Mavic Speedcity Disc Wheelset

Speedcity Disc

Mavic Speedcity Wheelset 2011: The Speedcity can fit any MTB, with or without disc brakes (thanks to its optional V brake adaptor). It's the perfect road wheel for your MTB: stiff to withstand the brutality of interval training...

dub.hook   Weekend Warrior [Oct 07, 2009]
Strength:

It just rolls without ANY resistance
Bulletproof and stays true

Cost is high, but not un-reasonable

These wheels are AMAZING. They just roll, and roll, and roll. I didn't know what I was missing with the stock Shimano wheels, but when they finally broke I decided to upgrade. These are the perfect choice for me. Smooth on the road and can take a beating on the trails.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
OVERALL
wamcneil   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2009]
Strength:

Ability to transform your disc brake mountain bike into a Hybrid/Flat Bar Road Bike by just swapping the wheels.
Tough wheels; will stand up to bashing on curbs and potholes.

I was looking at buying a city bike or hybrid to use as a commuter/grocery getter and realized that the cannondale badboy is just a mountain bike with road wheels and flat black paint.
So, I didn't need a city bike, I just needed some 700c disc wheels, a road cassette and hybrid tires for my MTB! Call me dumb, but I never realized that the overall diameter of a 26" mountain wheel/tire is approx the same as the overall diameter of road wheel/tire. I swapped the front wheel of my road bike onto the mountain bike to confirm...
These SpeedCity wheels are essentially 29er wheels, but they have a pretty narrow 13mm rim like a road wheel, but are built tough like a mountain wheel.
Just swap the wheels and you instantly swith from MTB to Hybrid; which in my opinion is a MUCH better solution than putting slicks on 26" wheels (only applicable if you have disc brakes of course...)
I gave them 4 chilis instead of 5 just because they are a bit expensive. You could buy a nice used hybrid bike for what these wheels cost new!