Mavic Crosstrail Wheelset

High endTechnologies and features have madeThe Crosstrail one ofThe best performance MTB wheelsets in its category. For 2011 it weighs 150 g lessonThe scale and has a distinctive new graphic. AddToThatThe abilityTo run Centerlock or 6 bolt rotors, and qr or 15mmThru front axle. Like previous versions it still offers USTTubeless orTubed compatibility. Who said reasonable couldnt be appealing and high performance? USTTubeless or standardTube compatible Double anodized rim with Maxtal construction

jamatt   [Oct 28, 2012]
Strength:

They stay true and the bearing quality seems good

The freehub is weak. This is the second (and last) set of Mavic wheels I've had that the freehub went bang and locked up in the middle of a ride.

Freehub quality is a fatal flaw.

mtbbiker@heart   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2009]
Strength:

Lighter than the wheel set I am replacing. Solid materials used through out.

Having to deal with Mavic (if I have an issue), due to the proprietery design.

Decided to upgrade my older Rolf wheel set. So looking for replacement I researched several brands, and Mavic has had a solid reputation over the years. So far, these wheels have held up on very rocky terrian. They have settled in and remained true. They are lighter than my old set, and roll smoother. I also like the idea of either going tube or tubeless. If you are looking for a rim brake only set of wheels, with upgraded materials you can't go wrong with this set.

Similar Products Used: Rolf (Bontrager)
Jim   Cross Country Rider [Jul 30, 2007]
Strength:

A light, strong, smooth wheelset for the price point.

Proprietary design means you're stuck working with Mavic through an authorized dealer to get you back up and running.

I bought this set as a replacement for a Trek 8000 that does not sport disc tabs. For the price, I could not find a lighter wheelset for the price and wanted to try Mavic's middle of the road offering. I was concerned about the low 18 spoke count in the front and 20 count in the back. I have had time to ring them out and have found these wheels to be very rigid and strong, despite the low spoke count. I have commuted with a rigid fork and have also ridden trails in Oregon's national forests using an 80mm suspension fork. On trails, I have climbed mountain trails hard in granny gear with no discernable flex in the rear at all. On the way down, flying down single track or fire roads, I have jumped/dropped a handful of times around 1-2 ft of air. On inspection afterward, not a single budge in the wheelset, just straight and true. I need to add that I weigh 235 lbs without gear and that I am a former bmx racer. I ride hard, but still these wheels perform under the weight load with ruts, small drops, and occasional rock garden slams when exhaustion sets in. So far I have found this wheelset to be a great deal for what I paid. I have heard stories about Mavic's customer service, although I honestly don't anticipate any problems if I haven't had any yet. The good thing is that the freehub is redesigned now and supposed to be much more durable than the last few years. Maintenancing the freehub is critical for longevity with Mavic wheelsets, so do not forget to service the freehub at recommended intervals if you buy them.

Similar Products Used: Mavic crossride, WTB Dual Duty, many different builds on shimano XT hubs.