly tightened, rear wheel spokes keep breaking. I suspect the reason for this is that the spoke nipples don't line up with the spokes, so they're always slightly bent where they leave the nipples, which in time leads to breakage. I replaced about twenty spokes in 1.5 years of light riding. I weigh 190 pounds, but ride this bike around town most of the time. Riding off a curb is already where it starts getting risky. You probably won't come across these wheels anymore, but if anyone tries to push these on you don't fall for it.

Wayne   Cross Country Rider [Sep 10, 2002]
Strength:

Light weight, looks nice with brass nipples.

Does not stay true and dents after hard riding.

Rims held up very well for the first four years on the hardtail, where I would baby the bike on jumps and rough terrain to avoid crashes. Occasionally did some hard rides, but I picked my lines carefully. No truing was ever needed.

But recently I started riding with much faster people on full suspension bikes, and following their lines over everything. The 221's have required truing after every few hard rides. I've even picked up two nasty dents in the rear from hard trail riding, so in addition to the seam gap, I can feel two more thuds under braking. And I'm only 135 lbs.

3 chilis for light weight and good looks, but it can't take the pounding of a hardtail when it really counts.